You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line segment selection/deletion?

1. Is there anyway to select a line segment between two points?

2. Is there a way to delete a line segment without deleting the entire shape?

Note: I find it really annoying that whenever I click on a segment with the node tool, it creates a point instead of selecting it. I think this should be the behavior when clicking with a modifier key or at the very least as a user defined preference.

1. You can only select an entire curve. If you want to select a segment between two nodes, you firstly have to break the curve at each of those nodes.

2. With the Node Tool active, select the node at one end of the line segment and click on the 'Break Curve' icon on the Context toolbar. Repeat with the node at the other end, and then select the newly isolated line segment and press the Delete key on your keyboard.

If you want to select a curve by clicking on it, use the Move Tool. Clicking on a node with the Node Tool selects that node; clicking and dragging between two nodes reshapes that part of the curve. I can't think of any reason why you would choose the Node Tool and click between two nodes (without dragging) if you didn't want to add a new node.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Note: I find it really annoying that whenever I click on a segment with the node tool, it creates a point instead of selecting it. I think this should be the behavior when clicking with a modifier key or at the very least as a user defined preference.

There is (currently) no way to select a segment, only nodes. Because of that, there is no reason to have an option not to create a new node.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

The lack of individual line segment selection extremely slowed me down. Can we request this feature to be included ASAP?

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

On 1/7/2017 at 5:17 PM, Alfred said:

I can't think of any reason why you would choose the Node Tool and click between two nodes (without dragging) if you didn't want to add a new node.

I'm several months late to this thread, but I would add that CorelDRAW, as one example, lets you deform the curve between nodes with the node tool (essentially solving for simultaneous changes to the handles of the nearby nodes).  If you want to add a node on the curve, in CD it is a double-click, not a single-click.  So you don't accidently get one thing when you intended the other.

15 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

I'm several months late to this thread, but I would add that CorelDRAW, as one example, lets you deform the curve between nodes with the node tool (essentially solving for simultaneous changes to the handles of the nearby nodes). 

You can do the same thing with the Affinity Node Tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, jenninexus said:

How do u select the isolated segment? I keep grabbing the whole thing even after breaking it w/ more nodes. Thanks :)

Click away to deselect everything first, and then select the segment you want to delete. Alternatively, go to the Layers panel and select the target segment there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Click away to deselect everything first, and then select the segment you want to delete. Alternatively, go to the Layers panel and select the target segment there.

Ok thanks so much. Just found the Break curve button at the top too 😅 I appreciate the response tryin to learn as much as I can.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have a new problem to this deleting line segment question and I was wondering whether anyone could help me:

I'm trying to use affinity designer for a floor plan of a building and I've created a rectangular box. To represent the thickness of the outside walls, I have implemented a solid line style around the outside of the box and pushed line alignment to the outside. I want to cut a line segment out of the side of the box so I can make room for the doors, however, when I convert to curves and then try and break the curves with the node tool, the line alignment jumps back to the centre (see before and after pictures) - any help solving this problem?

It's important for the line to be aligned to the outside as measurements and dimension were taken from the inside. 

Many thanks

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 12.43.54.png

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 12.44.20.png

Edited by CdV

Welcome to the forums @CdV

I think the stroke ‘jumps’ to centred because there is no ‘inside’ or ‘outside’ for a non-closed curve.
It could be argued – philosophically, I suppose – that either ‘side’ of the curve could be the inside or outside depending on the point of view of either the curve or whatever is not the curve, or something like that.

How is your grid set-up in relation to your drawing? If they are set-up nicely together you could put a white rectangle over the bit of the wall where you want the gap, see attached image. It’s not a perfect solution by any means but it’s simple. (Depending on your Snapping set-up you might not even need to use the grid.)

Annotation 2020-09-02 142521.png

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @CdV

I think the stroke ‘jumps’ to centred because there is no ‘inside’ or ‘outside’ for a non-closed curve.
It could be argued – philosophically, I suppose – that either ‘side’ of the curve could be the inside or outside depending on the point of view of either the curve or whatever is not the curve, or something like that.

How is your grid set-up in relation to your drawing? If they are set-up nicely together you could put a white rectangle over the bit of the wall where you want the gap, see attached image. It’s not a perfect solution by any means but it’s simple. (Depending on your Snapping set-up you might not even need to use the grid.)

Annotation 2020-09-02 142521.png

Thank you for the warm welcome @GarryP and that's an incredibly super easy solution to the problem - much appreciated! Hopefully more time spent using Affinity will help me understand its ways better.

Many thanks