Sign in to follow this  
ve2cjw

A tool for easily selecting the sky when there are trees in it.

In ON1 Perfect Photos, there is way to select the sky which works by color range so the sky pieces that are in between the tree branches can be selected without touching them. When the whole sky is in a mask, you can then modify it or simply replace it with another image. I would like to see a similar option in Affinity Photo and I think a lot of people woud love it. Maybe there ia a similar option in Photo but I haven't seen it. Another item in ON1 is called the Perfect Brush. It permits selecting near an edge without getting close to it. If the center of the brush doesn't touch the edge, everything near will be selected. That would be nice also.

APhoto can do exactly that.

Have a look at their help videos.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

I had seen these 2 videos and found them interesting. But, in ON1, it is much simpler to do what I want and it can be done in a single operation, not by using channels. As to the refining, it doesn't come even close to the perfect brush for doing the job in ON1. You simply hover near the edge and everything gets selected. Well, we can always hope.

In ON1 Perfect Photos, there is way to select the sky which works by color range so the sky pieces that are in between the tree branches can be selected without touching them. When the whole sky is in a mask, you can then modify it or simply replace it with another image. I would like to see a similar option in Affinity Photo and I think a lot of people woud love it. 

This option is actually available in AP.

Just select the color range and your done.

Thats similar to ON1 pretty sufficient for amateur use or when the color differences between to select and selected areas are strong enough to easily be determined .

Anyhow - if thats not the case the mentioned alternatives are aimed at professional purposes as no program in this very milky way is able to determine very subtle color differences in a picture so manual work is essential for professional output.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications