You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text to curves node manipulation

In Draw Plus I used to be able to do some image manipulation from text converted to curves. (Unfortunately I cannot upload an example as it will not open with Affinity.)

The steps were:

1. insert image 
  2. add art text above image
  3. select both and crop to shape
  4. convert to curves
  5. with node tool pull the curves around.

This left a graphic which could be manipulated in such a way that curves could be pulled around. Where the outside edge of the letter was pulled across the flood colour was pulled across. If the edge was pulled over one of the other letters, the coloured area of the second letter would go white, and if you continued pulling past the letter, colour would appear again. 

So far, I am unable to do this with Affinity. The closest I have come is to do the above steps 1 and 2, then to Mask to below. The letters are then filled with the image below, and can be converted to curves, but the behaviour at this point does not replicate that of Draw Plus. The edges can be pulled out, but the interaction with the other letters, specifically the white where another letter is crossed, does not occur. I've tried 

Please can anyone help? I use this design tool a lot in graphics.

Many thanks.

Jerry

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Jerry. :)

I'm sorry I missed this thread last week, and I'm sorry no one else has replied in the meantime.

In Draw Plus I used to be able to do some image manipulation from text converted to curves. (Unfortunately I cannot upload an example as it will not open with Affinity.)

The steps were:

1. insert image 
  2. add art text above image
  3. select both and crop to shape
  4. convert to curves
  5. with node tool pull the curves around.

This left a graphic which could be manipulated in such a way that curves could be pulled around. Where the outside edge of the letter was pulled across the flood colour was pulled across. If the edge was pulled over one of the other letters, the coloured area of the second letter would go white, and if you continued pulling past the letter, colour would appear again. 

When I tried your steps in DPX8, I got a cropped object which didn't have nodes that I could pull around with the Node Tool. I had to convert the text to curves first, and then 'add' the curves to create a single polycurve which I could use as a cropping object.

So far, I am unable to do this with Affinity. The closest I have come is to do the above steps 1 and 2, then to Mask to below. The letters are then filled with the image below, and can be converted to curves, but the behaviour at this point does not replicate that of Draw Plus. The edges can be pulled out, but the interaction with the other letters, specifically the white where another letter is crossed, does not occur. I've tried 

Please can anyone help? I use this design tool a lot in graphics.

Try the same as I described above: select the art text in the Layers panel, press Ctrl+Enter to convert it to a group of curves, press Ctrl+Shift+G to ungroup it and then click on the 'Add' icon on the Geometry toolbar. Now when you 'Mask to Below' you will get a 'Curves' object (i.e. a polycurve) with nodes that you can manipulate as you're used to doing in DrawPlus.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)