You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Back to skeuomorphic design...

paolo.limoncelli

• Staff

There was nothing wrong with Skeumorphism.

On occasion I shed a mental tear for the loss of the IOS6 UI.  Flat UI that bears no relation to its purpose seems to have taken over.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I do like Skeuomorphism too, but think that Flat design has its strengths.

Sometimes with a bit of common sense, both could coexist in the same project.

The main target should be in any case the most fluid and seamless user's experience of the product.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I think that the mobile boom "killed" Skeuomorphism. If you index the colors on a Flat icon, you might get--at best--6-9 colors, which is a lot less than having to bring some Skeuomorphic icons/graphics (with possibly a much higher amount of colors and, therefore, larger files) down through a 3G pipeline. Even if your connection is 4G+, in this day and age, every byte not going toward graphic content is going towards analytics and back end.

Having said that, I miss Skeuomorphism as well and agree that there should be room for both.

And, Paolo, loving your Krita icon.

Thank you for such an interesting thread, I had never heard of skeuomorphism so I googled it. It seems that I am in favour of the modern without realising it, the googles images page has some great pairs of images and I was surprised to find that I own a "modern" flat Windows phone whilst my daughter has the rounded corners of the iphone. Another hobby, of recent years, has been to spot the slight changes is various Serif desktop icons....interesting. This is a good place to learn about design.

Room for both, I would say :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

The paradox is that the very first skeuomrphic UI were... Flat!

Apple Lisa Desktop

171768517img01.png

Folders, Floppies, Trash bin are skeuomorphic elements. 

In this case flat stile is due to the same reason expressed by Quarian: low or poor hw/context resources.

Anyway, another icon

markersIcon.png

With AD is really easy and fast to achieve realistic light and material rendering.

Almost on par with PS and thanks to raster tools surpasses Sketch which is a benchmark today.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I think it's just the nature of development - how often do I say to my daughter "I wish I'd kept the one I had in the 60s/70s/80s/90s" about something that is new and cutting edge to her.

So I'll prophesy that there are only two ways of producing an image on a computer screen: flat and not-flat (skeuomorphic) and business will switch from one to the other at that point in time when the first is getting to look old fashioned. I like the flat because it's fresh and uncluttered - for now :)

I like what you are doing, btw, they would look nice framed, for sale, in a department store. They are very much of the moment and I would have them in my studio if I had a studio.

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

I love Skeuomorphic design. I hope we can find a happy medium....I  don't think it was bad I think there was just some bad designs and abuse of the style. The same could be said about Flat design. Honestly I don't like most flat design because sometimes it hard to know where my eye supposed to go to navigate a page or a mobile device. IMHO

I really don't think there is a right or a wrong, businesses will use whichever they think will capture the buying public's attention at the time so designs will tend to cycle through the two styles depending on the context. Logos seem to have settled into flat which suggests to me that flat is remembered and identified more easily and causes little "annoyance" when seen on packaging and on TV.

You find some flat design difficult to navigate? That makes sense. Perhaps a skeuomorphic design is like the Times New Roman font - the curly bits are supposed to help the eye to follow the text, so maybe the semi-realistic light and shade of skeuomorphic design does the same with some UIs?

My Flickr Album