You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, you can draw anything you want with the Pen Tool, it takes a little practice, and then you would become a pro.
Here is a good toturail on the basics of the Peb Tool and Corner Tool.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_lSHZv5y0

Also, you can draw one leg and make a copy and reflect it to the other side, so both will match, just like the arms, in illustration you provided.
Good article by the way about from the link in your post.

It is two years old & slightly out of date, but the Affinity Designer - Pen Power video on Vimeo is still a good introduction to using the pen tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If, like me, you have very limited drawing skills, you might want to try doing what I do: start with shapes made using the Shape Tools, convert them to curves (Cmd+Return or Ctrl+Enter, depending on whether you're on a Mac or Windows) and then use the Node Tool to tweak the shape as desired. For example, to draw the legs in that drawing I would start by drawing two concentric ellipses and subtracting the smaller one from the larger one by selecting both objects, going to the Geometry toolbar and Option/Alt-clicking on the 'Subtract' icon to create a compound object, allowing me to adjust the two shapes individually.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To get a grasp of the process, try searching on "drawing bezier curves," or "drawing b-splines." There's about a 1/4 million pages. Most are redundant. The basics will be in most. Pick a node, give it a good position, and then carefully manipulate the node handles to adjust the line to the next node. Every app I've used has slight variations, but that is the basic and sometimes tedious way to get the exact curve that is needed.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

that animated gif is really helpful...thanks.

I did the best I could so far. Not completely happy, but will continue to learn.

Meanwhile, another question: I did the arm and hand as two separate pen drawings and then placed them next to each other with snapping enabled. My question is: how do I get the border where they meet to disappear?

post-47315-0-46139400-1484425643_thumb.png

Meanwhile, another question: I did the arm and hand as two separate pen drawings and then placed them next to each other with snapping enabled. My question is: how do I get the border where they meet to disappear?

Choose the Node Tool and drag on one of the curves (i.e. either the arm or the hand) so that it overlaps the other one. Select both curves and click on the 'Add' icon on the Geometry toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 years later...

how i can beging pen tool with curve. always starts line one solution i found use another point same place where is begings but after this when want in beetween points line first is always curve very sad. i try draw one kind flower and i cannot get one kind roundness for example when i use bitmaps. and as all know we cannot scale bitmap freely and rotate it lossless way.