You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator user new to Affinity designer, needs help with pen tool

Hello everyone

I recently got Affinity designer after years of Illustrator. I love the program but am still getting the hang of it.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the curves I want whilst using the pen tool?

Just like on Illustrator, I click once with the pen to create a point. I click again to create the next point. The line path from point A to point B has a really wonky curve and is not at all what I want. This mainly happens when I'm drawing clouds or trees.

I can't seem to get the perfect line and curves that I want without using the node tool to edit my lines or just using smart mode. Dragging the mouse doesn't help me to get the curves or shape I want either.

Is this just the way Affinity works or is there some setting that I am unaware of?

i'd really appreciate any advise here!

Thanks so much :)

Try using the pencil tool. It responds just to the mouse or tablet pen motion. It creates nodes like the pen, but the control handles are automatically balanced. The stroke width can be modified afterwards if necessary.

If you have a tablet and pen, it works really well.

The pen is better for more geometric forms, not gestural ones.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet