You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Big eyed yellow thing.

denironaut

So after a few weeks playing with Affinity tonight I decided to scan in a drawing to see what I could come up with. I have to tell you I love this software.

I first traced the outline and filled with black to create a solid silhouette, I then created all the other objects in front.

Hope you like!

post-2135-0-33271900-1416526985_thumb.jpg

post-2135-0-40091600-1416527078_thumb.jpg

Nice! this reminds me of a gentler version of these guys! 38758c5229122816b38c1e61254bb2a5.jpg  NIce job on the eyes they really jump off the screen. 

Cool. Would never have thought to put, what turns out to be the outline, behind the other objects. Excellent stuff!

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

There really no right or wrong way. You just have use the way that work best for you and your art.  There are numerous ways to go about shading it really depends on what style you are choosing for your image. Sometimes I use a pixel base brush to so shade sometimes I use black and white to working value and then overlay color on top.Sometimes I just use gradients to illustrate shading. Sometimes I use the same color  and just change blending modes to and adjust the opacity of layers to get the level of shading I am looking for, this is probably the most flexible method. Maybe I will have some time to create a tutorial over the weekend to illustrate what I mean.

I think your method works well, whether you have the outline at the back or the front is up to you and the nature of the outline, I like working this way, it's easy to change things as you go. Very nice work :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

Yes pretty much so, I'm not sure if this should be normal practice, it just seemed to work in this instance. Not sure what the pro's do!

Mmm, done well you have young Jedi! The end, does justify the route. Job done.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

@Kathrin

As promised here a video on one of the shading techniques I explained earlier. I will try and produce a few more this week but hopefully it will give you an idea  on how to use one technique to shade your art.

Click here to watch the video 

hope this helps.

There really no right or wrong way. You just have use the way that work best for you and your art.  There are numerous ways to go about shading it really depends on what style you are choosing for your image. Sometimes I use a pixel base brush to so shade sometimes I use black and white to working value and then overlay color on top.Sometimes I just use gradients to illustrate shading. Sometimes I use the same color  and just change blending modes to and adjust the opacity of layers to get the level of shading I am looking for, this is probably the most flexible method. Maybe I will have some time to create a tutorial over the weekend to illustrate what I mean.

The wrong way makes you bang your head against the wall. :angry:

The right way makes you bang on and on and on... :D

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

• 4 weeks later...

Cool. Would never have thought to put, what turns out to be the outline, behind the other objects. Excellent stuff!

Did you know that a certain character in Shrek got created this way?

500px-Gingy_1.jpg

If it works go for it.

peter

PS by the way, it works!