You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am experiencing a lot of lag in both Designer and Photo. My main machine is running Windows 10 on an i7 3770K, 16GB of RAM and an AMD 390X OC with 8GB VRAM.

When comparing things like rotate, curve adjustment, scaling, perspective filter, etc. with Photoshop or Illustrator, I noticed a huge CPU spike on affinity to 100% together with some lagging fragments (squares in the selection that arent updated yet to the new configuration) while photoshop and illustrator could pull it off with smoother framerates as well as less CPU usage. It's like my 390X isn't used a lot in Affinity.

This is really breaks my workflow when I am working with multiple layers or bigger documents and I can't work precise anymore. I wonder if I am the only one that notices this? Is there something wrong with my pc build or software configuration or is this just how Affinity is supposed to be working?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for the response,

I tried clean boot, reïnstalling the application, changed the renderer​ from my R9 390X to WARP but that didn't do much.

I noticed the performance on the beta (1.5.2.56) is a bit better than the latest official release (1.5.1.43), so I hope performance will be increase further until the next official release.

Porting software from one OS to another is never easy (especially when GPU acceleration is needed), so it's normal that an advanced application such as Affinity Designer and Photo have some issues regarding performance right now.

I find it weird however that developers haven't acknowledged this issue yet, especially when there are other threads that are reporting unacceptable slowdowns for simple operations as well.

I find it weird however that developers haven't acknowledged this issue yet, especially when there are other threads that are reporting unacceptable slowdowns for simple operations as well.

I think they have, at least to some extent. But as they have mentioned, while there are relatively few hardware configurations on the Mac side they need to support, there are hundreds (perhaps thousands?) on the Windows side. That makes resolving issues with the Mac apps much easier than with the Windows ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've had similar experiences with the performance on my end. When running the task manager, I've noticed that the major work is done on the CPU and barely through the ram.  Since Affinity doesn't yet support a scratch disk, I'm also unable to boost the programs performance further.

My main work computer has the following components:

•  32GB of ram
  • 6 cores
  • M.2 SSD
  • 970 Graphics card 

I recently did a clean install of windows and although it happens a lot less, problems do still occur.  I'm sure that this is something that they're working on and I'm looking forwards to seeing these improvements in a future update. 

When running the task manager, I've noticed that the major work is done on the CPU and barely through the ram.  Since Affinity doesn't yet support a scratch disk, I'm also unable to boost the programs performance further.

The option of setting up a scratch disk (like Photoshop offers) is provided for when the app runs out of available RAM. It has no effect on performance if the app does not run out of RAM. It never increases performance because paging memory to a drive (SSD or mechanical) is always slower than keeping everything in RAM. It is useful when an app requires very large amounts of scratch space on a drive that does not have to provide scratch space for other processes at the same time.

Since Affinity is very memory efficient to begin with & optimized to read/write randomly to its temp files, there is no reason to provide a scratch disk option for it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There was someone in this thread https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33002-affinity-photo-15045-slow-and-crashes-often-on-windows-81/&page=2

Maybe Affinity is relying a lot on CUDA for hardware acceleration? As I have AMD systems only I cannot test this myself. It might be possible they are still porting to dx11 from metal or openGL (which takes time).

The problem is, at least for me, as the developers haven't commented on this in their roadmap, beta forums,... (at least not in my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong), we don't know if this issue will be persistent (should we change our hardware setup or wait for an update, or is this an issue that isn't under investigation atm).

Unfortunately, I don't think CUDA is the reason either, or at least not the main one.

My Nvidia card is relatively fast and yet I experience some frustrating lags, although I'm pretty sure about the reason in my case as I work on quite large documents (200-600 MB if not more sometimes).

That is why a while back I requested people stepping back on new features requests as that takes time on the dev side which could be used instead to improve stability and speed.

After a recent survey, though, it also seems clear my case is not so common as most of the responses in the survey show an average scenario dealing with smaller file size.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Unfortunately, I don't think CUDA is the reason either, or at least not the main one.

My Nvidia card is relatively fast and yet I experience some frustrating lags, although I'm pretty sure about the reason in my case as I work on quite large documents (200-600 MB if not more sometimes).

That is why a while back I requested people stepping back on new features requests as that takes time on the dev side which could be used instead to improve stability and speed.

After a recent survey, though, it also seems clear my case is not so common as most of the responses in the survey show an average scenario dealing with smaller file size.

what Nvidia GPU are you running at the moment? I tested photo on my friends pc (on a GTX 670 2GB I7 920 setup) and performance isn't an issue at all, while my much faster R9 390X 8GB I7 3770K setup is performing much worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Miserable miserable money costing slowdown.

Throw the computer across the room slow down.

Fresh, sweet clean total reinstall of Os X, but slower than my 86 year old Aunt Katie on a bender.

so the issue is also present on OSX? what hardware are you running it on at the moment

I would like to know that I am doing wrong. As for the settings of the preferences of Affinity photo. I have a PC of 16 gigabytes of ram, 3GHz processor of 4 cores. Radeon 1Gb graphics card. The disk of the operating system, only contains programs is 1TB and has 585 Gb free, the other disks have good free space. Use Tablet wacom. The tasks are very slow, paint on a layer mask, over a 10Mb image is too slow vs photoshop, where it is immediate.
I have the preferences tab by default.

Is too slow with high resolution images. With any settings in the performance tab. It works very fast in low resolution. It is strange that enabling the pressure control on the brush tool also affects the behavior of the mouse. PS does not happen

Don't forget, Affinity requires Microsoft Frame .NET for Windows users in order to run. That might have something to do with taking up more memory, but that wouldn't cause too much of an issue. The compatibility works differently for every program and depending on the OS that program is running on. I've used the Windows beta tests of Designer, and I've noticed that they were much slower than the Mac version. Designer takes about 4 seconds to launch on Mac whereas it would take about 15 on Windows. Affinity was once Mac exclusive, so part of the problem could be getting the compatibility to work appropriately on Windows. I think it might be a compatibility issue, and not a CPU or memory issue. 16GB ram is really good, and it's what I have too on my MacBook.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I would think the same, in terms of compatibility. I recently reinstalled windows 10 where Microsoft Frame .NET was updated to its latest version. It would be very good to know the opinion of the developers. Or some moderator. For the moment I will continue to know the program and working with images in low resolution. What moved me to acquire it are its characteristics with panoramic images in 360º. But it is practically impossible to handle those images, 16000 px wide and approximately 650 mb

• 2 weeks later...

It's not always easy to figure out where the issue comes from, but just because there is lack of communication does not mean the case is being ignored. As long as any bugs or concerns get out there, the cases will always be recorded. Affinity can be slow for many reasons, so there is not too much more to say. As I mentioned above, the Windows versions are a lot slower. It is probably just not yet fully stable.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It's not always easy to figure out where the issue comes from, but just because there is lack of communication does not mean the case is being ignored. As long as any bugs or concerns get out there, the cases will always be recorded. Affinity can be slow for many reasons, so there is not too much more to say. As I mentioned above, the Windows versions are a lot slower. It is probably just not yet fully stable.

I get that, but there are more forum posts that reported these issues, and eventhough I understand that ironing bugs and platform optimalisations take time, we didn't get a solid response that this serious issue is present and being investigated.

Instead, they seem to work on new features and other mac optimalisations like the touchbar. To the Windows user community, this does not give the feeling that they take their multiplatform strategy very serious, but is more like a slap in the face.

The least you can expect is a "we know the issue exists and are working on it" message.

The least you can expect is a "we know the issue exists and are working on it" message.

If you look through this forum, you will find quite a few posts from the staff acknowledging certain issues with the Windows versions, saying that the developers aware of them & working on fixes. Part of the reason they don't get fixed as quickly as one might like is the development team is small & there are many times more Windows hardware configurations to test than there are Mac ones.

Affinity Photo 

If you look through this forum, you will find quite a few posts from the staff acknowledging certain issues with the Windows versions, saying that the developers aware of them & working on fixes. Part of the reason they don't get fixed as quickly as one might like is the development team is small & there are many times more Windows hardware configurations to test than there are Mac ones.

I can agree on experience of facing so many compatibility issues with Windows software and drivers. Plus, Affinity isn't just another program. For the work it can do, it needs the compatibility to do it.