drippy cat

Possible problem with Histogram with RAW files on Mac/PC

Hi,

I've just had a student contact me with a problem with one of my tutorial videos about developing RAW files. I recorded the video using 1.4 and histogram1p0original.jpg shows the histograms curve. But with the 1.5 update the same file shows the histogram with a marked bias towards the left, as per histogram1.5.jpg.

I'm conjecturing that the histogram is showing the tones from the original RAW file before a tone curve is applied with a RAW file's natural bias towards darker tones, but this is not what I'm seeing with the on screen image of the fluffy critters - you can see from the small preview that there is a spread of tones that I would expect to see reflected in the histogram from 1.4.

I've tried enabling/disabling the curve in the develop assistant to see if that made a difference, which it didn't. I'd be happy to supply the original RAW file. I've noticed the same thing happening with one of the other images from the course. It does mean that I can't really use the histogram effectively.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong here, in which case what can I do to get the histogram to look more like what I would expect it to look like?

Regards,

Simon Foster

post-19928-0-75187900-1484068715_thumb.jpg

post-19928-0-10426700-1484068716_thumb.jpg

I just made a test that seems to confirm this on W10.

When I open a raw file in Develop Persona, the histogram seems too much to the left (left image), looking at the image itself.

When I develop it and go into Photo Persona, histogram is different but seems "OK" (right image), looking at the image itself (and compared to Lightroom).

post-46079-0-72866800-1484173762_thumb.jpg

post-46079-0-09162300-1484173772_thumb.jpg

As you have noticed the histogram on the initial develop from a raw file is different. This is due to a recent change in which a 32bit HDR workspace is used by the develop module this gives the best possible editing space but does render the histogram very differently to what you would expect. I've added your thread to the issue regarding the histogram. In your case you may need to make a note in your tutorials about this.

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

As you have noticed the histogram on the initial develop from a raw file is different. This is due to a recent change in which a 32bit HDR workspace is used by the develop module this gives the best possible editing space but does render the histogram very differently to what you would expect. I've added your thread to the issue regarding the histogram. In your case you may need to make a note in your tutorials about this.

Thanks for explanation but for me it's quite disappointing....

Thank you for getting back to me pauls.

I'm interested as well.

As posted here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/34444-histogram-inconsistency-bug/

Is there going to be a change in how the histogram works in Develop Persona?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Update: 

In my case I found that setting the Development Assistant tone curve setting to "apply tone curve" was the remedy. Watching the AP Vimeo tutorial on Maximizing Raw Latitude provided the clue. Jump on the Affinity web page and look under the AP Tutorials.  

On 7.7.2017 at 11:10 PM, EVM80D said:

Update: 

In my case I found that setting the Development Assistant tone curve setting to "apply tone curve" was the remedy. Watching the AP Vimeo tutorial on Maximizing Raw Latitude provided the clue. Jump on the Affinity web page and look under the AP Tutorials.  

Although nice to watch and good to know, to me that tutorial didn't explain the strange histogram behavior in the develop persona. :-(

I still don't get it and I still can't find the histogram in the development persona helpful.

I too find the histogram unusable in develop persona on PC version 1.5.2.69.

The work around noted above is not too palatable. Here's hoping for a fix to this bug soon.

Panasonic camera.

For me also the sluggish response of all the waveform/histogram panel is a real problem.
Not to mention the pathetic two sliders control for white balance!
I haven't found anything in the forum, but a more detailed color correction system, like the three wheels used on most of the grading software in video would be a great improvement.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:37 PM, pauls said:

So, does this mean this is not considered to be a bug?  It makes using the histogram impossible when you are doing a raw conversion, and this cannot be considered acceptable.

Other applications such as Capture One and PS do not have the same issue.

On 29/11/2017 at 2:09 AM, digger1914 said:

So, does this mean this is not considered to be a bug?  It makes using the histogram impossible when you are doing a raw conversion, and this cannot be considered acceptable.

Other applications such as Capture One and PS do not have the same issue.

Yes, I think it's a bug. Anyway, I solve it by  clicking in "Develop" and reentering in Develop persona

Wrong 32HDR.jpg

OK 16.jpg

Ok Develop.jpg