You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 10/01/2017 at 8:16 PM, rafi266 said:

what is the logical way to start using Affinity? I realize that everyone has their own method, but surely there are things to do at the start rather than at the end of editing, e.g white balance, etc.

Well that has actually not much to do with Affinity but with photography in general

You can only truly whitebalance a raw file during raw developement, previous to demosaicing

(You can see the difference if you try to get the same result afterwards)

Then you want to set levels to set luminosity end points and add curves for Color and luminosity graduation and sharpen for output

Somwhere between raw developement and output you can retouch, remove blemishes and compose if you want to

To give exact steps would require a book to be written which is actually in the making at affinity headquarters

In the meantime you can watch these great official online tutorials

https://vimeo.com/Affinitybyserif

or read some of the things I linked to at the end of this PDF (LAB, Blend If, Curves, RAW...)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15749-life-after-14/?p=71641

Cheers

Look at the Affinity in house video tutorials - that's the fastest way to get on track.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

You can only truly whitebalance a raw file during raw development…

+1 zillion!

Whichever application is used, I teach to develop RAW files

this following way:

First, get the recorded data right:

1. DRL (Dynamic Range Levels = black and white points setting).
  2. WB.

Second, tweak some more organic look to the picture as it was recorded

by a mineral sensor and

Third, only then should be introduced the artistic intent, if it was planned

so. Some artistic intent may be introduced in the converter but most on a

published file of your chosen format (depending on the type and extent of

the artistic intent) through a pixel editor like Affinity Photo.

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

This is my very first attempt at making a tutorial video.

I have to admit that Aeros4 motivated me in this. 

Don't laugh at my accent, my English pronunciation and

the many mistakes as French is my language.

I hope that this will help you more than just typed words!

RawWorkflow.jpg

www.kodiakmedia.at

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Gongrats Kodiak, this is stellar work and I learned much, particularly from our Skype conversation and exploring how to link from the forum to your own server. I'm still not sure if I can link an image to YouTube, but the URL will suffice.  I can see a huge quality gain by streaming from your own server, not an option me though. I will continue with my QC and try and mach your excellence. :rolleyes:

…this is stellar work …

You're just too kind… too many things went wrong in there.

1. I was fighting so much not to cough or sneeze given my cold

2. my famous FM voice was showing signs of throat irritation

3. at 10.4 min, Marie's son (using his mother's Skype connection) was

telling me that he's out of the shower and ready for his session

4. I was very aware (too aware) of the recording and, being the first time, 

that drove me crazy… I could hear all the English mistakes, I was thinking

in French as I was talking…

5. etc.

It was a first and I leaned quite a bit!

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

wow!

That was an encyclopedia of good information packed into a 12 minute video. Thanks for sharing it.

I have yet to send any photos out to a lab for printing but your video makes me think it would be best to give the lab files with the same intent that you use for magazine/book publishers. In other words, does it make sense to send files to a printing company with a little room left for them to adjust? Or, do I need to get it correct the first time? I'm talking about photos that I would hang in my own house, not professional for sale photos.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Alas, my internet connection is unstable and slow. D-load failed yesterday, and cut out today after only a few minutes of the tutorial was saved. But what I saw was very good. I'm not a photographer, and what I was able to see framed the development issues very well. I'll try again some other day. It is fine educational entertainment.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

wow! That was an encyclopedia of good information packed into a 12 minute video. Thanks for sharing it.

Cool, glad the effort was good to someone :)

I have yet to send any photos out to a lab for printing but your video makes me think it would be best to give the lab files with the same intent that you use for magazine/book publishers. In other words, does it make sense to send files to a printing company with a little room left for them to adjust? Or, do I need to get it correct the first time? I'm talking about photos that I would hang in my own house, not professional for sale photos.

In no way! For photo printing, one has to test the lab. Publish

a jpg file the way you would like to see it and have it printed.

If all goes well, then fine. If not, tweak in your converter, republish

and retest until satisfied. DON'T GIVE THE LAB ANY FREEDOM!

Unless they are knowledgeable AND friends.

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

Alas, my internet connection is unstable and slow. D-load failed yesterday, and cut out today after only a few minutes of the tutorial was saved. But what I saw was very good. I'm not a photographer, and what I was able to see framed the development issues very well. I'll try again some other day. It is fine educational entertainment.

Now, that's quite receivable and with great pleasure!

I hope your connection will work better! :)

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

Thanks for the printing advice. I was not sure about that.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD