You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo How To Impaint Highlights On People's Faces?

Hi all

I am a newbie so please forgive me if the question is trivial and/or has already been asked and answered.

As an assignment to make a presentation I have been given a bunch of JPGs taken indoor with a flash. There aren't red eyes, probably automatically corrected, but there are many of those tiny reflections especially on women's lipstick, eyelashes, hair, and so on. They are fully clipped so a regular highlight correction is useless. It would rather need an impainting technology. I can't imagine myself correcting each of those highlights with the Impainting Tool. I am not supposed to do any correction and it's a pro bono job. Is there a way to do it all at once, a tool giving the order: “impaint all highlights in that area”?

TIA

Regards

Nick

Please post one of the images that best represents the problem.

I am afraid the photos are not mine and represent people I don't know. I hardly ever use a flash and when I do I bounce.

Yet I found a picture on Wikipedia that can give you a clue: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Nasolabial_fold.jpg?uselang=fr (1)

On her lips and around her right eye there are a number of tiny reflections. On her hair it's very mild. Even her cheeks and nose tip have highlights. Not this one but some women use very glossy lipstick, make-up and/or hair lacquer.

On this picture highlights are rather soft but on the pics I was given in some cases there are many more and they are much more glossy.

The correction I need could be done with the Impaint tool but it would be an extremely long process (there are tens of pictures with tens of highlights)and it's not part of my assignment.

I would like a tool with which I could select an area and tell it to kill all highlights.

Nic

1) Don't care about the oval, it's not mine.

post-23039-0-66801500-1484210632_thumb.jpg

I would like a tool with which I could select an area and tell it to kill all highlights.

The only way I know to "kill all the highlights!"

at once is to work with the highlights recovery

on the RAW file and in a good RAW converter.

In the case of this picture, the frequency sep-

ration approach would prove more appropriate.

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

The only way I know to "kill all the highlights!"

at once is to work with the highlights recovery

on the RAW file and in a good RAW converter.

In the case of this picture, the frequency sep-

ration approach would prove more appropriate.

1. On the first point

• As I said they were shot in JPG format and I was asked to create a presentation with them.
  • I use DxO OpticsPro as a RAW converter but even with it I doubt I could get a satisfying result because those highlights are totally clipped and there is little if any to recover in these areas. Anyway on the lips for example I don't want it to become clearer, I want it to become the same color as the rest of the lipstick . Under the eye I want it to become skin color, probably a little clearer.

I did the job manually with APh's Impainting tool on the lips, the eyes, the right eye caruncula lacrimalis that looked very bad, the nose and her left cheek. It was very easy but it's time consuming and it's perfectible. I'm not going to do that a zillion times on each pic.

Isn't it an issue for studio photographers using artificial lights and for wedding photographers who have to use a flash? Or do they have the time to correct it manually in post? Or do their staff have the time?

Wouldn't it be a handy tool to get rid automatically and smartly of those highlights? Flash and lights reflections on the cornea are very distracting.

2. What's the “frequency separation approach”?

Nick

post-23039-0-20937100-1484234619_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick method that seems to work on the attached picture, you may need to modify the values to work on your actual pictures

1. Duplicate Layer (just as a reference for later, if needed)

2. On the duplicate layer Select> Select Sample Colour
click on white dot on her left eye, until is it selected
Set tolerance to 60%, click Apply button

Most highlight pixels should now be selected

Note: The inpaint tool will not work well enough on these pixels as it has no pixels next to them to sample so we need to increase the selection size

3. Select > Grow/Shrink
Enter 3px and hit apply

4. Then Edit > Inpaint ( to do all the work in one go)

or if you want to be more selective use a very large inpaint brush and brush over the selected areas.  There is no need to do individual areas just brush over them all at once 

post-17958-0-75614000-1484236840_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2. What's the “frequency separation approach”?

See this…

https://vimeo.com/130965888

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Here's a quick method that seems to work on the attached picture, you may need to modify the values to work on your actual pictures

1. Duplicate Layer (just as a reference for later, if needed)

2. On the duplicate layer Select> Select Sample Colour

click on white dot on her left eye, until is it selected

Set tolerance to 60%, click Apply button

Most highlight pixels should now be selected

Note: The inpaint tool will not work well enough on these pixels as it has no pixels next to them to sample so we need to increase the selection size

3. Select > Grow/Shrink

Enter 3px and hit apply

4. Then Edit > Inpaint ( to do all the work in one go)

or if you want to be more selective use a very large inpaint brush and brush over the selected areas.  There is no need to do individual areas just brush over them all at once 

The result is pretty good :) (considering the original pic ;) ). I am still a dummy about layers so I'll have to work on them. As a starter I did a test directly without a layer. It worked quite well too, then I exported so the original is still intact.

This seems to be the exact tool I was looking for and obviously it's quite simple to use.

The next step will be to select the areas to treat. For example jewels need to remain shiny, don't they? I suppose layers allow that.

Thanks for the excellent tip. :)

Nick

---

The next step will be to select the areas to treat. For example jewels need to remain shiny, don't they? I suppose layers allow that.

Thanks for the excellent tip. :)

Nick

No need for more layers, if you want jewellery etc not to be affected just avoid those selections when using the inpaint brush

Or you can use the Selection Brush set to subtract to deselect all the jewellery before using Edit> Inpaint

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks. :)

I had a look at the video but that's a manual, time consuming type of job. It's the kind of correction I hardly ever need to do. I usually don't correct reality.

Shiny reflections from flashes and lights are artifacts and, unlike wrinkles and blemishes, are pretty standard in colors, well… they are practically white, and therefore can or should be treated automatically and replaced by the adjacent tone. car123's tip does the job well.

Nick

No need for more layers, if you want jewellery etc not to be affected just avoid those selections when using the inpaint brush

Or you can use the Selection Brush set to subtract to deselect all the jewellery before using Edit> Inpaint

OK. I'll give it a try. :)

Nick