rjan

Burn, dodge and saturation tool tonal range settings poor

I find the difference between tonal range settings (highlights, midtones, shadows) is not very different when using the Burn, Dodge and Saturation tools. 

Can these tools be improved so that there's more differentiation between highlights, midtowns and shadows when using these tools?

Although my next question may fit better with a features request, I'd like to keep it in context because they're related; It'll be nice to be able to adjust how much one tonal range setting impinges onto the next - like a tolerance setting. This would give remarkable control over burning and dodging. 

Hey rjan,

I've just done a comparison in Photoshop and I seem to be getting similar results. Have you done a comparison yourself? I'd like to see your results if you have.

We can move this post to Feature Requests once we have looked into the first part :)

On 29.07.2015 at 1:53 PM, Chris_K said:

I would have to say this is more a subjective thing and a feature request rather than a bug.

On 09.01.2017 at 2:46 PM, Chris B said:

I've just done a comparison in Photoshop and I seem to be getting similar results. Have you done a comparison yourself? I'd like to see your results if you have.

No, it's not subjective. I created a gradient from black to white, performed one brush stroke with 100% opacity, and then created a curve representing the tool effect.

The following two images represent how the Dodge and Burn tools work in Photoshop. The second with the Protect Tones option enabled.

dodge-burn-photoshop.thumb.png.29df301271f9c70a695d323b21b30f62.png

dodge-burn-photoshop-protect-tones.thumb.png.ffd0b93ee87e36172be54baeb062ba04.png

The following picture represent how it works in Affinity Photo.

dodge-burn-affinity-photo.thumb.png.a11a3c590f8eac84cd4d94cb0cf1d834.png

The Shadows is completely broken, they affects the midtones and highlights range more than the Midtones. It seems like the left part of the Burn (Shadows) graph is flipped.

In 16bit mode the Dodge (Midtones) is also broken.

dodge-burn-affinity-photo-bug.png.a23961c652ddcf72424ab57450fe46a6.png