You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

sometimes paint brush doesn't work

It occurs repeatedly, that the paint brush tool doesn't work. I can switch to the pixel tool - it works. Switching back to paint brush - it doesn't. The preview of the paint brush is still visible.

The only solution at the moment: safe the document and reopen it again. Now the paint brush works (for a while).
Thiss issue occured first time when I worked on a large image (7000x5000px)

If it is a bug, try to find a reproducible way for this. Otherwise the developers cannot do anything about it, if they or the testers cannot reproduce it after trying for some time.

More information like available layers, selections, brush settings would certainly help also.

Same issue here, and it's been like this since the very first beta I tried.

This persisted in the final release and new betas as well.

I can't find a way to reproduce it. It only happens randomly.

As Maxen suggested, the only way to temporary fix it is by closing and re-opening the document.

I didn't notice if it is strictly related to large images only, I'll see if that's the case.

It could be, as when the issue happens I tend to create a new 1920x1080 document to check if the brush is working at all and in the new document it does.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

It may also be something to do with the size of the brush.

I use a couple of large files to test my WFs on when a new version comes out and I notice I can get very long delays on the largest of those files when I paint masks. Of course brush sizes tend to be larger on larger files. I put it down to machine specs but maybe it's not?

As an experiment on a large file when the brush seems to have stopped working, leave it for a couple of mins to see if really is frozen or if it eventually catches up?

Big brushes cause probs in a lot of editing softwares out there, specially in large canvases, I thought I'd mention...

IE: in PS you can lag a lot of machines with a large brush. Is often hardware dependent , so, yep, "till some extent" with better hardware you might be able to paint with larger brushes. But in some apps, the gain is too minimal (there can be other limits in play, too). In my machine, a 2500 pixel brush size wont paint close to decent in a large canvas in any software application... true that my machine is not low end, but too old (so, is low end, actually...)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Hello,

Same issue here, but I have a way to reproduce the issue (AP beta 1.5.1.54, Windows 7, wacom intuos CTH-480 tablet):

1.I open a pic where I'm working (three layers, 3200 x 5000 px, aRGB)

2.Select one of the DAUB brushes, ex. DAUB Bristles, Large Fibers | Dense Gouache

3.Paint something over my image with my wacom tablet (pressure controls size checked)

4.Then I create a new document, 1350 x 1800, aRGB

5.Draw something with the same brush on the new document

6.Then I go back to my first image.

7.I try to paint something, but nothing is painted. On the second (new) document, the brush works OK.

8. Reopen my first doc.

9. Paint on first doc with the brush, it works again.

10. Try to paint on the second/new doc, now it fails.

etc...

So it seems to fail when I open a second doc and use the brush there.

I discovered that this brush have on dynamics: flow jitter 100%, pressure. If I lower the flow jitter value, I can paint again, darker as I lower this value, but doesn't work with the original 100% value. So If I want to recover the brush, I have to reopen the image.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

It's definitely not the brush size. I just had the same problem with a 7px-brush. It's something in process of the file. I can switch to an other open file an paint with the brush tool without any problems, even if the brush doesn't work in the first file. I can switch back to the first file and it won't work again.

Only solution till now: save and reopen the file.

Can confirm, is not the brush size.

Like I said before, closing and re-opening the document, using the same brush size, painting works again.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• 3 years later...

Now is 2020 and I have this problem! Please Affinity finally solve it. It is really annoying to always have to close the program and reopen my file in order to continue working. The brush also stops working with a single document open and 8px brush size.

Some basic brushes still keep on working but e.g. the whole pencils-brushes stopped working.

Switching to another program and then coming back to affinity seemed to trigger it, also putting the computer to sleep, but now it also started to happen in the middle of a stroke. Restarted three times in 2 hours. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've just come across the problem myself and tried every suggested 'solution' mentioned in every forum I could find, but to no avail. 

Had to abandon the project for the time being.

More than three years and still not sorted? 

Pretty poor.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Franco Aversa said:

Hi, in Windows version 1.9.0.815 the brushes do not work. Maybe you already knew. Thank you.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Franco.

What application are you using? The moderators will need to know in order to move your post to the proper forum, as you've posted in the pre-1.9 beta forum, which is not the right spot for a 1.9 beta report.

Also, can you provide more information on the problem, as the paint brushes are clearly working for many users. Screenshots including the Context Toolbar and the Layers panel would help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.