You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo: Divide blending mode

in these formulas i found is possible type even sin() function for these but i dont get any results with it. no error when i type sin small letters but with big letters i get i feel somehow works some way but dont yet understand how if someone knows please tell me.

Hi @MxHeppa

DR is Destination Red and SR is Source Red. Your Destination is the finished product (the selected Layer in your Layers panel), your Source is the Source image/layer which you choose in the dialog just check the Equations section after choosing a source.

DR Red

DG Green

DB Blue

DA Alpha

1623102545_ScreenShot2020-09-09at8_26_44AM.png.b8908d8c285c0397359eb5aee2f107cb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Hi @MxHeppa

DR is Destination Red and SR is Source Red. Your Destination is the finished product (the selected Layer in your Layers panel), your Source is the Source image/layer which you choose in the dialog just check the Equations section after choosing a source.

DR Red

DG Green

DB Blue

DA Alpha

1623102545_ScreenShot2020-09-09at8_26_44AM.png.b8908d8c285c0397359eb5aee2f107cb.png

i udnerstanded but i dont get anything what i expected when i use sin function even i modift formukla no different results). luckily max and min works and fixed values. even nlow allows really nice things but when i understand how i get things what i expected with sin makes things even wider what is possible.

Imo  this Apply image is totally useless  and monstrously  inconvenient to use.    It should be node  based  image processing window  allowing inputs from several layers and working  as savable live effect.   

I would love to see  Substance Designer  or Filter forge integration able to stay live and read from layer stack .   

• 3 weeks later...

For the record the new divide blend mode in Photo beta 1.9 works like a charm and as expected - here the sample image from the well known youtube video processed in both Photoshop and Photo:

sample.jpg.f599395c42a368d087e0e4db272b6c84.jpg

Another usability hint/issue, Serif: "The new fill layer" feature hidden in the menu should also be accessible from the layers panel:

image.png.24bc944c294bd7b960a7fe45ded8b38d.png

Had - once again - to google the answer.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 hours ago, Jowday said:

Had - once again - to google

You didn't have to Google. You could have simply looked in the menu. The menus are there for a purpose, and since one of them is named "Layer" it's a natural place to look for layer-related functions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

For the record the new divide blend mode in Photo beta 1.9 works like a charm and as expected - here the sample image from the well known youtube video processed in both Photoshop and Photo:

sample.jpg.f599395c42a368d087e0e4db272b6c84.jpg

Another usability hint/issue, Serif: "The new fill layer" feature hidden in the menu should also be accessible from the layers panel:

image.png.24bc944c294bd7b960a7fe45ded8b38d.png

Had - once again - to google the answer.

New Fill Layer is not that hard to find. However, I also have suggested that New Fill Layer should be a button at the bottom of the Layers panel as well as adding it as an operator in the R click menu the same way as the New Pixel Layer operator. This feature is so darn useful (imo I think that fill layers in Photo are better than the ones in Photoshop), so it is just a shame that it has to be hidden away in the top menu when it should be always available directly in the Layers panel.

6 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

New Fill Layer is not that hard to find. However, I also have suggested that New Fill Layer should be a button at the bottom of the Layers panel as well as adding it as an operator in the R click menu the same way as the New Pixel Layer operator. This feature is so darn useful (imo I think that fill layers in Photo are better than the ones in Photoshop), so it is just a shame that it has to be hidden away in the top menu when it should be always available directly in the Layers panel.

Yep but I Google user experiemce too; is it there, is it good, any caveats? Time is precious.

In the Photoshop layers panel the solid colour layer is the first option. The feature is that useful and popular in so many professional workflows.

As I Said before: plenty of UX work in Affinity.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You didn't have to Google. You could have simply looked in the menu. The menus are there for a purpose, and since one of them is named "Layer" it's a natural place to look for layer-related functions.

The 90’s are over, Walt, and that is the most annoying, time consuming method. I Google user experiemce too; is it there, is it good, any caveats? Time is precious.

4 hours ago, Jowday said:

Yep but I Google user experiemce too; is it there, is it good, any caveats? Time is precious.

In the Photoshop layers panel the solid colour layer is the first option. The feature is that useful and popular in so many professional workflows.

As I Said before: plenty of UX work in Affinity.

Well, I said I agree. We just need to bring these issues to the devs and over time Affinity will become more fluid in terms of workflow. I have at least got a lot more positive towards working with Affinity with 1.7 and 1.8 addressing some really serious problem areas, especially in regards to Photo. 1.9 is already looking really promising, but I will keep pushing for certain UX design improvements during the feedback session.

That said, a workaround I found regarding fill layers was adding it as a keyboard shortcut and as a regular asset. Not exactly ideal, but it works for now. I feel like things are flowing much better after I jumped into the keymap and explored what kind of shortcuts I needed the most. From my artist point of view I think Photo is like 90-95% there with the missing pieces being mostly bugs and little annoyances like the fill layers problem.

• 3 months later...

I bought Photo as a Photoshop replacement and made a fool of myself once, when a got a PSD from a colleague and told him he sent me an unfinished version. Until I realized he was using the Divide blending mode, which Affinity Photo doesn't process. I understand that the software doesn't pretend to be Photoshop and, I suppose, doesn't provide any sort of guarantee to be 100% compatible with Photoshop. It become popular via some of its user base as a replacement to Photoshop and since it exported and opened PSD files I thought - maybe naively - that that would be the case. I mean, I didn't expect it to be 100% like Photoshop, feature-wise, I just didn't expect it wouldn't open properly some PSD files.

I hope it would be possible for this and other blend modes to be introduced for compatibility issues, otherwise for some people it can't be a complete Photoshop replacement. That said, I should add that I'm not exactly disappointed with the software, considering its features, ease of use, and price, and I don't expect to face many situations such as the one I mentioned. Besides adding my +1 to this thread I also wanted to add another user perspective, which is not "how to make this" in Affinity Photo, but the compatibility issue - "I can't open all PSD files in Affinity Photo".

Meanwhile, it would be great if some sort of warning could be added, such as, "some layers of this file cannot be displayed properly" or "this file contains a blending mode that cannot be displayed".

Hello @lcanau, and welcome to the forums.

The new Beta 1.9 does include the Divide blending mode. Please be aware though that you should not use a beta for critical application. The .aphoto file saved by the beta may not be comparible with the current 1.8 version.  See the post on the new beta here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630