You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Photo] Export PDF with bleed?

Hi Affinty-People,

can I export PDF with bleed in Affinity Photo?

I'm using the german version and try to explain as good as I can.

In english:

When I want to make a "new" document I can activate "page margins", for example 3 mm. Now I can edit the document and there are margins at the edges of the document.

While exporting the file to PDF there is an option for "with cutting area", after I clicked "More options".

The exported file has no (!) page margins. What is the mistake?

In german:

Wenn ich ein neues Dokument erstelle über "Datei>Neu" kann ich die "Seitenränder" einstellen.

Während der Bearbeitung erscheinen am Rand die Ränder. 

Beim Exportieren als PDF gibt es die Option für "Inkl. Anschnittbereiche" hinter dem "Mehr".

Obwohl doch eigentlich alles richtig eingestellt sein sollte, sind die PDF ohne Anschnitt.

Wo liegt das Problem?

This is what it looks like in Affinity Photo (we can see the 4mm bleeds)

9bcdc3-1483916480.png

The PDF-Export Settings (German):

12a0af-1483916494.png

The view with Adobe Reader of the exported PDF (no 4mm bleeds anymore):

31ed80-1483916492.png

Hope you guys can help me,

Duc

First, AP is not meant for producing press ready material. It is an image editor. AD is tool for press material production and it has working (more or less) bleed option.

Second, margins have nothing to do with bleeds.

I think AP has bleed options in export dialog because it uses the same file format as AD and file format can carry bleed information with it. That is my guess.

Anyway, I have not been able to make AP generate working bleeds (and it is not its job either). It can generate extra "canvas" and printer's marks but bleeded image parts are clipped, not visible in bleed area. 

It is possible to fake bleed manually by making image bleed's worth larger and to place printer's marks manually, but I think you should use better tool for it.

I think AP has bleed options in export dialog because it uses the same file format as AD and file format can carry bleed information with it. That is my guess.

Thank you very much.

I hope the bleed options in export dialog will be removed or this feature will be supported soon.

Very confusing  :wacko:

• 1 year later...

Hmmm.. I have Photo and Designer, but I make a book cover in Photo only, because I have more photo editing tools, but no Bleed settings. I need switch to Designer only for settings bleed parameters. :S (Will better, if I can see bleed as in Publisher, but ok, will be in Publisher only.)

I need a bleed tab/settings to Photo too, and my life will simpliest.