You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save as ai or cdr extension?

I'm not sure if there is anybody who asked this before, but i just wanna know why we can't save as or export to .ai or .cdr or maybe other extension instead of affinity file? Is it because of something like copyright (?) limitation or will it be a new feature in the future? Thanks

Basically Serif does not know how as .ai and .cdr are proprietary formats with no public documentation. I think though that it should be possible to use older .ai formats as they are based in postscript and available in other third party apps too.

Wish to get some kind of .ai export at some time, please...

Basically Serif does not know how as .ai and .cdr are proprietary formats with no public documentation.

The .ai and .cdr formats are private/proprietary. They are also not documented as Fixx pointed out.

Export to AI format is not possible because it is a proprietary format with no public documentation. I used to think the same about import from CDR format, but I found out a few weeks ago that this is not the case. However, I don't know whether the ability to import CDR files would necessarily mean that exporting to that format is reasonably straightforward.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

CDR was originally a closed/proprietary format. There's no public spec. I believe what Matt is referring to is to reverse-engineering it to be able to import its data into Affinity something that was already tried before by the sk1 team. As there's no public documentation i don't believe we are able to export it but i may be wrong here.

CDR was originally a closed/proprietary format. There's no public spec. I believe what Matt is referring to is to reverse-engineering it to be able to import its data into Affinity something that was already tried before by the sk1 team. As there's no public documentation i don't believe we are able to export it but i may be wrong here.

So, it's like closed source and there's no chance (or maybe there's a little) to be a future feature for affinity designer? aw :(

If it can be engineered to import, it can be engineered to export.

Mike

I trying do open/import .CDR file and is not possible. Get some research and found possible to open and save in opensource Inkspace would be nice to import in AD if they can why you are not? ;) . I don't expect to import very complex images from CDR but some compatibility, would be a great improvements.

Affinity Designer, Publisher and Photo | v1 - v2 

I trying do open/import .CDR file and is not possible. Get some research and found possible to open and save in opensource Inkspace would be nice to import in AD if they can why you are not? ;) . I don't expect to import very complex images from CDR but some compatibility, would be a great improvements.

While we're waiting for direct import of CDR into Affinity Designer, you can save your imported file from Inkscape and then import the saved file (which will be in SVG format) into AD.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)