Sign in to follow this  
Oswald__

EPS compatibility

Hello I know it's a known issue but I send you a file to test. ^_^ This EPS (made with illustrator) with a gradient is rendered differently in Illustrator than Designer, see pictures and try to open the file please.

The gradient is not correct. :huh: Sometimes also the dashed lines.

If I export from Designer the eps looks incorrect anyway :ph34r:

thank you,

Denis

post-34349-0-38958300-1484041465_thumb.png

post-34349-0-72179700-1484041473_thumb.png

350.eps

yes I'm sure, does designer recognize the dashed line? To me the gradient looks like rastered and the lines just many single lines. Dsigner for  windows 1.51.43

post-34349-0-54366400-1484045388_thumb.png

Hi Denis

Just out of curiosity, in your original post was the Illustrator screenshot taken after you saved the EPS after creating it, rather than re-opening the EPS in Illustrator? I have a feeling what you may have been seeing was the version as you made it in Illustrator rather than the actual EPS it exported

I'm getting the same as MEB, the EPS looks the same in both apps when imported

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hello, no I confirm that my client opens the original 350.eps file and he can see (illuastrator CS6) dashed line (not single segments) and good gradient (with antialias in oblique lines). While I (on Designer) see segments and bad gradient, Attached you can try the original illustrator exporte file. :o

I really don't know...

Hi Denis

The attached eps opens the same in every app I've tried, both our and ones from other companies so I don't think we are doing anything wrong here.

The only exception here is Illustrator which does have a smooth gradient. This is because Illustrator put it's own code in it's EPS exports to be able to reconstruct things like gradients. Rather than using the gradient thats actually in the EPS it takes the code and re-draws it to make it smooth. However only Illustrator can use this embedded code no other app can. The gradient is the only difference though because of what I just described. The dashed lines appear exactly the same in Illustrator CC as the other apps I have tried, being longer and less than the multiple short ones in your original screenshot. The difference we are seeing here may be due to changes made between the versions

If you are not tied to using EPS I would suggest trying SVG or PDF to see if you get better results. PDF should allow for any postscript features you need too

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

ok I understand...the problem is that my client is a quite big company and they use "EPS illustrator made" and I have to adapt my pipeline to them...I'll try to find a compatibility way to achieve the same result, they don't want pdf or svg :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :angry: 

Anyway I prefer affinity so... B) :ph34r:

thank you for explanations

...the problem is that my client is a quite big company and they use "EPS illustrator made"...

I am mostly software agnostic. I do have my preferences for using X software over Y software. Being a software agnostic I could care less what I use for a particular job. Especially if the company is (A) a large company and (B) if I believe I can get future work from them. I'll use whatever software is dictated. Even if that means I rent from Adobe for the duration of the job.

Now, because I do have preferences, I find I can do much if not all the work in my preferred vector drawing application and then port that over to the company's requisite software for final output. How much work I do in my preferred software depends on what the illustration is.

What I don't do is try to beat one software into submission just to use it. That's a time waster and not what I am hired to do.