You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have Shadows and highlight in Develop affect exposure

I am jumping on this thread with a request as well if I may.

Could the Highlights & Shadows sliders in the develop persona affect their respective exposure instead of their levels?

It's currently unusable for me if I try to recover the shadows detail and raising it just turns them all into a washed out grey.

• Staff

I am jumping on this thread with a request as well if I may.

Could the Highlights & Shadows sliders in the develop persona affect their respective exposure instead of their levels?

It's currently unusable for me if I try to recover the shadows detail and raising it just turns them all into a washed out grey.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion - you are correct, the shadows and highlights adjustments tend to compress tones rather than boost/recover them.

In the meantime, if you're interested I can suggest a couple of alternative approaches:

1) Use the Shadows / Highlights filter rather than the adjustment (in the Photo persona). See the Shadows/Highlights video for more info:

2) Remove the default tone curve and bring the highlights slider all the way to the left - this will recover a huge amount of highlight detail and allow you to craft your own tone curve. There's a video called Custom Tone Curve that covers this:

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks James,

I am still used to my Photoshop workflow where all detail recovery needs to be done in ACR before tweaking in photoshop, I am not sure how AP handles the raw file after develop so I treat swapping back into the develop persona the same as with Photoshop, where the file is no longer a raw and detail recovery is not as good. For that reason I assumed using the shadows and highlights filter would not yield as good a result as the one in develop.

I am glad my finding has been noted though, looking forward to the new beta :)

• 8 months later...

I have the same request. Please make the shadows/highlight adjustment in develop recover detail like in many raw processors instead of producing a washed out gray which is unusable. The filter in photo persona can no longer work with the raw data, so it is inferior in any case. I am forced to continue using LR on raw files to have proper shadow/highlight recovery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for a change. As of now, I need to use another program just for developing raw-files. 

On 10.1.2017 at 0:11 PM, ReVerthex said:

Thanks for your input. I've been asking myself what's "wrong" there. Now I finally know what's going on.

And thanks @James Ritson for your workaround. I'm hoping to see some progress here soon (9 months passed by now). 

• 1 month later...

+1 -  I have the same problem and sadly I need to use another program for developing raw-files..

Here you can see a comparison video that makes it clear ... : Problem with Affinity RAW-Converter

Hope you guys from Affinity may treat this issue in a future update!

Also I noticed that dark images tend to look MUCH DARKER in Affinity Develop than in other RAW converters.

TIA

• 1 month later...