arangast

[AP] Auto-lens correction softness

Hi, I've come across an issue with the automatic lens correction in Develop Persona.

I was testing out the new Fuji RAW converter for windows from the creator of Iridient Developer on an old file, and when I opened the same RAW in AP it was really really soft in comparison to ID and RawTherapee, and no amount of sharpening/clarity in Develop or Photo could get it close.

After a lot of messing about I discovered it was caused by the auto-lens corrections applied by the Assistant.  If I opened the RAW with it disabled and manually corrected the distortion with the sliders then AP produced the same amount of sharpness and detail as the other two (which is great by the way!).

The lens used in this image is the Fuji XC 16-50mm which has quite a lot of distortion.  

I've attached some 100% crop examples; the ID version used "max" sharpening, the AP versions used 10% radius with 100% amount + 1% clarity.  I can also provide the RAW if that would be useful.

There's also one more thing you'll notice in this image - the grass colours are different between AP and ID/RT.  I don't think it's white balance as I couldn't correct that way.  I was able to match it to the others by applying a small hue shift to the yellows via HSL adjustment.  I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other but thought I'd point it out - are such differences between converters normal?

Cheers!

post-47917-0-24131700-1483780170_thumb.jpg

post-47917-0-11419300-1483780556_thumb.jpg

post-47917-0-46112600-1483780562_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately my RAW file is larger than the 20MB attachment limit, even when zipped.  I've put it on google drive here which I hope you can access: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-qQFVsKcUbeU03WVB2TExQWlE

After further testing the loss of sharpness is happening across all my RAW files regardless of lens used and is significantly better with the auto-correction disabled.

Repro steps:

• Open RAW with lens correction enabled
  • Enable sharpening: 10% radius, 100% amount
  • Observe softness at 100% zoom
  • Turn off lens correction in assistant and open RAW again
  • Optionally set distortion correction to -13% and scale to 107%
  • Enable sharpening: 10% radius, 100% amount
  • Compare at 100%, the image has lots more detail and sharpness.

I've just seen on your latest beta release there was a bug fix related to lens corrections - I'll give that a go in the next couple of days to see if it makes a difference.

Cheers.

Hi, I am new in the AP. However, despite Sean's hope it is still bad - the RAW file is mach more "softer" or "unsharp" than JPG. I loaded the RAW not only into the AP Develop but also in IrfanView and Adobe Photoshop Eelements. The picture is much sharper in later two. 

What do do? 

(I am on Oly OM-D EM10 II, using the newest beta 1.5.1.51)

Thanks Sean, I can confirm the problem is much improved in the beta - I now get identical results on the file I provided.

I tried a RAW using a different lens however (Fuji XF 35mm) and whilst it was better than before it's still not quite as sharp as with corrections disabled.  The weird thing is there is quite obviously a small amount of distortion correction applied however that lens is optically correct and shouldn't need any.  The difference is small but still there, here's an example: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-qQFVsKcUbelpNQ1VkR0JjRlU

Simply open it with and without corrections enabled zoom to 100% and apply the same sharpening as before (radius 10%, amount 100%).

Hi, I am new in the AP. However, despite Sean's hope it is still bad - the RAW file is mach more "softer" or "unsharp" than JPG. I loaded the RAW not only into the AP Develop but also in IrfanView and Adobe Photoshop Eelements. The picture is much sharper in later two. 

What do do? 

(I am on Oly OM-D EM10 II, using the newest beta 1.5.1.51)

Could you attach a RAW file that is suffering the same problem and also some screenshots comparing the same area of the RAW file in Photo, IrfanVew and PS Elements?

Thanks Sean, I can confirm the problem is much improved in the beta - I now get identical results on the file I provided.

I tried a RAW using a different lens however (Fuji XF 35mm) and whilst it was better than before it's still not quite as sharp as with corrections disabled.  The weird thing is there is quite obviously a small amount of distortion correction applied however that lens is optically correct and shouldn't need any.  The difference is small but still there, here's an example: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-qQFVsKcUbelpNQ1VkR0JjRlU

Simply open it with and without corrections enabled zoom to 100% and apply the same sharpening as before (radius 10%, amount 100%).

Hi arangast,

I've reproduced it with that file so I'll get it passed on to development.

For Lens Correction we use the data from Lens Fun and looking at their list they do actually mention they have correction data for the Fuji XF 35mm lens.

Thanks again for following up.  Actually I've noticed that Fuji's RAW File Converter also applies a small amount of correction too.  I have another file with the same lens where the difference is more pronounced (a beard goes quite blurry) but it contains family members and I'd rather not share it publicly.

Cheers.