I'm running Affinity Designer 1.5.1.43 on Windows 10 and it is freezing up constantly. About once per minute it'll freeze for maybe 3-4 seconds and then everything goes back to normal. When it freezes Designer will use about 50% of the CPU capacity for the duration of the freeze. I would assume my computer's CPU simply isn't powerful enough, but Designer regularly uses up to 90% of the CPU capacity with no problems. Also this was never a problem before (same computer, same files). It's been about a month since I last used Designer. This problem started last week when I opened it up and updated to the latest version.

System specs:

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz dual core

8GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

256GB SSD

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Yep, having the same trouble and it's making it unusable for me right now as practically every change I make is freezing up the prog for a few seconds at a time. 

I'm on a surface 3 with 8gb ram/2.3ghz processor/Win 10. Affinity Designer version 1.5.1.43

I know my machine is the most powerful but on a file with only 7 artboards and not that many layers on each I wouldn't expect dragging a shape or moving some text on one artboard to freeze it up for a couple of seconds each time. 

Cheers,

James.

Hi guys,

Can you both try doing a quick reset on the app. If you have any keyboard shortcuts or user settings you wish to backup, see this video. Once you have done that, can you restart the app with the Ctrl key held down and click Clear when prompted. 

If it doesn't improve, we can look at something else. 

Hi!

Same problem here. I've been using it the past month a lot and I love it, but today is "thinking" all the time. The last one before coming here, I had to force the out. The only different thing I did today, is add several work spaces to my document, and buy the new Affinity photo. :D 

The problem has begun working on text. By default it appears with a weird background, when I went to put it out, all get frozen. 

I have done what you said, at the moment it works. 

I have done what you said, at the moment it works. 

Welcome to the Affinity Forums Timone :)

Hopefully this will resolve the issue on a permanent basis. I'd be interested to hear from the other guys how they got on as well.

I'd be interested to hear from the other guys how they got on as well.

Chris, thanks for your suggestion. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I will do so this evening and let you know how it goes.

First of all, I'm sorry it was my first post, and now I can see that this part of the forum is for windows users, I'm a mac user, but with the same problem, hope you don't mind. Today I have had the same problem again, Affinity Designer crashed again, and today I'm not working with text. It appears the spinning ball when I went to select multiple layers at the same time. I have had to force the closure of the program. :(

Hey Timone,

Are you on release or beta? Ideally we need to split your posts into a new thread so we can support you correctly. I will say crashes are expected now and then but what you described in your recent post sounds like a crash as opposed to the original topic discussion of regular freezing without the app crashing.

'Yep, having the same trouble and it's making it unusable for me right now as practically every change I make is freezing up the prog for a few seconds at a time.'

I am having the same problems here, running on Windows 10 latest updates, I7 with 32GB ram and PCI Express HDD. I hope this will gets fixed soon...

Hi!

I have the same problem (Windows 10. It starts when I try to change the font of an existing text. Additionally I had a problem concerning PDF export. The letter spacing was different - even in PDF X 1.3 or PDF X 3. All characters were very narrow. Had to export via eps and extract a PDF with Illustrator.

Hi First Post here. 

I've been loving Affinity Designer but I'm also getting the freezing issue. I tried a reset of everything as suggested (using ctrl at startup) and that works to some extent. Eventually it gets to the point where it freezes and a not responding message flashes up at the top of the window, then it goes back to working for a few seconds then freezes again. After the reset the time before freezes seems to be longer but I can only see it gradually getting worse.

I'm trying to replace Illustrator and thought I could (I have managed to since I bought Affinity Designer once it came out of Beta) but this is causing my work to become painfully slow so I may have to go back to illustrator temporarily :(. The issue mainly occurs with website layouts with multiple artboards and a number of images in the document, but once the issue occurs it then seems to affect smaller documents too.

I am running the full non beta version - 1.5.2.58

My Computer specs are:

Intel i5-6400 (with intel integratedHD 530 graphics chip), 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 1TB HD running 64bit Windows 10 home edition

I really hope you can find a solution soon!

Kind Regards

Richard

Have same problem... with 64G RAM, 16core intel processor, M2 SSD, radeon pro duo, win 10 designer freezes constantly for 3-5s, then 10s working fine, repeat. Have full version,  1.5.2.58 , cant say from when it started, i started to work with designer a lot few weeks ago. Clear didnt work. Any thoughts?

Have same problem... with 64G RAM, 16core intel processor, M2 SSD, radeon pro duo, win 10 designer freezes constantly for 3-5s, then 10s working fine, repeat. Have full version,  1.5.2.58 , cant say from when it started, i started to work with designer a lot few weeks ago. Clear didnt work. Any thoughts?

If Clear didn't work with only the default checkboxes checked (I think it's the first three) try pressing 'Select All' before pressing 'Clear'.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hello everybody, 

I have the same problem as all guys above .. this is making the whole app unusable I can barely do anything. It's related to the complexity of the document. The more objects or unique big images the worse. Looks like something is updating but it's totally not obvious what it is. I tried to mess up with performance settings a little bit but no change. 

I am using 1.5.2.58 version on Windows 10 .. I have AMD GPU R9 390 it have 8GB of VRAM. Newest drivers and updates .. 

I have this problems from the times it was just a beta .. This is purchased current version. 

I have mentioned this issues couple of times on this forum (but different threads) I didn't described it as freezing rather than a huge lag and also didn't get any response from developers so I guess it's a known bug or just hard to reproduce so nobody want's to fix it :) 

It happens very randomly frequently and it takes up to 10 seconds to unfreeze maybe even more. 

It is always triggered with some action .. selecting, zooming, dragging.

I think it doesn't happen when working in the UI panels .. happens only when working on the canvas with objects using mouse. 

The only solution that I know of is to reduce heavy content to minimum. Maybe to make a copy of the part of the document work on the separate document and then paste back .. 

Developers please fix this problem .. this is a A critical bug. It happens in all my documents. 

Best Regards,

Andrej

Any news regarding this problem, developers? In larger projects its starting to be a dramatic problem using designer :( This is really critical bug in my eyes.

I am Waiting for any response of developers. So many topics here reports it and no answers. Only reset settings. (Doesn't help). The work is painfully slow - when I work on any job, there is no time to wait 5 sec. because of simple change of font or edit text frame. Sometimes I have to edit hundreds of text frames. Performance of default brushes are extremely slow also in new documents and its similar with photo and designer. Preview of brush in large project cause few seconds lags. I don t use custom brushes. All default settings. If affinity want to concurate to adobe photoshop or illustrator, there is no place for these performance issues and lacks of fundamental features as selection filter etc. it's unusable for serious fast work with complex vector files as raster images so. I like concept and layout. It's really nice. I love it. but More important is effective using of machine and mainly realtime response of software. Especially with painting and retouching. I tried it on more computers, Asus gog, Lenovo ideapad z510, table pc with windows 10 pro 16gb ram and 4 cores i5 sandy bridge with two gtx640 and ssd system disk... we are in 21th century. I don't understand, where is the problem... realtime rendering with 60 fps... no way. I'm sure that more people will want better performance than light ui.

Yes, its sad that Serif does not care about such critical bug for so long.
Im starting to think, that Serif just does not care about their customers. You payed? ok. bye. Oh well, wait, you can pay more for iPad version! 

This does not work that way guys :( ...

Very usefull post Theppitak... Im not talking about loving it / hating it, but about care about customers, that payed and have problems with the product. Problem that lasts for months.

I'm also having these performance /lag issues with Designer (full updated version) the Affinity Photo is fine. It does seem to be an issue of file complexity and layers. And seems to get worse again after I start exporting PDFs.   Your fix improves performance for a single file, but found I have had to reset each time I open or create a new file  

Hi mods,

I have same problem with designer, constantly freezing and program runing little bit slowly.  It is very frustruating. But Designer is great tool, so i hope you will fix it soon. 

I have newest win10 and affinity, AMD FX-8370, MSI R9 390, 32gb ddr3, SSD. Affinity files is include images so files have about 30-300mb.

Thank you for your time

Juraj