You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't access all shapes

Given that it is cat day, today....

On my MacBook Pro, I've been trying to access the cat shape at the bottom of the shapes flyout. 

I can access the shapes as far as the call out, but I can't get the tear, heart or cat to work.

It makes no difference whether I"m in my default screen view or if I go to full screen. I've tried jiggling all sorts of things but to no avail.

I'll check my windows version asap.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

It works just fine on my Windows version, just not on the Mac

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

Which version of which app are you running on your MBP? There was a problem (which I thought had been fixed in an update) that had something to do with the Dock: I don't have a Mac, so I'm not sure of the details.

Meanwhile, you can customize the tools (at least in AD, and possibly also in the Mac version of APh) to add the Cat shape separately instead of depending on the flyout.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I haven't customized the tools on the Mac - and that will have to wait until a bit later, anyway, it was the old story of - I thought I'd just play with AD on the Mac whilst I had a cuppa... :)

My Flickr Album

That's great, thanks :)

In the meantime I have saved my Windows Cat in a document :D :D :D

My Flickr Album

Yes, I pointed out this bug in the past as well. I assume you are using Designer since this doesn't happen in Photo. Alfred made a good point if you don't want to install the latest beta. Edit your file in Photo (if you own that as well), add your shapes, and then edit your file back in Designer. You will still have that vector quality.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

This was already fixed in the latest Beta. The fix will be included in the next Mac App Store update.

Is this maybe a bug that just affects certain Mac models or OS versions? I am running AD 1.5.4 on El Capitan & all the shape tools work fine for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the info, but I will happily wait for the Designer update, I was only going to play with the cat - now I'm playing with the accounts instead :) Info noted, though :)

My Flickr Album

That is a good description of the problem, yes.  I did move the AD Window but the menu still overlapped the dock - that was the part I couldn't resolve. And whilst I'm much happier with the Mac now than when I first bought it, I couldn't fix it so that the menu was in the main area of the screen only.

My Flickr Album

Is this maybe a bug that just affects certain Mac models or OS versions? I am running AD 1.5.4 on El Capitan & all the shape tools work fine for me.

Did you try using the bottom three from the flyout (excluding the cat)? Those are ones that can't be selected.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

They were the three that I mentioned in my first post, yes.

My Flickr Album

Did you try using the bottom three from the flyout (excluding the cat)? Those are ones that can't be selected.

Yes, I can access all of them (& the cat). I think from what Sean said, the difference may be that I am using a 27" iMac so there is no spillage of the Tools palette into the Dock area.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7