cai

Ligatures and ordinals not working

I cannot get ligatures or ordinals to work.

It works fine in TextEdit, Pages and InDesign, but not Designer.

Examples attached for Zapfino (ttf shipped with Mac OS a while ago) with strings "Digestif" and "28th".

post-13078-0-61736000-1483903809_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid we don't support such features for this font. The reason is that it uses older TrueType tables, and we only support OpenType ones. Specifically, we don't support 'morx'.

we don't support 'morx'

Thanks for your reply.

A shame you don't support this ttf feature.  Are there any plans to?  When I looked it up, I noticed the TT manual says morx is "essential" for Arabic and Hindi.

If not, or in the meantime, is there any way I can get these font glyphs into my Designer document?

Thanks!

We do support the OpenType 'gsub' table, which is another way to do the same kind of thing. We don't support Arabic or Hindi, but that's because they are right-to-left languages.

Currently one way to get the glyphs is to view the font with FontBook's Repertoire panel, find the glyph you want, then copy it and paste it into Affinity. In 1.6 we hope to have our own font glyph browser, as a dockable Studio page, to make this easier.

I just deleted a note where I was wondering about advanced ligatures, old style numbers and other typography features in OpenType fonts.  I realized that it's in the Typography flyout on the Text menu.  Anyway, happy it's there and also accessible in shift-CMT-T (maybe dock that in later versions?).  Here's a helpful video of what can be done - great stuff