You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I paste an image while preserving its transparency?

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

Yup, it's dutch and it is indeed @R C-R 's avatar😉

Sorry for mistaking it as German, but is it actually a functional URL?

When I put a link to my avatar on the clipboard on my Mac, what I get is https://forum.affinity.serif.com/uploads/monthly_2020_04/584305113_Farnsworthmaskx.thumb.png.2287a2581c43ca607e1d47b9a9632124.png

So aside from the missing https part, there is no "[1]" at the end. If I paste the entire URL into a browser on my Mac with the "[1]" part added like below, I get a 404 File Not Found error.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/uploads/monthly_2020_04/584305113_Farnsworthmaskx.thumb.png.2287a2581c43ca607e1d47b9a9632124[1].png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@haakoo, thanks for posting that gif but between my lack of understanding of the Dutch language & the inability to stop the gif to get a better look at what you are selecting, I can't tell what you are doing very well. 

But regardless, it is enough to see that there is no similar place in the Mac dialog window to paste a URL.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

No matter what I try, I can't get an image from the internet into Affinity Design with a transparent background. I have macOS, and use Chrome browser. Here is what I have tried:

1. Right click on image in browser (with checkered background, and PNG format), copy, open affinity, paste in document.

2. Save image from browser to my computer (in PNG format) and uploading into Affinity using the Image upload button.

3. Copy/paste the PNG from my own desktop.

4. Save it to Apple photos, and upload to Affinity through that.

I tried the suggestions above, I just think I am missing one key piece.....

1 hour ago, HALPme said:

I tried the suggestions above, I just think I am missing one key piece.....

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you use File > Document Setup... in Designer and look at the Color tab, do you have the Transparent Background option enabled? If not, does enabling it help?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Excellent question. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ronanski said:

I have this problem with pasting into affinity designer, and i am on a mac. But it creates a white background rather than black. In the attached file the white background doesn't exist, but has been created by affinity designer when pasted... :( 

What was your source for the image that you pasted into your .afdesign document?

-- Walt
PC:

I can confirm. Affinity Photo, Publisher and Designer do not respect transparency when copy-pasting from Photoshop. On the other hand, when I copy-paste from Acorn to Affinity transparency is preserved. And when I copy-paste from PS to Acorn transparency disappears again. So it seems it is a PS problem here.

• 7 months later...

I am not able to copy from or to Affinity Photo preserving transparency. This is clearly a bug in Affinity Photo for Windows. I create an image in affinity and try to paste it in Figma and it gets a grey backdrop, when I copy transparency into Photo it gets a black backdrop.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 10 months later...

In 2022, I'm able to copy from the drawing app of my choice (TVPaint), and then paste it into a video game sprite editor called Aseprite, and immediately cut it and then paste it into Affinity Designer. There's something that Aseprite does to the clipboard transparency when I 'bounce' it off of Aseprite that makes it compatible with Affinity Designer.

Well, I guess since Aseprite has a puny memory footprint I can just leave it running in the background and bounce stuff off of it.

Modern problems require modern solutions.

So, try out pasting transparent objects from all your image editing programs and see if there are any that CAN paste transparent objects directly into your Affinity programs. Once you find an app that can do this, you can then use it as a "clipboard bouncing app" to tide you over until something less janky can be found.

Edited by moatdd