You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been trying to find the way to invert a vector in Affinity Designer and have had no luck. From what I understand you can do this in Adobe Illustrator. This is a tutorial that I found for illustrator that does this but I can find no way to apply it to Designer: 

If anyone knows how to do this or if it is even possible in Designer I would really appreciate your help :)

I'm not able to see the tutorial you provided for some reason

YouTube videos don't seem to embed correctly here, but if you quote a post containing a failed YT embed you can see the URL. In this case, the URL you want is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAdfUsMK8Y. As you will see, it's about inverting colours, not selections.

@lorenzo_lewis: If you put a black rectangle on top of a group of black shapes and set the blend mode of the rectangle layer to 'Contrast Negate' you should get the effect that you want, but this will only work for complementary colours (e.g. a black rectangle to give white shapes, or a red rectangle to give cyan shapes).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As far as I can tell from the vid, the B&W starting image is a mix of pure vector work, and AI's implementation of placing a brush texture along a vector. AD uses different methods at present for vectors and textures following a vector path, so that complicates matters,

The black and nearly black shapes in the vid appear to be sitting on a white square.

In AD, the effect can be replicated using an invert adjustment layer,

Create some thing similar in AD. For practice, maybe just a white filled rounded rectangle, with a black cog above it. Then maybe a circle larger than the cog, with fill set to none, but having a broad stroke using a brush texture.

Then, at the bottom of the layer panel, select the layer adjustment button, and select invert option. You will then see another layer over the previous three, and the previous ones will all be color flipped.

A quick illustration:

post-34886-0-04349000-1484136103_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet