You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've reluctantly held off using AD mainly due to its lack of paths with arrowheads. OSX 10.12 killed my Illustrator CS 5.1, so I'm now converting my AI files to AD. That is working fine, actually great! Thanks. There's truly so much to like about AD, and now with V 1.5 and the inclusion of symbols, that's a huge improvement. I can see symbols will greatly help with my need for "Find and Replace." But as we all know, no arrowheads is a real productivity killer for those of us creating technical illustrations. Please make it a higher priority. Thanks again for a great app. $49.99 one time verses $20/month for AI... It's a no brainer!

• 2 weeks later...

Arrow heads in progress... This is what I hear since two years. Very frustrating. Here is a little list of software that allows drawing arrows just to see with what AD still cannot compete:

Inkscape

Gimp

OmniGraffle

Paint2 (!)

EazyDraw (!!)

and PowerPoint

and I know that PowerPoint is no design software, but imagine that even horrendous Microsoft "software" offers this simple feature. 

Please, if there is a most wanted list, I am pretty sure this topic should be somewhere on top. Please make it happen for us guys who are not simply drawing beautiful colorful pictures. Cheers.

I'm not a graphics wiz by any stretch, but I find the sarcasm in one or two posts in this thread somewhat annoying.

I use Serif Page Plus for producing 500+ page books with loads of screenshots. I can do all my simple illustration work on a "free" copy of Adobe CS2, including drawing a line at any angle with an arrowhead to point at something on a screenshot, and now I'm trying to move to Affinity in anticipation of the Publishing program I'm trying to use Designer. The current method - creating a double headed arrow with the arrow tool and then having  switch off one end of the arrow and then having to rotate it - has probably added hours to to the production of my last book.

So, please, soon :-)

Since you're adding arrowheads, how about some dimensioning and working to scale in fractional inches to go with them? There is no good graphic design program that has dimensioning except Canvas on Windows. So no way to do technical drawings except CAD and SketchUp ...

• Staff

tnoll,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Dimensions are not on the roadmap, but I expect the programmers have an idea where they fit in the overall plan for the Affinity range.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

The current method - creating a double headed arrow with the arrow tool and then having  switch off one end of the arrow and then having to rotate it - has probably added hours to to the production of my last book.

I use curved paths with arrowheads on one end for callouts. My workaround, which adds a ton of time to my workflow, is to draw the path and draw a small triangle. Then I align the triangle at the end of the path. It works, but doing it is crazy!

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for arrowheads. Like others, I have to resort to Autodesk Graphic (formerly iDraw) when I need arrowheads. Plus Graphic can also attach a text label to the dimension line, which is a great feature, but at this point I'd just be happy for a simple arrowhead style option in Designer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Simply set up a brush with the desired arrows and your done. That's not rocket science

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Having in mind such a long pause since last Designer Beta, maybe we could expect a supprise and it could even be arrowheads in the upcoming update?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I draw textile products and need to draw simple arrows ( options to have arrows or dots etc at both ends of a line) and to have a simple way to click select a line width. Love the look of Affinity Designer but this is not a usable tool till this simple function is added. I am looking for a mac alternative to Corel Draw, which does all I could want. In hope and anticipation..!