You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please, stop assuming Linux is a small market and give us a try. What does it takes for you to consider creating a Linux version? Or at least a Steam OS one? How many users or licenses? Better yet, create a Kickstart project for that and let us buy the licenses to fund your Linux version. 

3 minutes ago, Bloque9 said:

Please, stop assuming Linux is a small market and give us a try. What does it takes for you to consider creating a Linux version? Or at least a Steam OS one? How many users or licenses? Better yet, create a Kickstart project for that and let us buy the licenses to fund your Linux version. 

If there would be preorders, I would order one even today :)

30 minutes ago, Bloque9 said:

One of the staff already mentioned that if there had been something like 20,000 people asking for native Linux versions (why this is so often referred to in the singular I don't understand) then they would already be scrambling to develop them as quickly as possible. But nothing like that has happened.

They have also explained (more than once!) that crowd funding does not fit their business model, that it is not just a matter of "porting" the apps to Linux but also optimizing them to get performance comparable to the other platform versions (& they are still working on bringing the Windows performance up to the same level as for the Mac), & have given due consideration to essentially everything else that Linux advocates keep repeating in these long topics time after time.

It all comes down to the same thing: Serif is a small, privately owned company with less than 100 employees. They are focused on creating & improving a suite of three tightly integrated apps on three platforms (Mac, Windows, & iOS/iPadOS). That may change in the future, but for now this is their priority.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, only thing I need is a link to send people interested in Affinity Software for Linux and actually pre-order their licenses. You can start with Designer and Photo. If its ok for you. Meantime, I keep my word to buy 9 licenses from you, (you can give me the licenses first in Windows and change to Linux when it is done). Just give me the link to pre-order my Linux software. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Bloque9 said:

Well, only thing I need is a link to send people interested in Affinity Software for Linux and actually pre-order their licenses. You can start with Designer and Photo. If its ok for you. Meantime, I keep my word to buy 9 licenses from you, (you can give me the licenses first in Windows and change to Linux when it is done). Just give me the link to pre-order my Linux software. 

It is extremely unlikely Serif would be willing to take pre-orders for products they have not yet committed to developing. For their existing Affinity products they have from the beginning required purchasing separate licenses for each supported platform, so it is also extremely unlikely they would allow exchanging a Windows (or Mac) license for a Linux one, particularly years later, if & when the Linux versions are available for purchase.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I want to pre-order a round trip ticket to Proxima Centauri b (Window, please). Wait... I believe I have some cash remaining from the last weekend...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, Bloque9 said:

@Bloque9, I am afraid that whichever way it is looked at, Linux on the desktop comes in third place behind Windows and macOS and that currently makes it uneconomic for Serif to port the range of Affinity products to Linux. It's an unfortunate chicken and egg situation where Linux users want productivity software but companies won't port their products over until Linux market share grows but people won't move over to Linux because the productivity software isn't there.

What I think it is reasonable to do (and some other software providers already do this) is to ask Serif to look into making the Windows Affinity softwares work well with Wine for Linux so that Linux users can then use the rather good Affinity range of products on their computers.

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is extremely unlikely Serif would be willing to take pre-orders for products they have not yet committed to developing. For their existing Affinity products they have from the beginning required purchasing separate licenses for each supported platform, so it is also extremely unlikely they would allow exchanging a Windows (or Mac) license for a Linux one, particularly years later, if & when the Linux versions are available for purchase.

Ill wait then, Im sure were not the only one willing to pay licenses (Linux ones) in advance. 

10 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I want to pre-order a round trip ticket to Proxima Centauri b (Window, please). Wait... I believe I have some cash remaining from the last weekend...

Really? Do you find that hard to believe that 20,000 people in all the world would pay for a license on linux? Specially since the web development goes straight to that direction? I do not see the need to undermine an effort with your lame humour just because you think it is as hard as going to another galaxy. 

14 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

What I think it is reasonable to do (and some other software providers already do this) is to ask Serif to look into making the Windows Affinity softwares work well with Wine for Linux so that Linux users can then use the rather good Affinity range of products on their computers.

This is yet another thing that already been requested multiple times. The catch is the 'work well with Wine' part would be very difficult to do with respect to the performance of the apps. Like I mentioned earlier, just getting the performance in the native Windows version to match that of the Mac ones is still very much a work in progress. Adding a Wine layer to the mix would just add more complications they would have to deal with.

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, Bloque9 said:

Really? Do you find that hard to believe that 20,000 people in all the world would pay for a license on linux?

Doesn't matter what anyone here "believes" - why should Serif gamble on wishful thinking and Linux user "I'm sure..."s?

Keith Reeder

Just now, Bloque9 said:

Really? Do you find that hard to believe that 20,000 people in all the world would pay for a license on linux?

The issue is that 20,000 people have not told Serif they would buy Linux versions, nor is it clear when Serif could offer them anything for their money or how well that would compare to the existing products.

So imagine what it would be like if in 2-3 years Serif finally released their first Linux version & it performed poorly & lacked major features the Mac & Windows versions include. My guess is lots of the people that had paid up front for the app would be screaming to get their money back, not just in the customer support forum or directly from Serif, but also all over social media.

Can you see why that might not be a risk Serif would be willing to take?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:
Affinity's developers would probably go insane after the Windows version.

What makes you think they are sane now? xD

Affinity Photo 

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The issue is that 20,000 people have not told Serif they would buy Linux versions, nor is it clear when Serif could offer them anything for their money or how well that would compare to the existing products.

So imagine what it would be like if in 2-3 years Serif finally released their first Linux version & it performed poorly & lacked major features the Mac & Windows versions include. My guess is lots of the people that had paid up front for the app would be screaming to get their money back, not just in the customer support forum or directly from Serif, but also all over social media.

Can you see why that might not be a risk Serif would be willing to take?

I do. And still, thank you for consider it. Maybe in a few years from now. 

56 minutes ago, SrPx said:

“Sorry, sir. At present we’re only offering one-way tickets....”

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

This is yet another thing that already been requested multiple times. The catch is the 'work well with Wine' part would be very difficult to do with respect to the performance of the apps. Like I mentioned earlier, just getting the performance in the native Windows version to match that of the Mac ones is still very much a work in progress. Adding a Wine layer to the mix would just add more complications they would have to deal with.

@R C-R, when it comes to the use of Windows RAW developer and image editor softwares (without mentioning any specific names) on Linux via Wine, the performance issue aspect is one that does not appear to be prominent or to be a cause of great concern.

Therefore, I do not think it is an unreasonable request to ask Serif to get one of their developers to look into, for example, just how much tweaking would be required to get the Affinity Photo Windows version to work reasonably well in Wine on Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

However, at this time, I think it would be an unreasonable request to ask Serif to consider directly porting over the Affinity products given Linux's third place desktop market share and the attendant large financial viability uncertainties.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Bloque9 said:

Meantime, I keep my word to buy 9 licenses from you

Nobody from Serif has suggested this as a solution, you are discussing this with other interested parties. Please do not spend money on our (non-transferable) Windows or macOS licenses currently available, unless you can use them yourself.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Bloque9 said:

got it. 

@Bloque9, I just wanted to say that I do actually have a great deal of sympathy for your position and the only other option that comes to mind is, for example, using the Affinity softwares on Windows 7 inside VirtualBox on a Linux computer. That solution does though have system resource implications.

9 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

@Bloque9, I just wanted to say that I do actually have a great deal of sympathy for your position and the only other option that comes to mind is, for example, using the Affinity softwares on Windows 7 inside VirtualBox on a Linux computer. That solution does though have system resource implications.

Thanks for the advice (and the sympathy)! :) It is not that bad actually. Anyway, I think Affinity Designer and Photo are great software. 

My most powerful CPU is on windows 8. My fear is that someday, I will need to upgrade my OS to followUp with Affinity.

I am afraid about MS business model about private data. I feel it's a big open backdoor. We do not know anymore what we get when we Get Win or Ggle OS.

3 hours ago, Bloque9 said:

I do not see the need to undermine an effort with your lame humour

Ehm....sorry .... (seriously)

(for the record, I didn't want to undermine anything..... )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.