You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SOLVED] 1.5.51 New Adjustment Layers issue

I asked this in the comments for the new beta. I'm repeating the question here as I know sometimes questions can go unnoticed.

In the latest beta, any new adjustment layer created gets nested within the selected layer. In the previous versions, the adjustment was created on top of the selected layer. I think the way it worked before was much better. Most likely, I want the adjustment on top of the layer stack, rather than nested within the selected layer.

Is there a particular reason for this new behavior or is it a bug case?

Best,

Andrew

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

It looks like you can make the change in the "Assistant Manager" (the thing just right of center on the tool bar that looks like an exclamation point to me). If you click on that in the Assistant dialog you will see "Adding adjustment layer to selection: Add adjustment as child layer" is what the setting was when they dropped this beta.  You can change that to "Add adjustment as a new layer" and that will be just like it was in previous releases.  I think when they did the drop they forgot to change this setting. 

Great! thx Marvin, I had the same issue!
It's great to see these things have options ... they are just not where you'd expect them ... Why is an assistant required for things I'd search for in the preferences? (Affinity staff: any sensible explanation for that) ... I do love the KISS (keep it simple stupid) concept ... The assistant simply is another panel for settings or preferences. Why not put it there? (Or please correct me if I have not understood the concept?)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I probably should start another thread, but since we are here...

Changing the settings in the Assistant Manager did the trick, only now it doesn't store the new setting.

In other words, every time I open Photo I have to change the setting again.

Is there another setting somewhere, or is this a bug?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Doesn't help the original question but I watched a tutorial video last night that explained that adjustment layers placed under is more efficient than stacking above which is more process intensive. Maybe that's why that default was chosen.

Also looks like preferences are global to the application and the assistant is per image, which would explain the split.

Arg, same here, assistant options are not saved between sessions. And agree with previous answer, these settings should be in preferences, and of course remain between sessions. All global settings like this should be saved and stay. Or we will heavily need a python API with some startup script that set all our environment  B) 

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

Doesn't help the original question but I watched a tutorial video last night that explained that adjustment layers placed under is more efficient than stacking above which is more process intensive. Maybe that's why that default was chosen.

Also looks like preferences are global to the application and the assistant is per image, which would explain the split.

Thanks for the explanation.

I can understand the efficiency workaround, that said most of the time the adjustment layers are meant to affect what's under them, not just one layer.

In my experience, most likely I'm creating an adjustment to affect the whole comp than just one single layer. That doesn't mean I don't add adjustment to single layers, but that's exactly where the nesting comes into play.

In other words, if it's been done because of an efficiency issue I only hope it's temporary as the efficiency has to be fixed first, not worked around.

Andrew
-

Can't disagree with you there!

As a photographer I'm using AP as a finishing tool so I don't tend to have a lot of layers, I also stack above, was just trying to provide a feasable explanation.

Regards

Oh totally,

Hope didn't sound I was reacting to your explanation :)

Andrew
-

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.