You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm struggling to find beginner tutorials that aren't too much too fast (1 hour of drawing condensed into 3 minutes) or too little (explains basic features but no drawing tutorial). 

I sketched out several figures and now I want to put down vector based lines and erase my pencil marks. Here's my problem: (true novice here, bear with me) I put in my first line and adjusted it just fine, but now when I try to put in another line, it automatically connects it to my first line and that messes them both up. I cannot figure out how to draw another line without it automatically linking to my first line. 

Help, please? Any advice or links to tutorials would be very welcome. I've been reading through the menu in "Affinity Designer Help," but this is my very first time trying out a drawing tablet and I'm feeling handicapped by my lack of previous exposure and knowledge. Almost ready to give up and go back to paper, except.... this program looks SO INCREDIBLE. Please help. I need to figure out how to make this work!!

You can start a new line by pressing the Escape key. That will deselect the current object so the next click with the Pen or Pencil tool starts a new curve. If you are editing a curve (so that one or more of its nodes are selected) it may be necessary to press Escape twice, once to deselect the nodes, & the second time to deselect the whole curve.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Also, try using the pencil and the brush tool. Unlike the pen tool, the stroke does not continue after pen pressure/mouse click stops. The pen tool is more like connect from one dot to the next. The escape key stops the current set of points. Like the pen tool, the brush and pencil strokes can be modified after they are made. So roughing in an outline can look quite skeletal or bland, but with adjustments can be made much more subtle.

Example w. pencil:

post-34886-0-08969800-1484355655_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet