You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello & HNY!

I have been experimenting with the HDR merge and Focus merge modules and I'm experiencing a problem that Affinity Photo does not align the pictures correct.

I can't find a way to align the pictures manually. Maybe I've not found the feature or this is currently not possible.

Thanks,

Rolf

• Staff

Hi Swissomat,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Is this happening with a specific set of pictures or in general with different bracketed sets? I assume you have Automatically align images ticked. Can you provide us with the images that are failing to you so we can check this here? Maybe providing a link to a shared folder in a cloud service if possible.

Hi

I've created a HDR Merge project with 2 pictures and I've used the Automaticalls align images using the perspective setting.

The pictures were shot on a tripod.

Please find the full project with the 2 RAW files and a JPD screen shot of the misaligned detail under the following dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o5rzvugmydvkld9/AACgBDkuvMd6yzK9l8W_P2Bya?dl=0

Best

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Swissomat, I've tried the files out with an HDR merge. The issue is an interesting one - note how in the overexposed image there are no hard edges around the tops of the buildings, which is where the alignment seems to be failing. However, if you check Automatically remove ghosts when doing the initial merge, Photo will correct this. I've attached a screen grab of the area to show the result with deghosting enabled.

I'd recommend trying to shoot more exposures using exposure bracketing for a wider merge precision and better alignment accuracy. More images, especially underexposed ones that reveal the hard edges, will be helpful for this type of composition. Does your camera have a bracketing mode? You could shoot 5 frames at +3/-3EV or 7 frames at +2/-2EV for example.

Hope that helps!

post-8578-0-91255600-1486112542_thumb.jpg

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks James

I'll try the Automatically remove ghosts feature.

(Within this project I used bracketing with a Nikon D7000 DSLR.)

To show the developers what Photo produced, I added only 2 RAW images from the bracketing session to show the situation I've found.

Best

• 1 year later...

Have your images got the necessary hard edges as @James Ritson suggested above? Unfortunately Focus Merging does not involve de-ghosting! Could you post your images here for us to see, at least some of them where you have alignment problems.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 hours ago, Andrew G. said:

Hi gentlemen. Here is an example of two images that focus stack will not align.

Did you use a tripod for these shots? It looks like the camera position shifted between the two shots enough that not even the top & bottom of the dead tree in the foreground are in the same relative position in both of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7