You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Flaming Pear Plugins in Affinity Photo

I have run tests with the Flaming Pear plugins: Super Blade Pro, Flood, Glitterato, Lunar Cell and Solar Cell. Although they do not work correctly right out of the box, all but one of these Flaming Pear Plugins can be run successfully in the Windows version of Affinity Photo 1.5.0.45 with a workaround. 

1. When run within Affinity Photo, the preview window for Flaming Pear plugins splits the image into irregular segments, making it useless for assessment of the way the rendering will look when sent back to AF. However, the preview can be made to render properly if the active layer in AF is selected with the Retangular Marquee Tool before calling the plugin. This works for Flood, Glitterato, Lunar Cell and Solar Cell because they are designed as global applications for a layer. However, Super Blade Pro is usually applied to a local selection; thus you're stuck with a hit-and-miss approach to finding your desired plugin setting for that app. 

2. Each Flaming Pear plugin comes with a library of presets (in a subfolder for the preset) which can be randomized in the plugin control panel. You may have to manually point the plugin to the subfolder when this is first run. 

IMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64GB memory. macOS 13.4.1

I tried Flood and it does indeed work with your selection work-around. Thanks! However, Super Blade Pro won't run for me under any circumstances. Nothing happens and I have to use Task Manager to kill Affinity to get out (if I don't, eventually the system says that it is not responding and kills it). This is even if I select the entire layer or a portion of it with the selection tool (the layer is an unlocked duplicate). :(

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

@frankster69 Do you think you could walk me through how you got Flexify 2 to work? I'm trying to dump photoshop for this exact same reason.

When I use the marquee select tool on my layer and then access flexify from Affinity, no preview window pops up. I'm a bit dumbfounded. Do you have discord? Would love to pick your brain if possible.

Thank you so much!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

unfortunately, the workaround isn't functional for 1.10 in combination with the latest Flood 2.08 or Flexify 2.982.

• Mostly transparent and mangled preview (see screenshot Flood2_interface)
  • Results are somehow overlayed with grid-like structures (see enlarged clip Flood2_result)

May I suggest to have a developers' meeting with the Flaming Pear people to address the interface problem?

I'm optimistic they would be able adopt their plugins quite fast then.

BR

AC

Flood2_preview_2021-08-08_105749.jpg

Flood2_result_2021-08-08_105516.jpg