You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

29 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are not saying never we are saying not now.

So I guess this means in this topic we can look forward to another few years of the equivalent of kids in the car asking, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

54 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

He didn't say we would go bankrupt if we did. He said our resources would be stretched too thin, so the general customer experience (development and support) would be reduced which is not what we want. It's not all about the money. We are not saying never we are saying not now.

Well, I can respect that, thanks. I guess we will have to wait for some time.

Allegorithmic covers a very specific set of tasks, of an specific industry (well, games and film, but the things you do with it are very specific), mostly to cover PBR texturing. A. Photo, just like Photoshop, cover an outstandingly wider area, many profiles and sectors, industries and many different ways of using it, tasks to cover, each group of people with very different requests (Print, web, FX-motion, games, fashion, science, photography, illustration, pixel art...etc, etc. etc. That's (well, an extremely minimal list compared to the real number of fields) what a do-it-all jack of all trades like PS or APhoto have every day for breakfast in terms of complaints and features request !! ). IMO, doing such a Swiss army knife is way more complex. I'd mention, those from Allegorithmic have an OPTIONAL subscription model (even more generous and flexible than today's Corel's) that would be an example for Adobe to have made a user friendly solution. They'll never go that path, only if the competitors (IMO, mostly Affinity) starts to be strong enough. If not, they could even have ended raising the subscription's cost. But even introducing the subscription in a super friendly way, as an optional thing, is a bad sign to me. If I could trust that a company offering that will always keep the permanent purchase (of an specific version in time, of course!) of a license, I'd have not trouble then with that. The prob is that when I see that happening in Substance Painter, etc, is that I wonder if they are not just going towards the goal of progressively eliminating the purchase option for the customers. CSP is doing that with its iPad version. If they force that also in desktop - strongly doubt that being the main purchasers, I think, manga artists, a ton of teen age people- at some point, no trouble, as I love Krita, also because is Open source (and KDE related!) , or, probably, Affinity Photo. For my painting :)  (for general image editing APhoto wins it already in my book)

@bvz I was in a Linux based company for many years, and they treated the matter as the pain that is artists, in general,  (as part of the production staff. For some strange reason, the administrative guy, and the marketing/SEM expert, using Windows, that was no issue for them!. And they would have tolerated my non-linux ugly habit better if I'd have been a Mac user, that's for sure) not liking/using linux for art, as kind of the bad apple (no bad joke intended ;) ) spoiling the bunch. The complaints weren't much in the direction of compatibility, because I know my stuff, and always provided the files without issues for their systems. Just that they felt it like a spot of dirt in their little linux world. Still, there's an obvious sense of "shall we have all machines with Linux" that did hurt them terribly for me having as machine with all, and capable of ALL with a Windows installed, and very rarely would need a reinstall through almost a decade, only one I  can remember for change of OS. And the fact that the hated OS worked rock solid for all, in good hands. Is this thing... I find it everywhere, no matter if is at companies as employee, during years with colleagues, or simply going out as I was many years -non all related with work, most weren't-  on Saturdays with a bunch of linux geeks, they'd all always would try to "convert " me.

Latest incarnation of that, has been extremely funny, the other day. I go to a shop to sell second hand one of my phones (I keep my hardware very well cared, and rarely do this, but what do I want so many old cell phones for), the only one that would have a chance...and during the talks and negotiation, the boss of the place realize I'm a Blender user, and we start to talk about it... The man IMMEDIATELY tries to sell me the "convert to linux"  slogan. As usually, I let him talk, then I admit Linux blender versions do actually handle RAM and resources better, and so, the renders are slightly faster, but is no deal break difference for me (I do statics, lately I do little animation). I too realize he's not fully up-to-date with Blender, and also is a hobby for him, not a freelancing profession. I keep telling him that I know the render benchmarks (he didn't, even tried to convince me his 980 nvidia would render faster than latest 1070 -80) demonstrate the difference for what would be not a render farm use, is not that great, it is *very* small, indeed, and as keeps telling me with passion "you need to at least try it!" I had to finally tell him I've been a Linux user (multi booting and not) for a ton of years,using it professionally too.  I understand this "mission". The numbers are terrible, and they are realizing that a ton of issues arise for the lack of compatibility in files, software, and workflows with the majority, which is clearly Windows, followed by OSX. I think one can be passionate, but this must not lead to forget a bunch of facts... The guy went as far as telling me this : "There is a software" (he obviously was NOT an expert in 2D) "Called Yshimp" (trying to bring here how he said Gimp to me, the way he pronounced it) "that destroys Photoshop and all 2D software in terms of capability, workflow, ease of use"  . I begged to differ, but not like I've read here from some. Is not the terrible tool some here have said Gimp is: It is a VERY capable tool, but c'mon, "more featured and capable than Photoshop" (despite being a man a bit older than my age, part of the explanation involved a flying kick as a figure of speech...)....gimme a break. I just made my nodding gesture for these cases (and a smile with a little irony) as a "we'll have to agree to disagree", as the poor other guy attending me wanted to close the shop and head home (but clearly didn't want to interrupt the boss in that passionate speech. )... It would have been much more interesting to know the kind of Blender projects he's into...

The Adobe color management might not work for your kind of tasks, but in print and web, corporate image, illustration, worked pretty well for me and a bunch of us...

I agree with your " B) " so much....with a passion, indeed. 

And I suppose you mean with C) using those machines for other uses... or sell them (lately been doing that, selling hardware second hand hardware is almost always a terrible business...)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 months later...

I think, not only businesses but also endusers are ready to pay whatever fair price, especially low, for a software that they appreciate and use. Not necessarily yearly xxx$, but definitly xx$ yearly.

Another strong decision maker is that we are fedup of MS open door for spying our data and expensive updates. WE WANT TO BREAK FREE FROM THAT NONSENSE ASAP, ASAP.

2 hours ago, EMHmark7 said:

I think, not only businesses but also endusers are ready to pay whatever fair price, especially low, for a software that they appreciate and use. Not necessarily yearly xxx$, but definitly xx$ yearly.

Another strong decision maker is that we are fedup of MS open door for spying our data and expensive updates. WE WANT TO BREAK FREE FROM THAT NONSENSE ASAP, ASAP.

I take it you don't own a cell phone and don't use social media? Because those are FAR worse than the Windows operating system.

As matter of fact, I do not have a cell phone. But it is not normal an OS can record all what is entering your mic or keyboard, including passwords. I know, even Sky pe and Face bK are problems, but the solution is that some people are beginning to look for alternate means. They give up, they are feed up, they say no more, and look for changes.

As a matter of fact, quoting EMH mark2 : "Please state the nature of the (medical) emergency." Now we are at a step where we are looking for or start to build solutions, not just ask. That is maybe why some people in the OpenSource are feeding Photoshop like projects, and others are thying to figure out how to make money programming OpenSource. But when there is an available software that is evolving rapidly and costs not much, the solution is there. I am asking: If a proprietary model serves well, how could we welcome it and feed it, so programmers can concentrate on other problems to solve?  Such as dump the nonsense and welcome the making sense.

I was not going to intervene again, but I read some things that....

You can disable Cortana, at least the assistant, and you can configure - better if during install-  all the settings to maximum privacy. In the Cortana settings, you can tell it to "stop learning about me" (it works as a Siri ) . To disable it totally, completely get ride of it, you need to edit a Group Policy if you are lucky to be in Windows 10 Pro, and if using Windows Home, then you need to edit a single thing in Registry editor. Super easy for anyone slightly familiar with computers and software. You can add (this is somehow a bit of deeper nature) a certain line in the hosts file to disable Bing trying to do web search when you search in your local machine. Besides configuring all settings the proper way. You obviously shouldn't use Edge browser, and you shouldn't use Windows default apps, but third party ones. (I do often so but as I want more functionality)  . You can install third party blockers to block all the telemetry. And you can configure your router in certain way. If you are that level of worried. And this sounds complex ? Well, Linux can bring you same level of complexity, just in other matters.  All the above mentioned is WAY below the level one SHOULD have if handling Linux. (the problem is a lot of people being very vocal about WIn 10 issues and praising Linux, are average or basic computer users with both.... )

There are tons of more measures that you can take. But as mentioned, if are in that level of worried, then don't use Google, is just the same, or worse. Simply, MS aspires to get what Google and Facebook have. And Facebook, we all have seen what happens. It is waaaaay, way more worrying than the Windows Telemetry. Again, you can minimize it so much that Google, Twitter of Facebook should be (well! Even if you do not touch a single setting of Windows 10, you should worry more about the other 3, lol.... ) much more of your concern...

In a perfect world, you'd have all the third party software that companies , organizations, neighbors, family and friends are using for their work/hobbies/communication, even if you'd be using Linux, having so 100% compatibility. Not the case, and the numbers of the Windows' user base compared to Linux's are massive. The day I can get a job without fighting like a beast to prove that Blender, Wings3D and Krita can output top quality stuff, or the day I have no issue at all if some client is  using whatever native files of whatever Windows software, while I'd be using Linux, and the day the actual top high end brands in software do really produce for Linux, (as this is not only KEY for working at whatever company, and to keep in touch with whatever is being used now at the companies, it is also an issue if you are a freelancer, for compatibility) and also the day that several high end tasks for professionals, will be available in software for Linux just like in Windows/Mac... etc,etc...  that day I'll move (BACK) to Linux, no doubts. Not sure if that day will ever arrive, but I cannot afford to work and live in a Limbo, meanwhile. Gotta use Win 7 , 8.x or 10.  If not your case, maybe it is that you don't depend on making a living solely from your freelance work, or that your specific work niche allows to cope with  the limitations.,. I can see why someone using the PC only for hobbies, or serious projects, but having a regular job -where often using Windows is not a matter of debate, is a must- , well, they can actually go all Linux, but is not the case for a lot of people. So, making a move like that, has its issues.  

I am not against a Linux port ( and whatever we think, doesn't count/matter for other people's plan and business). I don't know if they will be able to do it AND keep a reliable enough situation in AP, AD and APub. IMO, chances are that this, together with the iOS versions, is gonna be too much for a not huge company. It is already, IMO...  

To produce the 3, or even just APhoto under Linux, that would be quite a daunting task, I suspect. I think a lot of you think it is easier than it really is. But you never know, maybe it is actually in their plans....

PD: Expensive updates ? Updates are free in Windows. Upgrades are not... Even so, 100 to 150 bucks per major Windows version, IMO is quite cheap. I'm using a Windows 7 since 2009. Perfect, no issues. But that's some good 9 years (machine is that old, and also works nicely yet). Now, you say you are willing to pay ONE app , not an entire OS, but a single app, 50 bucks even to renew that payment per year.  ~ 50 bucks, per year, would have been for me , compared to the time frame I've been using Windows 7 (with free updates ! ), well, 50  x 9 = 450 euros.  Not as to say that a new Windows version is "expensive" . Is not just one more software app, is the OS over which you will install everything...Quite crucial, in my book. 

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:27 PM, SrPx said:

You can disable Cortana, at least the assistant, and you can configure - better if during install-  all the settings to maximum privacy. In the Cortana settings, you can tell it to "stop learning about me" (it works as a Siri) . To disable it totally, completely get ride of it, you need to edit a Group Policy if you are lucky to be in Windows 10 Pro, and if using Windows Home, then you need to edit a single thing in Registry editor. Super easy for anyone slightly familiar with computers and software. You can add (this is somehow a bit of deeper nature) a certain line in the hosts file to disable Bing trying to do web search when you search in your local machine.

You can disable Start menu web search results by changing a registry key as well.  In PowerShell:

# Disable web results in Windows search

$Path01 = "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search"

If (-Not (Test-Path -Path $Path01)) { New-Item -Force -Path $Path01 }

Set-ItemProperty -Force -Name "BingSearchEnabled" -Value "0" -Type "DWord" -Path $Path01

With that registry key set on 17134.1 (1803), no web search results are shown after rebooting (see below screenshot).  I'll see if this is still the case on a clean install of 1803 over the weekend as I want to clean install 1803 anyway to check whether VBS/HVCI is automatically enabled with chips older than Kaby Lake—or whether it still needs to be manually enabled for them.  But in theory that reg key should still work OK even on a cleanly installed 1803.

001.thumb.png.7f60b2a881315f857e61e34b5e565fc4.png

• Staff
19 hours ago, EMHmark7 said:

WE WANT TO BREAK FREE FROM THAT NONSENSE ASAP, ASAP.

Why are you shouting at us and others here? I don't think it's Serif job to facilitate your desire to change OS, and shouting will not change that, chill and chat :)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

My intention was not to shout, but put emphasis on the point. (I was forgetting how it can be interpreted in a chat). Sorry.

If I may add to the thread: I read somewhere that even if we disable data collection, it reenable itself after a while or after updates. Bottom of the line, MS allows itself to collect data, so maybe it means it can reenable this feature at will.

Also, another reason to go away from Win, is its business model, especialy for updates and upgrades in the mid-long term ($), and putting pressure on making good computers not fit anymore for usage. In long run, Cost of ownership is expensive just for maintaining the OS running. When we spend $ on OS upgrade, we normally do not have new useful features for the money.

4 minutes ago, EMHmark7 said:

My intention was not to shout, but put emphasis on the point.

It’s better to use italics or bold text (or both). :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If I may add to the thread: I read somewhere that even if we disable data collection, it reenable itself after a while or after updates. Bottom of the line, MS allows itself to collect data, so maybe it means it can reenable this feature at will.

As mentioned, there are third party tools, software applications with which you can entirely block this. Together with some configuration touches, editing the hosts file, setting up properly your router... What it sends with all "well configured", is minimal and quite anonymous. And if you use those spy blockers, then it gets to be none, the updates can't do anything against it (what they do in any case is reset a configuration, which yep, it ain't nice, but it can't control what you have in the hosts file, in your router, or the way you use totally external software tools). I have helped setting up Win 10s for friends, neighbors, etc (always with maximum privacy setting, except one funny case, he said he wanted to "share all with the world"... Some people don't really want to waste time, even after paying 150 bucks for the OS) Though never reaching those tinfoil hat levels. I'm in Win 7 yet, but merely as is a pain to configure my color calibration with the i1 Display calibrator and my NEC SpectraView, and a bunch of other things.  Plus having some old devices that will never get a proper driver, but that's another story.

Also, another reason to go away from Win, is its business model, especialy for updates and upgrades in the mid-long term ($), and putting pressure on making good computers not fit anymore for usage.

Huh.... Maybe I'm wrong, but last news I have, as far as I know, is AMD (so Linux friendly that this brand is considered) Ryzen cpus require Windows 10 as a minimal requirement... What I read is that's sth coming from the hardware vendor, not from MS....

Again, a life cycle of 7 -9 years for kind of 145 euros (just looked at it now, lol) IMO is dirty cheap for what is in general commercial software .  Because obviously we are not comparing to free software, all the people complaining here for not having a Linux port are talking about getting it paying, not free. Even paying '500' bucks, several have said here.... So... how a 145 euros thing is expensive for almost a decade of continued usage, professionally and what not, and free updates that escapes to my understanding. No single update is to cost a dime. (upgrading happens after those 7 to 9 years of life cycle, yes! And only if you wish. I 've had MS operating systems for way more years, unconnected to any network) In that time things change so much in technology that by then you actually need and desire those changes.

In long run, Cost of ownership is expensive just for maintaining the OS running. When we spend $ on OS upgrade, we normally do not have new useful features for the money.

Oh... We do. Windows 7 (an extreme improvement over Vista, and quite considerable over XP, people who deny it do not know the system), which I very much like, is quite less efficient with memory handling than 8.x or 10, I have tested it with real situations, compared detail to detail, clean installs, etc. There are quite more improvements, technology related, and even not wanting to count on all those, you do get something, the update to a lot of libraries and system to work with new stuff. For me, the performance gain is a huge factor. I've seen a laptop get entirely a new life thanks to it ! Impressive while the norm is that software lately usually needs more hardware.(point is: Yeah, XP needs less ram as a minimal requirement, but after that, the memory handling seems much more efficient in 10 . If you work with big files, with graphics, etc, you end up noticing it)

Like someone said, all this energy would so much better used in helping with donations (those 500 bucks so many times mentioned, for example) to projects (which yes, are lacking in several areas, but are way better than a lot of people think) like The Gimp , Inkscape or Krita. I have worked using those and even "put in risk" , so to say, my plate of food, at some companies. Not on purpose, but because back then my bosses did not want to spend a dime in software. And let me tell you, those applications worked till a much larger extent than I expected, during years. You need quite some tricks, and CMYK workflows are almost non existent (really, it is possible. Is a complex workflow but you can deal with that sort of thing in Linux, too, not using commercial software), but you can always find a workaround.

Now...good for a fast paced, highly demanding environment with current professional market needs, high end? Nope, but those are very specially the case of companies having at least 50 bucks a month to be considered as a reasonable expense per seat, then there's zero issues at all: They just use the entire Adobe cloud per seat.  So... IMO is more a matter of debate for independent professionals, freelancers and basic or advanced hobbyists (IMO some companies are (or will be) using Affinity, though).  Home users... non gaming people can already use just Linux for all, from my point of view. Gamers...hmmm, not yet the case, in general.  And in the case of indies/freelancers (a large group), is a huge lot dependent on your particular niche. A very good example : Blender has been extensively used in recent years by video studios, small business producing video or local TV companies.( Today I don't know, it is aiming higher and higher.) Inskcape does pretty well for RGB based workflows, like based on SVG format, etc. I know comic authors using exclusively Inkscape. And it has some features better developed than in some high end commercial solutions (some features, only).

The problem for these applications is to cover more professional areas and do it reaching the professional market expectations. But they are quite good tools. And your help and energy would be much more useful there, where, maybe neither trying to impose a roadmap or particular way of doing ("hey, do a crowd funding" !! etc) is neither welcome, no developer likes this, logically, no individual person does either, in general, but yep would be welcome donations, diffusion, contribution in other ways, etc, and you would help open source to grow by using the open source solutions that people freely have built to help the community. Instead, you are here wanting commercial solutions to save the day for open source... I mean, of course I don't have a problem with mixing things... Is indeed great to be able to use open source in closed OSes, and closed apps in open systems. Why not ? I'm not a crazy open source fan by any stretch.... but imo makes much more sense, matches much better the open source spirit, to help Gimp and Krita grow, in what is raster editors, for example. And any open source project does welcome with open arms any sort of donation. Indeed!, there are a few that even do the thing of "pay me for a feature", so if you want very much a feature that you need but the author never thought was important, you pay an agreed quantity and the developer adds it to the application (but careful, the option of giving this possibility comes always from the developers, it's their call). Well, this is one of the problems. You (sort of) "can" do this in the OS community. Not so much in commercial, closed source software companies.  In some very rare cases you can, but I have found very few of them. Is far from the norm, in commercial software developers. 

Even if Linux improves a lot in its graphic production applications, sooner or later you'll need Windows for this or that, as this world moves around it and the Mac machines... IMO, the clever thing to do is install it with the mentioned tricks, even the blockers if you are so concerned. You can have a multiboot with the two systems, or have one of them in a virtual machine (you can control certain stuff much better if it is encapsulated in a VMware virtual machine, for example. ) Having the 3 systems in same machine is a bit more complex. I'd vote for having 3 machines, but I'll leave that for once I get rich.

• 2 weeks later...

why arent they using a cross platform gui library like GTK+ or QT instead of trying to create a gui for each different OS... seems like a lot of double work, right?

most modern software projects simply start out with a crossplatform solution and then finally compile for each OS, no?

8 minutes ago, geegee said:

why arent they using a cross platform gui library like GTK+ or QT instead of trying to create a gui for each different OS... seems like a lot of double work, right?

There is much more to it than just the GUI. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, geegee said:

whats the software written in?

From what little the developers have said about that, they use C++, but I don't know if they mean just for the platform-independent core code or what. I am reasonably sure each platform version uses OS specific APIs when they provide a performance advantage, & probably a lot of hand tweaking, exception handlers, & so on to optimize resource management.

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

From what little the developers have said about that, they use C++, but I don't know if they mean just for the platform-independent core code

Yes, that’s what they mean.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...

This is one of those to me self fulfilling things where dev's go "there is no market" well there isn't..because you and other dev's like you keeping me in dual boot limbo, skewing your numbers by purchasing a windows license to make your "look how many windows users we have" more valid. shame on me.

And in the global stats, what percentage are you ? 9_9

No...more seriously... A lot of people don't have a dual boot. I have even had 5 OSes in a same machine . Was a time I had it really hard to decide which Linux distro (varying from 5 to 3, until was only one, and then realized it made no sense ...to "get it" took me years, lol) was my fav... and couldn't afford to avoid Windows (as always), but thing is, it means much more time in OS maintenance, obviously (plus disk space, etc). The population doing so (people don't have time for that, at least the majority), in numbers, quite minimal in the big picture, if already the linux user base is really small in comparison (a lot of those stats are from people browsing, or using actual linux specific applications, no matter if they as well have a Windows installed) , then is obvious that having Linux (already an exception to the rule of "simple and easy wins for the masses" (the consoles > than PC example) ) is harder to Windows users by itself, let alone having it AND a Windows installed... Indeed, if wasn't just due to the motivation that most don't have to do that, u loose any majority possibility just in the simple creation of the multi boot thing... it is dumb easy for you (and these days is way easier), but you would be amazed realizing how much of an obstacle is for others.

• 9 months later...
On 11/19/2016 at 8:18 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

Herbert123,

You have been asked, politely, not to continutally pedal PhotoLine on these boards.

We of course invite users to point out differences between our application and those produced by others - good or bad - but when a cursory search of the internet reveals a user whose sole purpose appears to be posting on nearly all PhotoLine competitor forums, posting only about the supposed advantages of PhotoLine over the application supported by that board (often with factually incorrect / contrived examples of its superiority), we will draw the line..

PhotoLine is indeed a genuine competitor for Affinity Photo, along with numerous other applications - their success or lack of it should be defined by the capability of their applications and the quality / reach of their marketing - not by paid / zealot users filing the forums of their competition with half-truths and misdirection.

I do not believe that what we are asking is unreasonable - please respect our request.

Andy.

@Andy, the Affinity range of products is excellent software and I heartily recommend that anyone on Windows and macOS actively considers using them over a certain range of equivalent cloudy, monthly subscription products (they who shall remain nameless).

I also agree that porting over the Affinity softwares to Linux is not economically viable at this time. However, what really ought to at least be looked at is adjusting the Affinity products so that they can work well in Wine for Linux. That is an altogether more manageable and cost efficient solution and it could be marketed as such - for Windows, macOS and Linux with Wine.

Not only would Serif get thousands or more of extra sales, it would produce more converts to Linux (now that good productivity software would be available) which would then in turn bring in more sales. I'm calling that a win for Serif.

But, why not program Affinity in a multi-platform low level compiled language such as Web Assembly (Rust for FireFox) or other new languages that we begin to hear about (I do not remember the names) that will be reliable because they will take care of memory allocation, etc?

37 minutes ago, EMHmark7 said:

But, why not program Affinity in a multi-platform low level compiled language such as Web Assembly (Rust for FireFox) or other new languages that we begin to hear about (I do not remember the names) that will be reliable because they will take care of memory allocation, etc?

Because Serif have neither the time nor the resources to port the current version to a new language?

Keith Reeder