You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Variables in the transformation fields not working

I'm having some difficulties with the usage of variables in the transformation fields.
I want to resize an Object in relation to the document size - how do I do that? By the looks of it the transformation fields effectively do not allow any reference to document size but only to the object size. I can't belive this is true considering variables for document size interaction seem to be available. All variables described in "Variable for transformation related to page" (in German "Variablen für Transformationen mit der Seite") in the help file do not work in the transformation fields. The only variable working is "w" for Object width or "h" for Object hight.
What am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I am assuming you mean the variables that in the English language version are called "Transform-Page variables" -- for example "spreadwidth, sprw, sw, pw" for the width of the current spread.

These all seem to be working for me using the Mac versions; however, it is necessary to completely replace everything in the transformation field with the expression, such that there are no unit dimension suffixes like "px" or "mm" or whatever. So for example "pw/2" works fine but "pw/2 px" does not.

If you are sure you have eliminated these suffixes in the expressions, it might help to say what expressions you are using in which transformation field(s) & since the topic has been moved, which app & OS version you are using.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I get the same result as R C-R. The measure unit cannot be present. Likewise, using Mac.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@R-C-R precise! Theses "Transform-Page variables" do not work in the AP windows beta 1.5.1.51 version. (running on Win7 - 64bit system).
Only "w" or "h" works for the object itself. Of course I did not use units as a part of the expression.
So scaling an object to 1/10th of the page width would result in the expression "B: spreadwidth*0.1" (maybe in the english version it's "W: spreadwidth*0.1") in the transform field. Neither of the alternative variables for pagewidth works).

@Pauls: thx
Maybe you should rethink using the "w" for different purposes. It may be used as the width for an object as well as the width for a page - except it is used in the transformation fields - there pagewidth changes to "sw" or "pw" ... this is very inconsistent. It would be far more consequent and logical to use "w" for objects and generally "pw" or "sw" for the document!

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.