You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm having a problem with the Power Duplicate.  Actually 2 problems.  

1. How do I duplicate with out Power Duplicating?  I duplicated (cmd J) then moved the duplicate.  Then I wanted a duplicate of the second shape in the same position and orientation but AD moves the third (created by a cmd J) in the manor I had moved the second (a Power Duplicate).  So I have to fight to get the third back to the position of the second.  There must be a way to cmd J without it doing an auto Transform.

2. I have two shapes a circle and a wedge of it, like a thin slice of a pie (except the edge of the wedge is not just a plain arc).  I need to rotate 5.625 degrees (keeping the center of the wedge in the center of the circle) and do this several (64) times.  The help instructions for Power Duplicate say "duplicate, then transform, then duplicate" so I zoomed in on the edge of the wedge then hit cmd J and ran into the problem 1 above.  So I did an undo.

The PD video shows holding down alt (option) key when dragging the original to make the duplicate, so held down option (to create the duplicate) and control (to rotate around the center of the pie) then grabbed the rotate arrows just off the corner of the bounding box, next to the broad end of the wedge and rotated.  It did not make a duplicate, without the original being also there I could see exactly how far to rotate the item.  Why am I not getting a copy?  Just holing down the option key (without control) I still do not get a duplicate.  Does PD not work for just a rotate, is a move also required?  Or does 

On another topic, I just tried Separated Mode along with having two views of my drawing open.  So I could have one zoomed out and one zoomed in close.  Fantastic.  Makes makes accurate movements so much easier.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thank you MEB.  That took care of the first problem.  

On the second I would swear that was one of the methods I tried.  But it worked this time.  Oh well.  

I noticed that sometimes when I was working some of my wedges, which have no fill just a 0.1 stroke in black, changed color to be a pinkish purple after I hovered over it.  At times I had 3 or 4 out of 30 that were this color.  What does that mean?  How do I get them to be black again?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

That purple line means that those objects are considered snapping candidates. When you hover an object with Show snapping candidates active Affinity adds them to the snapping candidates "list". This means snap will take them in consideration to align other objects using them as references. You can turn it off going to View -> Snapping Manager... and unchecking Show snapping candidates.