You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 26. Oktober 2018 at 5:47 PM, Chris S T said:

how can you do leader lines etc without changable arrowheads?

Until you have such a tool, you can do it with a “Curve”, “Convert to Text Path” and a suitable font. (A tab makes things easier.)

Where are the line arrowheads? It's been at least 4 years now since they were mentioned in the development road map...

Actually, I think that line start and finish symbols (not just arrow heads) should be implemented in the same way as in Microsoft Visio where you can select what appears at the start and end of a line. A lot of diagrams call for symbols (ie an open circle) at the start of the line. Others call for crow feet, diamonds as well as filled in/outline arrow heads Also, the lines should be able to be attached to a shape and move with that shape when the shape is re-positioned.

If you REALLY want to up the ante then it should be possible to edit/add to the list of symbols by including your own designs.

If this sort of functionality can be implemented then Designer would double its usefulness as I can then drop using all the other drawing packages I have to use and only use Affinity Designer.

Line ending shapes are about the only thing I REALLY find lacking in this superb tool. Ronnie's arrow set works OK but I've noticed some strange artifacts with the line ends that I can't seem to get rid of.

The lack of this feature truly ruins what would otherwise be hands-down the best illustration tool out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this topic!

I have used Corel Draw for years and years.

Have tried Adobe Illustrator, YUUUCK!!!

But I have fallen in LOVE with Affinity Designer for MacOS!!!

I use vector illustration software quite a bit in, believe it or not, construction management and estimating.

Never know when I have to create my own plans details, or illustrate an existing condition in the field.

BUT...line/curve arrows are the cornerstone of Designer's purpose in my life, and they're missing!!

From what I can tell, in spite of this frequent and long lived request from many others before me, they've been missing since inception.

Every time I need to make a drawing, I have to fumble around with the arrow shape tool. 

Very frustrating.

AFFINITY...PLEASE ADD ARROW HEADS TO LINES/CURVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While you're at it, dimension lines, with a scaling feature would be a great Christmas present for us this year.

If you take a peak at BluBeam Revu, you will find some great tools for the construction industry.

I'd be willing to pay (a reasonable price, i.e. $20 to $50) for a Designer Construction Add-On pack that will add scalable dimension, area, volume, and perimeter tools.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding my voice to the need for even a basic implementation of arrowheads, as it stands even powerpoint is more effective! It's pretty clear Affinity are not interested in those of us who require such a feature for technical/scientific drawings, and instead the focus is on more artistic outputs.

Sadly the only real option is to leave bad reviews on the App Store and move on, unfortunately they've already got our money. The only way companies will listen is if it begins to affect their bottom line. Anyone have any good recommendations for alternatives?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 5:11 PM, nano_fred said:

Anyone have any good recommendations for alternatives?

Actually Serif have/had  a prog called Draw plus which support arrowheads.

Patric Connor from Serif wrote this article   2 months ago. Fortunately for me I already have it. Here is what it can do :

2018-12-27_004136.png.340b67de01919c20a59febb8eef38810.png

About 20 different arrowhead :

2018-12-27_003907.png.03491c9fd2782bc2c28a0b20af6abc49.png

Line styles :

2018-12-27_004053.png.d45aa58bb8f81119b06877144b63125a.png

...and most can be created with the arrow shape and all can be created in Affinity apps and more besides and applied as brushes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 12/26/2018 at 11:44 PM, Jon1 said:

About 20 different arrowhead :

2018-12-27_003907.png.03491c9fd2782bc2c28a0b20af6abc49.png

Note the scrollbar near the bottom of the screenshot. Those 20 heads (most of which are actually tails!) represent fewer than half of the choices available in DrawPlus.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

A bunch of software offers to use/reuse these until the Affinity products offer these themself. The example the free LibreOffice Suite (Draw, Impress ... etc.) offers a bunch of those.

libreoffice601-colibre.jpg.dc233d6bb400255cf88b0febc587abe3.jpg

Further beside graphics software like LO Draw or Inkscape, most presentation software like Powerpoint, Keynote, Impress etc. also do offer different arrowheads and arrow connectors for drawing diagrams and the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Oval said:

Guess what will happen if (small) arrowheads will be expanded …

Maybe it will go right, maybe it will go wrong. Matt said that's something he is going to work on.

Best regards!

On 2/5/2019 at 7:59 PM, Oval said:

Wrong answer.      We’ll get cat's paws together with a scratch on the index finger:)

If time proves you right, then there is nothing else to say, is there?

Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Jon1 said:

Not yet , only in the Mac version.

Yes, but if Mac has it Windows will have it soon. (Or soonish.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, Jon1 said:

Not yet , only in the Mac version.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but if Mac has it Windows will have it soon. (Or soonish.)

Mac has always been the 'favoured son' of Affinity - (perhaps) understandably so as the 'Mac market' was a market that Serif had never had and which they had to capture in order for Affinity to succeed, But that still doesn't stop it rankling at times with those Windows users who have supported them over the years, when the Mac users treated Serif as a 'joke'.