You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Media Browser for Affinity Photo (Windows)

Hi,
I have a question, why is there for the Affinity Photo Version 1.5 for Windows neither the menu point of the "Media Browser" nor the "read the image," to read a picture of a scanner? In the version for Apple are these points, as I learned from a video training, so why not in the Windows version?
As a second question, which image browser can recommend to me, which can read the file "afphoto" and also can represent. So far, I have unfortunately found none.
As an improvement suggestion: Would it be possible in the next versions, similar to the Photoshop, with Alt and right mouse button the tool size and hardness directly in the picture to adjust? This would be a great relief, not only for me.
I hope you can read and understand my text, I have it translated by the Google translator because my English is not perfect.
Many greetings, Dieter

The media browser and also the read the image function are part of OS X/macOS. So Serif has not writen these functions and only uses the capabilitys of the operating system.

In the Mac version you already can change brush size and hardness with ctrl+alt+right mouse button, so i hope it works in the windows version, too. Maybe with another shortcut...

I thank you for your reply.
It is a pity that for Windows users there is no way to get an image browser similar to the Bridge in Photoshop. I can then just save my pictures for further processing in PSD. Since not all Photoshop plugins can be integrated into Affinity Photo, I'm still dependent on CS6.

With the setting of the tool tips with the Windows version directly in the picture, has now been clarified. Press the Ctrl + Alt + keys simultaneously and the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously, while dragging the mouse to the left or right changes the size, pushing upwards or downwards changes the hardness.

I hope that there will soon be an image browser for the Windows version, otherwise the Affinity file format for me completely senseless. I would not want to save any additional JPG file, so I know which afphoto file is.
Many greetings, Dieter

I hope that there will soon be an image browser for the Windows version, otherwise the Affinity file format for me completely senseless. I would not want to save any additional JPG file, so I know which afphoto file is.

I am not a Windows user so I cannot provide any details, but according to this recent topic, with the correct settings Windows Explorer will show afphoto thumbnail previews.

That seems to be very similar to several of the Mac Finder's file view options. That is what I use 99% of the time to browse through my Affinity files looking for ones I want to open. The only time I use the Media Browser is when I want to open a file stored in the Apple Photos app's library (since those files can't be opened directly from Finder). If you are not using a Mac then obviously, that would be of no use to you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@DidiS, as R C-R has said and is confirmed in the thread he linked to, Affinity Photo thumbnails can and do appear in Windows File Explorer.

You will need to ensure you follow Lee's advice in that linked thread (about type and displayed thumbnail size) and that in Preferences>General "Save thumbnails with documents" is ticked.  (I have AP and AD running under Win 10 Pro and can see thumbnails for all my Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer files.)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I thank you,
It works even in Windows 7, I only have the option to set icons in Windows Explorer, then the AP files are displayed there as thumbnail. For Photoshop it is always more comfortable, there I have either the Bridge or Lightroom for the picture selection available. Even any freeware image browser can read almost any image format, just not the one from AP. I hope that this will change soon.
One more question: Does it last with you also until a Raw file in AP has opened, my camera is a Sony A99V? In CS6 I click on the same file and it is loaded. With an Intel i7, 16GB memory and the programs on a Sandisk SSD, my computer is not exactly the slowest. Partially, I have in AP already consider whether I have chosen the file at all, but after a felt minute it is finally loaded.
Dieter

I hope it is not too complicated to understand my Google translation. :)