You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More Crop Shapes in Affinity Photo?

I'm using only Affinity Photo, not Affinity Designer, which may have more crop shapes, but I would love to see some additional crop shapes (in addition to ellipse, star, heart, etc) in Affinity Photo.  Different edges, & a variety of other object shapes. Or am I missing something? Thanks!

• Staff

Hi CH Trippe,

The shapes found in my attached screenshot are the only shapes available in Affinity Photo at the moment. I will move this thread to our Feature Requests section :)

C

post-12469-0-91420200-1484317238_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you!  As a Mac user, I was only too  happy to switch from PE Elements (8) to Affinity, but one thing PE did have was an extensive selection of crop shapes. I have to confess I only got around to using a couple of them before I made the switch to Affinity, but now that I actually understand layers, the possibilities are quite intriguing. 

Thank you!  As a Mac user, I was only too  happy to switch from PE Elements (8) to Affinity, but one thing PE did have was an extensive selection of crop shapes. I have to confess I only got around to using a couple of them before I made the switch to Affinity, but now that I actually understand layers, the possibilities are quite intriguing. 

Hmm,

why aren't you using the pen tool to create the shapes you need on a crop layer and put the image to crop inisde that crop layer? Just search for "Layer clipping" in affinity help.

Do you still have PS Elements installed, Caroline? If so, you could simply save your favourite shapes as PSD files for placing in your Affinity documents. I have PSE 13 here, and the Crop Shapes category alone contains three dozen shapes, so this isn't something I would want to do for every available shape in all categories, but maybe there's a CSH to PSD converter out there somewhere.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

maybe there's a CSH to PSD converter out there somewhere

While looking for such an animal, I found this. The 'Lite' (i.e. free) version allows me to see thumbnails of the shapes in File Explorer on Windows. Unfortunately, there is no Mac version, but there is an alternative (paid for) program which runs under Adobe AIR and will therefore also work on a Mac; the latter program also has an export feature, but it apparently only exports to PNG.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi CH Trippe,

The shapes found in my attached screenshot are the only shapes available in Affinity Photo at the moment. I will move this thread to our Feature Requests section :)

C

Why are the first three shapes in your screenshoot not included with the other in Designer like in Photo? They exist as a separate tools in the palette. And the rounded rectangle should be removed from the list of shapes because special red handles could be added to the regular rectangle.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

And the rounded rectangle should be removed from the list of shapes because special red handles could be added to the regular rectangle.

Nothing needs to be added to the regular Rectangle Tool. We can already go to the Context toolbar and change the corner type to 'Rounded'. :)

Alfred spacer.png