You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fit window to canvas size

In Photoshop I usually liked to use the preference that the window size would always change to fit the canvas size when zooming. But I can't seem to find a similar preference in either Affinity Photo or Designer. There is Zoom to Fit, but that resizes the canvas, not resizes the window. And even when I zoom in and out, the canvas does not zoom from the center point of the window. It's all a bit frustrating managing the windows when I want to focus on the content, and for something which Adobe nailed years ago. Please just copy their behaviors on window sizing!

Just curious, but what do you find objectionable about leaving the application window at whatever default size you set it to? Personally, I prefer to set it to nearly full screen size, leaving just enough room on the screen to make it easy to access any other window of any app I want to use or reference while Affinity is open. There is also full screen mode, which maximizes the available screen space, devoting all of it to the app (& turning off updating most other apps running in the background to devote all the system resources to the frontmost one).

Basically, by making the window very large, I minimize the amount of zooming required to see most of the canvas. I can also zoom to any part of it using the Zoom tool or the keyboard shortcut (spacebar plus CMD) -- zooming is centered around the pointer, not the center of the window (I have 'scrubby' zoom enabled in Preferences > Tools). For all the Zoom tool options, refer to the Status bar at the bottom of the window with the tool selected.

Zooming from the center of the window would be very annoying for me, often requiring a follow up pan with the View (hand) tool to get to what I wanted to work on into the window at the desired zoom level.

Also, if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel or the equivalent, don't overlook the "Use scroll wheel to zoom" option in Tool preferences. This will allow you to zoom in & out around the pointer with any tool selected, & even do so simultaneously while using another tool to work on the canvas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just curious, but what do you find objectionable about leaving the application window at whatever default size you set it to? Personally, I prefer to set it to nearly full screen size, leaving just enough room on the screen to make it easy to access any other window of any app I want to use or reference while Affinity is open. There is also full screen mode, which maximizes the available screen space, devoting all of it to the app (& turning off updating most other apps running in the background to devote all the system resources to the frontmost one).

I often have multiple files open at the same time, so setting the window to full screen is not an option.

But even when I only have one file open, the window behavior doesn't work for me. If the canvas zoomed based on mouse position defining the center, maybe that wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't. The result is a feeling that I have little control or precision. And frankly maybe it's OCD, but seeing extra window area around the image drives me crazy. I just want files to open with the window fitting the image size, I don't want to waste time resizing windows. If the image can't fit on the screen, it should be scaled down, but the window should always fit the image's proportions until I manually resize it. And if I drag the window edges manually, the image area should always stay centered within that window. This is all stuff Photoshop does and it feels right. Affinity's window behaviors feel haphazard and I feel like I'm constantly working against them.

If the canvas zoomed based on mouse position defining the center, maybe that wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't.

It should do this. How exactly are you using the Zoom tool? Do you have "scrubby zoom" enabled in the app preferences?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It should do this. How exactly are you using the Zoom tool? Do you have "scrubby zoom" enabled in the app preferences?

It is enabled, though I don't actually know what that option does. I turned it off and the zoom behavior is still the same – it does not zoom with the mouse as the central point, but seems to always zoom from the center of the image. Ah wait, I turned on the mouse wheel zoom and it does. I never use that (as I like to scroll through the image), instead using the Command key shortcuts, which don't seem to have the same mouse focus behavior.

Regardless, that doesn't solve the window sizing problem.

With the Zoom tool selected, check what the Status bar at the bottom of the window says about the zooming options. Have you tried them all?

Affinity Photo 

I've been mentioning this topic plenty of times. You may search for a list of window reladed feature request in the dedicated section of this forum. Workflow issues - primarily the catastrophic window handling - does not seem to be an issue for AffinityPhoto development. Maybe they are to busy debugging crashes and even bigger problems... on the other side seeing they released a very early beta as final windows release there obviously is a lot of pressure on right now. Hopefully one day these issues will be acknowledged and addressed

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

DarkClown, where do you see a request for this feature in the feature request section? I can't seem to find anything like that, but maybe I am not using the right search term.

Affinity Photo 

I mentioned that quite some time ago and resumed it in my feature list:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33589-ap-new-handling-and-functional-features/

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

I have the same problem as Dogcow used to have, about the windows sizes that doen't fit the canvas size when zooming or dezooming... This feature exists in Photoshop, I used it everyday because I have lots of documents to open in the same time. It's impossible to work without this for me, here in 2021 do you know if this problem has been resolved ?

Just lost 3 hours work because of that....(I'v already tried many techniques as using the navigation window, the "Cntrl + 0" and "Cntrl + 1" shortcut....)

Thanks for your help