You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Problems reverting brushed/textured strokes to solid or dashed line styles

For any stroke that has had a brush style applied to it, if I try to revert it to a solid or dashed line style using the Style buttons in the Stroke Studio panel or Context toolbar, the pressure profile for the solid style or the dash parameters for the dash style have no effect.

For example, for the solid line style, I can change the pressure profile curve & that curve is shown in the small Pressure: window but the object's stroke does not accept that profile. Likewise, setting dash parameters does nothing at all. For both, the stroke remains a solid one of uniform width.

For the default texture brush styles & some others like the DAUB Vector Set Vol 2, clicking the solid or dash style buttons does not even change the stroke style at all -- the stroke continues to use the brush style even though the solid or dash style button is shown as selected.

So is this because I am not using the correct procedure to revert the stroke style, a bug in the app, or something that resetting brush styles or clearing something on app startup should fix? I would prefer not to do any resetting or clearing if I can avoid it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have done some more tests & this is looking more & more like a bug: for some brush types, most notably the default "Assorted" ones, I can sometimes use the Pressure "Reset" function to get back control of line width by setting a new pressure profile, but this does not always work, & I have no idea what determines when it does & when it does not.

For any of the default Texture brushes, it is as if the Reset & new profile procedure tries to work, changing the width of the stroke slightly, but it remains a textured brush stroke after changing it to Solid Line Style.

Can anyone confirm the same or similar behavior?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Can anyone confirm the same or similar behavior?

Anybody have a few minutes to test this?

Affinity Photo 

For any stroke that has had a brush style applied to it, if I try to revert it to a solid or dashed line style using the Style buttons in the Stroke Studio panel or Context toolbar, the pressure profile for the solid style or the dash parameters for the dash style have no effect.

For example, for the solid line style, I can change the pressure profile curve & that curve is shown in the small Pressure: window but the object's stroke does not accept that profile. Likewise, setting dash parameters does nothing at all. For both, the stroke remains a solid one of uniform width.

Hi R C-R,

For me, if I try to return to a solid line or dotted lines, the drawing line remains in brush style but has pressure works for the brush and the solid line.

For the default texture brush styles & some others like the DAUB Vector Set Vol 2, clicking the solid or dash style buttons does not even change the stroke style at all -- the stroke continues to use the brush style even though the solid or dash style button is shown as selected.

The result is the same for me with the difference that when the passage from "brush" to "solid line" or vice versa, the filling of the line moves slightly to the right or to the left depending on the case.

W10 64 bits, AD 1.5.1.43

reglico,

Thanks for your reply. There seems to be something buggy about this on both Mac & Windows versions, but it would help if a few more people reported what happens for them. (Hint, hint!  ;) )

Affinity Photo 

I've been messing around w. this for the past 10 - 14 days. No clear understanding, but I have some observations.

It seems to me that the stroke has to have a controller assigned when made w. pen, pencil or brush. If using a mouse, I select velocity, tho' it is awfully hard to use. Then I can go back to the stroke dialogue and add a pressure curve. Then go into the stroke properties and alter the size, opacity, brush width. My guess is that selecting a controller initiates a variable for recording the variation.

If I reset the pressure curve, I need to redraw it, and then nudge the property values to get the stroke to vary again.

This applies to the default basic and textured brush types. Haven't done anything w. images.

It works to alter both solid and brush type strokes, but not dashed.

My guess is that w the dash style, the gaps between the dash are regulated by the width of the stoke, and if that is continuously varying, there's no fixed data to make the calculation.

Maybe not a bug, but quite awkward.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

After drawing a solid line with the pen, without adding pressure, I apply a brush.

If I then want to return to the solid line, I am obliged to reset to 0 "variation of size" and "variation of opacity" in the window "properties" of the line.

I then get a solid line but I can not add pressure. On the other hand if I draw then a new solid line the pressure is automatically applied to it.

I find it interesting that a line automatically keeps its characteristics of "variation in size and opacity" from "brush" to "solid line" or at least to leave us the possibility of keeping these characteristics or not , and that pressure can be added to this line.

Maybe I missed something ...

• 3 years later...

This is still an issue (Designer 1.8.6): once I change a stroke to texture style, I can no longer change it back to fully-configurable solid or dash line style. It almost seems like the solid style works (the stroke loses the texture effect), but I am unable to modify the stoke pressure any more and opening properties just shows the old texture style instead of the solid one; and changing to dash line style does nothing at all. This is really frustrating as it means if I change a curve to texture stroke (either accidentally or to test how it looks), I can never go back to fine-tuning the solid stroke version, without just having to remake the curve, which is not something I'm willing to do for anything more than the most simple curve design. Now if I want to test out texture style, I need to remember to create duplicates of all my curves ahead of time to avoid "breaking" them. When will this be fixed?

Never mind - after trying for several days over the course of a few weeks to reset the stroke styles on my curve layers, I discovered that I can create a fresh stroke via Studio > Appearance > Add Stroke. The new stroke can be fully modified as a solid or dash style. It's still frustrating and confusing that I can't apparently switch between styles on a single stroke, though.

Edited by rave
discovered new information