You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi - I've purchase Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo in hopes I could stop my Adobe subscription. The name 'Designer' suggested to me that it would be a replacement for InDesign (or at least to 80%).

I could not find anything on the Affinity website (or this forum) about the product placement, except for info on which Adobe files can be opened (in the feature list), which suggests that Affinity Designer is more of a "replacement" for Illustrator.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

• Staff

stefhz,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

These are our plans https://affinity.serif.com/about

We do not particularly like to express equivalence with other pieces of software.

Searching this forum for InDesign should have found you some results.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi - I've purchase Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo in hopes I could stop my Adobe subscription. The name 'Designer' suggested to me that it would be a replacement for InDesign (or at least to 80%).

I could not find anything on the Affinity website (or this forum) about the product placement, except for info on which Adobe files can be opened (in the feature list), which suggests that Affinity Designer is more of a "replacement" for Illustrator.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

The answer is: Not yet - but soon coming

Affinity Designer is a very fine replacement for any line or text based art like Illustrator, Affinity Photo for Photoshop - but neither for inDesign.

Today...

That said - the ultimate iDesingn & Adobe killer will come from Serife middle 2017 with (the announced but not officially confirmed release date) Affinity Publisher.

A lot of professional folks worldwide are waiting for with their wallet in hand giving Adobe the kiss of death then.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

… the ultimate iDesingn & Adobe killer …

You definitely are a dreamer! :)

Let us bet: The first versions of Affinity Publisher are comparable to Apple’s Pages, never to InDesign.

Developing an application comparable to InDesign (or QuarkXpress) will last for at least 5, more likely 10 years, to be realistc.

You definitely are a dreamer! :)

Let us bet: The first versions of Affinity Publisher are comparable to Apple’s Pages, never to InDesign.

Developing an application comparable to InDesign (or QuarkXpress) will last for at least 5, more likely 10 years, to be realistc.

Pages is a pretty fine Text editor with some added features allowing some formatting letters or texts. Even some flyers - but thats it. Another class than the pro app XPress.

It took Adobe 20 years to get there where Serife is about today after 4 years development - reason is, times have changed and small companies are thanks to independent free sources far more able nowadays to bring SW out faster and better then the fat grown elephants trying to mend their crumbling cement their standards.

I bet that Serife is with its professional Publisher (they had a pretty good one already in the market before) giving Adobe a sweating run for its money in 2017 - how high bet?

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Nobody needs another Word (for Mac & PC) or Pages (Mac)

Even a 4th grader knows this.

Serife would be extremely stupid aiming so low.

They have with AD & AP already two product shadowing on a Publishing software - - even far of by today.

If the make their coming Affinity Publishing software compatible with their AP & AD standard (they will 100% do) and support as now Photoshop files, then they have a very, very competitive offer for professionals.

If history is a guide Serife acts until now in PR quite clever is offering updates on a regular basis for its quite professional products, and responding quickly on the board, meanwhile the de facto standard setting sole monopolist Adobe (with its subscription streetgang model) is aiming to suck as much out of their hostages as possible.

Maybe not. Affinity's developers do not have to worry about supporting a massive legacy code base. They can take advantage of system level services, sophisticated open source libraries, & development tools that didn't even exist when their competitors were developing their apps. I suspect much of the code base in those other apps is old enough to vote, & that updating it to modern standards of efficiency & ever evolving OS compatibility puts a huge drag on their further development.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Let's wait and see! My prediction: AffPub' first editions will become a fine layouter for standard purposes as small flyers.

AD is already a fine layout app for small flyers. The first release version of APub will at the very least have to offer multiple pages (including a 'facing pages' view) with page numbering, linked text frames and the ability to wrap text around other objects.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Maybe not. Affinity's developers do not have to worry about supporting a massive legacy code base. They can take advantage of system level services, sophisticated open source libraries, & development tools that didn't even exist when their competitors were developing their apps. I suspect much of the code base in those other apps is old enough to vote, & that updating it to modern standards of efficiency & ever evolving OS compatibility puts a huge drag on their further development.

Serif developer Dave Harris has posted elsewhere on these forums to say that it will be years before Affinity Publisher can do what Adobe InDesign or even Serif's own PagePlus can do.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Serif developer Dave Harris has posted elsewhere on these forums to say that it will be years before Affinity Publisher can do what Adobe InDesign or even Serif's own PagePlus can do.

I do remember reading that. I am just wondering if it really will take five to ten years from now to get to that point. It is a pretty vague statement: "years" could mean anything from two on up.  ;)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 months later...

Nothing in this forum since January. The website says

"We’ll be asking you to help us perfect Affinity Publisher when we publish it in beta in 2017. Needless to say it’ll share the power, pace, precision and professionalism we place at the heart of every Affinity product, completing our suite of spectacular creative tools."

Any news?  Is there a way to get on the list of beta participants?