You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't have a tutorial, but try this.

Make a triangle with the triangle tool and place it in the corner where you want the curl.

then play with the mesh warp tool and I'm sure you will come up with something.

The tool is the distorted mesh next to the text tool.  It's nested together with the perspective tool, so you have to click and hold until the flyout lets you pick the mesh warp tool. 

You can use a gradient on the triangle, or maybe part of a different picture. 

Hope this is helpful.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

This is one of those things that I find much easier to do than to describe, but here goes! To create the result shown in the main screenshot, I made a triangle as Madame has described (except that instead of using the Triangle Tool I used the Pen Tool in Polygon Mode). I gave the triangle a fill but no stroke, and then I chose the 'Selection From Layer' option on the Select menu to create a selection around the triangle. After hiding the triangle (not strictly necessary, but it helps you to see what you're doing!) I rasterized the image layer and cut away the selected corner of the image. I switched to the Node Tool, grabbed the bottom right-hand corner of the triangle, dragged it upwards and slightly to the left, and then curved the upper two edges (mainly the one on the right). Finally, I applied an elliptical gradient fill (shown in the secondary screenshot) to give the page curl a little depth.

post-8358-0-98684900-1484071976_thumb.jpg

post-8358-0-53199800-1484072101_thumb.jpg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi and thank you very much for your prompt replies.

However, as I'm absolutely no Photoshop or Affinity Pro, I'm not able to create that page curl though.

@Madame: If I use the mesh warp tool, I'm not able to "fold down" the corner. I can distort the image but somehow it doesn't work as expected.

@Alfred: I created a Triangle using the Pen tool in Polygon mode and chose the 'selection from layer' option. But somehow no selection around the triangle was created?

Thank you so much.

@Alfred: I created a Triangle using the Pen tool in Polygon mode and chose the 'selection from layer' option. But somehow no selection around the triangle was created?

Did you give the triangle a fill, Isabelle? I don't have Affinity Photo running at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I found that the 'Selection From Layer' option either gave me a selection around the stroke or (if the stroke weight was too small) no selection at all unless the shape had a fill.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...
On 1/10/2017 at 12:15 PM, Alfred said:

This is one of those things that I find much easier to do than to describe, but here goes! To create the result shown in the main screenshot, I made a triangle as Madame has described (except that instead of using the Triangle Tool I used the Pen Tool in Polygon Mode). I gave the triangle a fill but no stroke, and then I chose the 'Selection From Layer' option on the Select menu to create a selection around the triangle. After hiding the triangle (not strictly necessary, but it helps you to see what you're doing!) I rasterized the image layer and cut away the selected corner of the image. I switched to the Node Tool, grabbed the bottom right-hand corner of the triangle, dragged it upwards and slightly to the left, and then curved the upper two edges (mainly the one on the right). Finally, I applied an elliptical gradient fill (shown in the secondary screenshot) to give the page curl a little depth.

post-8358-0-98684900-1484071976_thumb.jpg

post-8358-0-53199800-1484072101_thumb.jpg

@Alfred, thanks for the directives! It worked perfectly for me & was just what I needed. :)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, FFrancois said:

Hello everybody,

Since a very very long time, I’m looking for a method to realize the page curl. Unfortunately, I did’nt find a solution ... especially for beginners. Strange that with photoshop, Gimp, Coreldraw, etc ... nobody seems to have problems with it ... - To-day, on Youtube, I discovered a video treating the « problem ». Studying that video several times, I’ve been that disappointed, because there’s no vocal explanations, and only, - let’s say-, music ...

If interested : (title:) Page Turn Curl Effect in Affinity Photo .
The video lasts approx 3 minutes, so not enough to follow the rather quick steps. It’s a pity that Affinity doesn’t make easy what others do.

Maybe someone will be able to come to a result !?

Best greetings.

Why don't you just follow along any random tutorial for all the other apps, which you mentioned? As the steps are the same in Affinity.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

See for example ...

... which (the first vector way) should also be reusable for Affinity Photo.

Further do a forum search after that topic/theme, it's likely that it has been already demonstrated how to do that in APhoto too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

So you did already know those and it does mean, that it's of no help for you, in order to apply some page curls in APhoto to some of your images?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just asked JixiPix if they'll add page curls to the photo formation filter.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions