You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert to symbol

I love the symbols functionality but it's horrible to replace existing objects with symbols.

I'm often creating graphs in R exported as SVG then I use Designer to layout, resize, ect for a final product.

For example, I can export a scatterplot from R. Say I want to resize all the points and rotate them. Before symbols I would have to adjust each individual point. Symbols help because you can make adjustments to theoretically one point once all the symbols are created.

Recently, I've been manually replacing each point with its "symbol" version but this also takes a long time and requires checking the coordinates every time.

It would be fantastic if you could convert basic objects, like rectangles, lines, ect to an existing symbol. It might require checking that the object and symbol are actually the same except position or fitting the symbol to the object's dimensions. But since I'm replacing matching objects, this is never a problem for me.

This feature would help me a ton. I have actually spent hours replacing simple objects with symbols because I knew I needed all the objects to match but didn't know the exact specifications beforehand to change each object individually.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I am trying to do exactly the same thing, but cannot possibly replace all the data points with symbols manually. I don't think it is currently possible to collectively resize the symbols w/o individually selecting each one of them. Has anybody found a workaround?