You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

To put it as simply as I know how, for Serif/Affinity the only "good time" to do this is when they believe there is sufficient continuing market demand for Linux versions to justify diverting any of their limited resources to doing this and it will not compromise the continued development of the existing Affinity apps, which from all indications are doing quite well in the market. They must also consider the additional costs of supporting versions of the apps running on the various Linux versions, & developing effective anti-piracy provisions for all of them.

Yeah, I agree. I am not a developer but can imagine coding a more complex and capable software like graphics app must be very hard. I am glad that Serif even decided to take on this project at all - Linux or no Linux port.
It is just my (perfect-world) wish that they started to develop all their apps as multiplatform from the start. Like Adobe Brackets, Atom, Sublime Text, Blackmagic Fusion, Davinci Resolve, Gravit Designer, Maya, Modo etc. - all very likeable apps because they are made for all the three main platforms (some of them from the very beginning). (Maya being rental-only now became less likeable for me but that is for another discussion.) Anyway it looks like there might be some trend going on with multiplatform development from the beginning. So there is at least some slight chance that in the future we will choose operating system based on its quality and features and not based on which applications run on it. One can dream, right?

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

As for users flocking to Linux because of privacy concerns, there is no evidence this is happening in sufficient numbers to make any difference, at least for now. If anything, Windows users worried about Microsoft's telemetry are more likely to switch to Macs because of Tim Cook's well publicized stance on user privacy, Apple's resistance to government mandated "back doors" in its products, & so on.

That is true. I also don't rule out Apple platform completely as my next choice. There are some disadvantages though (at least for me). Virtually no option to customize the OS or hardware. No option to build your own computer. Apple dictating too much what is good for its users and not listening to feedback - be it hardware or software. Vendor lock in. Higher prices with no inexpensive alternatives that you can upgrade as you go. Etc etc.
Well, we will see.

1 hour ago, raptor said:

I am glad that Serif even decided to take on this project at all - Linux or no Linux port.
It is just my (perfect-world) wish that they started to develop all their apps as multiplatform from the start.

The core functionality of the Affinity apps is provided by "platform-agnostic" code. The addition of support for Windows PCs and iPads simply required the writing of native front-ends, so in theory they could add support for any OS that you care to name, but in practice they just don't have the necessary resources.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I need to rush now, so , will read the full post reply later. But have had time to read several of those links you just posted. The second one requires me to register to their publication (lol, talking about privacy... ;) )  , which I am not very in favor of making right now, so that one I couldn't dig. But the first one, I went to which seems to be one of the most key articles, which he linked from that group, the EFF, and well, you said the article I posted was from a Windows tip site webmaster, so, biased, but IMO, this people indeed base their activity having a large portion of the articles attacking Windows, so, not sure of who is more biased. I read that important article, and is all the time trying to see how bad the thing is, even a little "too much" (scaremongering is a business and a fabulous way to bring traffic, too (works great in health matter, tech security, end of the world, etc)). Sorry, personal impression after reading it, that's all. Main reason for this is that most of what it says is well known stuff, with this constant effort of "enhancing " it, and speaks about Cortana as if it were something that cannot be deactivated, or that is an actual issue, being so easy remove it. 

Even more, most of what it says about telemetry is not proven. It merely is saying "i don't know for certain what is being sent". Which is sth happening with MS System for a lot of years, now.

About data travelling encrypted,  I don't know if I explained it badly. Yes, the telemetry data might travel encrypted (not sure about that point, if all does it, etc) but what about encrypting with your own encryption your data, your entire hard drive ?. Some close friends do this, and definitely not for a particular reason like the OS, just because they know quite a deal of security matters, and prefer to go that route. One that comes to mind is Linux bsed since always, so, yeah, even being in Linux! . The other one uses Windows since several years despite having been an expert in Linux for a very long time. Scientist, researchers, etc, do this in many cases by default, as no Linux, Unix Mac, or whatever system is free from having an attack and being vulnerable to it, and that is a basic measure when you have such critical data (or you give it that importance) in your power, besides have it in back up in several buildings even in different cities. Doing things in certain way, the OS does NOT matter that much, I can tell you this. It can be sending whatever, but you can definitely ensure the data by using the OS in clever ways, and be careful to what you use to send and transmit, use only encrypted based communication software, there the "Evil OS" can't do a single thing (surely you don't do this, you are posting in a public forum (and have not checked, but many of these forum or other site apps wouldn't work well behind a VPN), now MS and its Nazgûls could go after you...j/k ;)  ). And...if are in this wave of thinking, just don't use MS included apps, (not speaking just about cortana) , like IE (haven't used since eons other than to check sites I design) , neither Outlook, their shop, Messenger or any of its embedded applications. There's wonderful and very secure third party applications for literally anything. You will tell me this is basic as a recommendation, but you would be surprised the number of people so vocal about the telemetry that I know which they confessed me they were using Cortana, IE, Outloook, the Windows Shop, etc, etc.

The world is not  denying to use Windows 10. Is using it massively. That is the reality. Yes, you can go against that main stream flow, but you'll get a ton of issues, and in most cases, will force you not to be able to work with a lot of clients, enough as to kill a business, if you are freelancer, or anyway will have no choice but to handle it inside a company, if you work at a company. And you end up handling a lot of critical data at a company as well, after all. Not just the company critical data.  I used never to do that, but people does, in large percentage :  In the many companies I worked at, personal data and communications were for me very out of place (and that time was being paid by the company, too), and for my own security, never transmitted that sort of thing (more worried about the local network proxy node caches from the company than a "Fumanchu-like" baddie like MS...The former, at least I had evidence that it occurred !)  but a crazy lot of people reach the company some minutes before, check all their stuff (Messenger, Skype, twitter, Facebook, personal mail, etc), and then start to work. not to mention the ones that does so in work time. A ton of people (and BTW, I don't see most of the millennials having these concerns...). And I can tell you this... they are massively forced to use Windows 10. This is a wave very difficult to stop, is the main flow. yes you can play the rebel and say 'I wont use it', but to me, what I loose if I don't do it (basic income) is way  bigger of an issue. Besides there are ways of ruling out totally those concerns (encrypting yourself all your data (encrypting the hard drive(/s))(did that for a while when worked as remote, by company rules...also using a third party VPN, etc), for example, using PGP (been there, done that) based communication tools, etc).  if you REALLY think it's worth it...

Oki, I will read the rest of your post later and reply to that, I have used now more time than I had... :S 

Please, don't apologize for your English; mine is worse, makes me look terrible.  ;D 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

3 hours ago, raptor said:

I am not a developer but can imagine coding a more complex and capable software like graphics app must be very hard. I am glad that Serif even decided to take on this project at all - Linux or no Linux port.
It is just my (perfect-world) wish that they started to develop all their apps as multiplatform from the start.

As Alfred mentioned, the core code was designed from the beginning to be platform agnostic. But support for OS level API's used in the UI front end, hardware specific features like GPU acceleration, memory management, sandboxing & other security features, file system access, & anything else that differs in one OS (or OS version) from the others can't be made platform agnostic, at least if comparable performance & feature parity across all platforms is to be maintained.

Developing, optimizing, debugging, & providing customer support for all this OS & hardware specific stuff takes huge amounts of time & effort. Four things made developing for Mac first the obvious choice:

1. Affinity began as a research project at Serif to see what a graphics app that was constrained to a small memory footprint was capable of doing. They ran the project on iPads because they don't have much memory to begin with & the OS limits how much of it is available to apps. Because iOS & the Mac OS have many things in common, this simplified development of a full featured Mac desktop app.

2. The market for Mac desktop graphics apps was much larger than for iPad ones. There were no iPad Pro models at the time & the non-pro ones were not generally considered as a suitable platform for anything other than data consumption.

3. Compared to Windows (or Linux) there are far fewer hardware configurations to support. Because (until recently) Apple was the only mainstream maker of both OS's & the prepackaged computers they run on, there was no need to worry (much) about hardware compatibility issues -- ironically perhaps a benefit made possible by Apple's policy of severely limiting the possibilities for running their OS's on customized hardware.

4. Apple already had in place a nearly frictionless method of marketing apps to Mac users with a global reach & builtin anti-piracy & security features, that being the Mac App Store ("MAS"). By selling through the MAS, Serif gained marketing access to essentially the entire Mac user base from day one of the retail products' release.

From a business perspective, these were pretty compelling reasons to go with Mac versions first instead of trying to develop for multiple platforms, all at the same time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

The second one requires me to register to their publication (lol, talking about privacy... ;) )  , which I am not very in favor of making right now, so that one I couldn't dig.

Indeed. That is strange because the first time I was able to read the whole article. Try this info directly from the researcher instead: https://twitter.com/m8urnett/status/866353982217699328

or alternatively these key words in Google:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=Mark+Burnett+windows+10+enterprise&oq=Mark+Burnett+windows+10+enterprise&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1.7163.13926.0.14376.22.22.0.0.0.0.148.2438.6j16.22.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.22.2428...0j0i19k1j0i22i30i19k1j33i21k1.rLRL8OU-aic&gfe_rd=cr&ei=XTikWeSYFsHR8gfmzr-IDA

As far as the first link I was talking more about Bruce Shneier himself as being much better and unbiased source. I am not sure right now and I will have to check but I think he even uses Windows but he still criticises it. The EFF might be biased but it is always better to be cautious when in comes to Microsoft (and other big companies) with its history of shady tactics (one of them happened recently here in my country when MS payed some bigger media not to write about how it once unlawfully nearly destroyed a hardware shop because it was selling PCs with Linux).

As far as data or whole disk encryption - that is entirely another topic and another layer of security. I wasn't talking about it. I was talking about the issue of the OS seeing user's important data and being able to suck them out whenever Microsoft pleases. Encryption doesn't help here. When you are working with the data it must be decrypted and MS can see and get the decrypted data since MS fully controls your OS, not you anymore. This is why people working with valuable data can (and should) have an issue with this. They probably use some kind of encryption already and employ some anti-malware strategies - but all this is toothless if MS were to decide to suck some of their data through the telemetry service.

Yes, if you use Linux or OS X or whatever you are still more or less vulnerable and have to employ some countermeasures but it is still better than OS from the company that openly says (in its EULA) that they can go through any of your data and send anything out. This is just too much even for people without very sensitive data. MS has no business to constantly sniff around if user says no. If they want the data for crash reports there are much better ways how to do it without spying. The only way I would use Windows 10 (if I had to) is inside some container isolated from the Internet. And using Win10 inside a company - I would be OK with it. It is up to the company what it uses. I wouldn't work with my personal data there anyway. I was rather talking about freelancers, home personal computers, business/company owners etc. Those who can decide what equipment to use.

Also apart from the telemetry there is the second issue I have already talked about - MS can (and likes to) actively and constantly control and rearrange your system. When you set something up you can never be sure it will stay this way. MS can revert it back any time. Some settings or features can disappear etc. You cannot stop update installation and focus on your work. Ads can appear inside OS and take up valuable space. You are no longer in control. This is a nightmare especially for people doing some serious work and people that like to customise their tools and workflows. This is where Linux shines. Of course it comes with the price (not user friendly, certain issues) but if you really want you can set your workstation up according to you and make changes how YOU want. Win XP, Vista and 7 were not infinitely configurable but they were/are still far cry from Win 10 when it comes to user control. I don't know about you but I like to customize my working environment according to my needs and I like to remain in control of it.

I am not planning to completely ditch Windows (at least yet). I have some plans (virtualisation/emulation/remote desktop/specialized computer/...) how to use it alongside my main system if Microsoft doesn't come to its senses or if there is not some game-changing event (an influx of awesome apps) concerning Linux or OSX. But I will always want some reliable and customisable non-intrusive (and good looking) core main system. A workhorse. It might be Linux, it might be something else but it won't be Win 10 in its current form.

I kind of liked Win XP, Vista and 7. But I have never been a huge fan of Microsoft and never completely trusted it.

Thank you but my English should be much better.

5 hours ago, raptor said:

Yes, if you use Linux or OS X or whatever you are still more or less vulnerable and have to employ some countermeasures but it is still better than OS from the company that openly says (in its EULA) that they can go through any of your data and send anything out.

Where specifically in the Windows 10 EULA does it say that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I definitely do not have such concerns, or I have them, since day one, but maybe at a toned down level, I consider that at practical/work level I'd loose *a lot* more going towards an OS that is not having the mass of the software that I need (being a 2D/3D graphic game artist, designer for print, illustrator, etc, I work in very varied stuff, image related) and being compatibility with clients files/software/workflows or when working at companies, this compatibility with the machines at work, in many small or big aspects(many small issues in a day destroys any  good work pace), this is given to me mostly by Windows, and a second chance, it'd be Mac (you mention Maya in Linux, there's Houdini, etc, etc, but there is a ton more graphic software at pro level (2D/3D, print stuff at high levels(it's a royal handicap, that one), game engines, etc which are Windows based in a large number)). If anything, I could consider having a mac instead, as it counts on a good collection of graphic applications, native or ports. But like happens to others, certain software (in much smaller proportion than with Linux), price/flexibility in mounting/building my own machines is lower from my POV. I'd definitely could consider Linux if this all were just a hobby. My feelings go more with that philosophy, but in other considerations, I love that Windows is very practical as a system (or might be that I know it quite deeply), it never changes in a way which i don't want, I have that stuff quite tied (I recon I am using just Windows 7, but I install, configure and maintain a bunch of Win 10s (friends, family, etc). And so that you don't think I'm pure Evil, have installed Ubuntus, Debians, Red hats(Fedora now, I guess) and Slackwares in the past, even one Mint, and other flavors to neighbors family and friends, when the planned usage recommended it...in exchange of one beer equivalent and a dinner(er... A pizza and some peanuts, usually))

I don't know ho much people is my situation: Not loving the new direction of Windows, but not worrying too much about it, as all what I have as a conclusion after reading diverse sources, since first mentions long time ago, till today, is: there's telemetry, very certainly, you can't really disable it, but no one has solid proof of WHAT data is actually being sent and what MS does with it, or plans to do (my bet is mostly ads , targeted, and mostly in MS specific applications(which I hate btw, for other reasons non privacy related), not in all OS), but to which (us, this group of ppl, I dunno how big we are in numbers) is way more important to keep being able to work and get income than a non measured (not either known for certain if it would really affect us negatively) loss of privacy. I mean, losing some privacy -and as you admit, less in any case than what some people is giving away in certain phones, the internet of things and gadgets-  that surely is never the content of an email, or skype conversation (I have a hard time to believe that) opposed to almost not... eating (not getting the plate fo food), lol.  Because I don't see the issue as solved -in my case at least- by a Linux version of AP and AD. There's a lot more which I don't see happening simultaneously not in my craziest dream... (and I know lots of the alternatives or  alpha projects aspiring to be so, having tried most, at least, DEEPLY, and quite a few, used heavily at work at companies where purchasing software was not an option. ). If Linux were already there -it might reach there at some point, we're far from that, and I don't have a rich uncle to do sth else in the meantime...-  , I'd move just today. Even I could have a certain advantage over those Win users wasted from MS that have not used Linux before, the users to which you refer as the mass of probable real change of the situation....I've used that OS (even more, combining it with Windows, that has some interesting tricks to learn, at certain levels) deeply both at home and years in companies. Maybe the situation is just so nice in 5 years, u'd see me then as a convinced Linux user...

If I were in your situation, determined not to use Windows anymore, just in a VM, I'd consider also -opposed to only use it inside a virtual machine, I've used a lot that at companies, and has issues- just having a Windows machine with the graphic software, and any other software related to my freelancing or very heavy/serious hobby (IMO, a light hobby does not need Windows), not connected to internet in a regular basis, fully isolated (I know a pair of great professionals doing that since win XP, but to avoid issues of any type, not privacy), connect and let it update whenever you'd wish to perform an update, disconnect, and have another machine with permanent connection, having there linux or Mac OS, and with that handle all your personal communication (u could easily mount a samba file server or, if fearing sth, just move stuff with any USB storage device). I have very serious doubts the very diverse and hardware tied graphic software that most of us need would work great under a VM, I've done many tests of that with VM Ware and Virtual Box, trying crazy things. Even if they get to improve sth related to the GPU, am sure the other many issues -performance, etc- will show its uglier face in one or another software that would happen to be essential in more than one project. I don't know you, but I can't allow that, that'd be the end...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Where specifically in the Windows 10 EULA does it say that?

"By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features."

"In order to provide this computing experience, we collect data about you, your device, and the way you use Windows."

It is not exactly how I phrased that but it is still worrying and ambiguous.

2 hours ago, raptor said:

"By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features."

"In order to provide this computing experience, we collect data about you, your device, and the way you use Windows."

The thing is, many of us don't pay attention to all the details in a EULAwhistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, raptor said:

The mentioned Microsoft Privacy Statement is available online (at https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement for the US English version). It includes a fairly extensive section for Windows, including how to opt out of many but not all types of data collection & user tracking. So your "any of your data and send anything out" statement is perhaps a bit over the top....

Affinity Photo 

48 minutes ago, clydo said:

I feel like we've drifted off topic.

The topic, as defined by the subject line "[Multi] Linux Seriously now" was never very clear to begin with. When it was started back in 2014 the first post began with "Guys. Linux is the future. You may not see it at the moment, but you are trusting Apple way too much. What if your golden ecosystem breaks down?"

So if we are to be serious about it, we need to consider the validity of the "Linux is the future" prediction (because that is all it is, a prediction), if some group of (perhaps a bit biased?) users really know more about the marketing forces that would make this come true than Serif, if Serif is trusting the Apple & now also the Windows ecosystems too much (whatever that means in whatever contexts are still relevant in 2017), how much of what has been asserted is factually accurate or provable vs. opinion or wishful thinking or just wild guesses, & so on.

It is a provocative topic, one with so many different aspects to consider that "drifting" from one aspect to another is unavoidable.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

3 hours ago, clydo said:

The topic, as defined by the subject line "[Multi] Linux Seriously now" was never very clear to begin with.

I think the topic is clear enough. The suggestion was that there should be Linux versions of the Affinity apps.

The answer is equally clear: there aren't going to be Linux versions of any of the Affinity apps in the foreseeable future. As with all threads where the main point has been answered, this thread has inevitably wandered down side roads discussing related (or unrelated!) matters such as privacy issues.

Alfred spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think the topic is clear enough. The suggestion was that there should be Linux versions of the Affinity apps.

At least to me, this & several other similar topics were & have always been about why there should be Linux versions, regardless of what the developers have said about why that will not happen in the foreseeable future.

As such, it is much less a suggestion than a variety of justifications.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, clydo said:

i have to disagree, here. IMO, the whole thread is a bit out of place (to say it gently) since this is the company's forum and they have stated which are their plans and their position about the matter. But other than that, attending to what we were speaking about, that new "fork" is 100% on topic and indeed one of the most interesting aspects of it. I cannot provide right now (as is sth I've gone reading/seen mentioned in many articles, of course, only a few of those seems fully reliable, in general) sources/links now, so, don't give any validity to this paragraph if you wish not to, but for several even critical writers, the reaction has not been massive, meaning comparing to the whole portion of people buying and updating Windows 10 (which is enormous) . You of course read a lot of it as are the ones willing to write about it, and they are quite angry (IMO, they have reasons to be), but the comparison with the people that don't mind or don't care enough, seems the other chunk to be an important majority. Yet so, the pressure (so, that's why I mostly don't completely dislike the pressure, ;)  ) is simply quite heard as the people against this is very vocal, active, and many with prestigious blogs and being themselves well know as tech people (btw, a bunch are just pretending to be that, sadly). But this capability of being heard/read/watched has itched enough MS to answer a few times against these concerns (and even to produce certain update), because, well, I have been working as a SEO guy at some companies, and even a single voice shouting sth critical can hurt a company you don't know how much, and is not easy to compete with that (not even easy when the good guys are in the company), not even with SEO techniques, articles, etc.  In some cases it's highly unfair that the company tries to hide its bad actions -seen it, from inside-  and in some other cases, is really unfair for the company when it's innocent, as you can't really fight against that and win completely. You can argue that yes, just posting your internals, but that's not a possibility for many companies due to competition's industrial spying, just showing your cards, etc (is what a competitor might be waiting, and in this world, I am more than sure that other attacks are indeed started secretly by the competitors). Not in a closed source commercial world that is very similar to the jungle.

So, considering the fact that the number one problem (helped by the small staff/resources, hard to find certain profiles issue, doubts on if Linux users would purchase in a majority, technical problems, staff not savvy in that system(probably) yet, etc) is the OS user base size (no matter how many brand new users register here to add a post to this thread, numbers to consider are way big, it's another entire kind of thing, and something not oficial and not tested goes no where, despite all the good intentions, even less for investors and companies)  , which last times I checked, measured GLOBALLY (not, "hey, that web page which talks about security and Linux has a 50% of Linux users....", c'mon)  I've seen percentages like 2,66 %, and in any case not surpassing _globally_ the 3% of global users, then with that you have no where to go to convince to invest their (not the ones of any company, it would depend. IE, Adobe surely could, just they seem not interested, many years as a proof) limited company resources/human power in that user base instead of in one that counts on the dunno what, 60% or 40%. A small company does not have 7 lives like a cat in that saying, has usually only one chance when putting its small resources in one line. Even a difference of 10% means a lot in money terms. Or a 5%, lol. But in these matters stats are very unreliable, so, with a 5% of only difference they might have considered, dunno. So, we're talking here now about sth suggested by a new user : that it could be a larger number: from the actual biggest user base could be flowing a yet to be known quantity of (Windows) users escaping from MS's privacy issues, and towards Linux.  It is an interesting new take, I could never call that off topic, indeed, very on topic...

But I have my serious issues/doubts with that in real numbers. To a lot of people I have spoken to, specially colleagues from art making and graphic edition in general, what they are mostly (majority are concerned by way more mundane stuff) considering (these group am referring are mostly pros) is moving to Apple Mac OS, IF anything (in games making, have seen no case). Not to iOS (some went crazy with iPad Pro (I almost did, TBH), but some are returning from that), neither to Linux. But yes, that's my personal stats, and I read certain number of posts, not just here, of some Win users flowing to Linux. What I have been able to see, very far from massive, though.  But indeed, could be one possibility if, again, serious stats of that happening, in solid numbers, could be shown. I have checked these days stats places (from both "sides") and don't see the Linux user base growing or having grown significantly due to that or any other reason. But you never know the future, time will tell. You can't criticize tho developers for going with the safe bet today, now, instead of ONE of the many possible future things happening. They have a very ugly and non trendy habit, like me : eating every day. I mean, salaries, machines, licences, place rent, etc, wont pay itself. With an open source foundation from start behind (ie, like Blender has), it could be different (still, very hard). But is far from the case.  

...for now, every thing in a browser does not give me the huge performance (many native softwares can't fully reach there, either, so...) I need for several projects (ie, large print files with many layers), or, means a reduction of that in a considerable way, but yep, could happen in a future. Specially if for once, hardware ends up going way further in performance than what apps keep demanding.

lol...watched part of the vid...multi threaded code in javascript ! ouch... as it's using that....there are nice game engines in js, but to compare performance :S ...an old mate - I was a front end designer, he back end (that sounds absolutely terrible, lol) in a company that among other things made web portals...but he was all about Js and combined it with databases stuff, java, rails, etc.. would find this pretty interesting, as I always used jQueries (and b4 just the premade js available) instead of coding js myself, never learnt that (old graphic grunt, mostly) ..... no time now, is an hour vid, but pretty interesting, will end watching later, seems promising. 

5 minutes ago, MBd said:

Adobe has a internal version of loghtroom running in the Webbrowser so someday operating system choice may be obsolete 

Including the choice of what OS or web browser to use?

Every few years the idea of a 'thin client' of one kind or another resurfaces, always touted as the next big thing that will revolutionize computing. But the lack of ubiquitous, highly secure & reliable cheap high speed internet access has prevented it from gaining much traction in the ordinary, everyday real world most of us live in.

Affinity Photo 

the thing might be more about OS independence rather than needing an inet connection...ie, you could ship sth like (similar) to a chrome book but with all that being already local (or download the distro with those apps by default, or downloadable per user choice of apps (like Debian's apt-get or whatever in that flavor), not running from a server all the time, so, connection, i don't see an issue, more than a Linux has today, unless am missing sth). Issue till now for graphic apps running over browsers, for very demanding tasks (not some low res sketching, and LR is supposed to deal with large images and cpu intensive filters) has been performance due to access low level to hardware, and the fact that browsers are very bad optimized in several cases. I guess this could imply a modification or production from scratch of a very low weight browser, acting as a launcher or sth, or find a way to make it of no impact. What i am watching is mostly considering how to optimize the way of coding multi threaded stuff using JS, that can run locally, completely. Game engines work fine so, just very far from C++ native engines' performance, in what i have been able to check. And that gap in performance is a killer for the whole thing, imo. Plus, stability in browser when ram/resources is largely consumed (or just memory usage itself) is very bad, but i guess they are already counting on all that.

Anyway, my final and everlasting view on the matter: We are extremely lucky to have Affinity line as an alternative to the giant. Be it in Mac or Windows. (meaning, if you hate Win, just go for a Mac (they are great), we're already very lucky to at least have the option for making pro work !). You can tell me tons of arguments, but imo this one is rock solid all things considered. And to me, this is the most important conclusion of all these matters...(counting at least on an option, a valid alternative, finally)

2 hours ago, MBd said:

this is not yet about thin clients 

No, not yet, but it is about running a set of tasks concurrently in a web browser running on an OS, which in turn may also be running a bunch of other tasks concurrently. Since running all those other tasks can affect the performance of the 'in browser' tasks, a 'thin' client OS so to speak (one that cannot or does not run a bunch of other tasks) will outperform a 'thicker' one that does.

Affinity Photo 

57 minutes ago, R C-R said:

No, not yet, but it is about running a set of tasks concurrently in a web browser running on an OS, which in turn may also be running a bunch of other tasks concurrently. Since running all those other tasks can affect the performance of the 'in browser' tasks, a 'thin' client OS so to speak (one that cannot or does not run a bunch of other tasks) will outperform a 'thicker' one that does.

At a third read I understood the paragraph :D  (it makes sense, btw). I blame the language barrier....

19 minutes ago, SrPx said:

At a third read I understood the paragraph :D  (it makes sense, btw). I blame the language barrier....

xD I think the real language barrier was my inability to compose that post in clear but not overly technical language (which I do not know as well as I would like) that would still make sense to someone who does know it well. I reedited it several times before giving up & hoping for the best.

Affinity Photo