You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFFINITY Photo PC very slow

My lastest download of Affinity Photo is very slow.

For loading the program, really slow to load a photo, more so for many, same with RAW. and processing.

My machine is fast and works fine with everything else.

Its 64GB , Winpro7, solid state drives, i7 six core, at 4ghz, water cooled, NVIDIA 980GTX 6GB card.

Should be able to do this work easily. But its a bit unusable. Not liking it so far at this speed..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Hi Gary

I don't wish to be offensive or unreasonable but with due respect I don't think you can expect any sort of answer from Affinety soon. I have posted a query about this on the 19th Dec. last year and still had no usable feedback from Affinity. Only response was, after providing a DNG file on request, that a moderator was able to load my file in "a matter of seconds" and  "this could be an issue with your PC spec".

My Win 7 / 64 has similar specs like yours except it has 36GB ram.

Look here:  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32112-open-dng-file/

However subsequent queries of mine remained unanswered. It would be nice to at least get an acknowledgement one way or another to indicate that Affinity know/don't know about this. But to ignore an important issue like this one when other people seem to have the same problem, I don't think is fair.

All it needs is an answer: "Yes we are aware of this (or we are not) and we are working on it" and I would be happy to wait, but as it is at the moment I have no idea whether I should carry on with APh.

• Staff

My lastest download of Affinity Photo is very slow.

For loading the program, really slow to load a photo, more so for many, same with RAW. and processing.

My machine is fast and works fine with everything else.

Its 64GB , Winpro7, solid state drives, i7 six core, at 4ghz, water cooled, NVIDIA 980GTX 6GB card.

Should be able to do this work easily. But its a bit unusable. Not liking it so far at this speed..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forums.

Can you first try resetting the app to default by following the steps below. Once reset can you see if this has made any difference to the loading times, if not can you give me an idea of how long it takes to open a photo. Can you also let me know what type of file the image is and it's size and if it's stored locally or on an external drive.

1, Hold down the CTRL key and open the app

2, When the other windows opens, release the CTRL key

3, Select the Clear button and allow the app to open.

Are any other apps running at the same time as Photo?

I have the same issue, followed instruction to reset, but no change, opening a locally stored Nikon D810 NEF file takes 23.8 seconds!

Using a MS Surface Book, i5, with 8gb of RAM - which handles Capture NX, Photoshop etc no problem at all.

I only bought the other day and have tried 3 files so far - cannot say i will be keeping this if the performance remains as it is - is this why there is no Windows trial?? I DO like the output/processing of the files i have tried.

Any suggestions for a fix before i request a refund?

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forums.

Can you first try resetting the app to default by following the steps below. Once reset can you see if this has made any difference to the loading times, if not can you give me an idea of how long it takes to open a photo. Can you also let me know what type of file the image is and it's size and if it's stored locally or on an external drive.

1, Hold down the CTRL key and open the app

2, When the other windows opens, release the CTRL key

3, Select the Clear button and allow the app to open.

Are any other apps running at the same time as Photo?

Its faster , but now i have lots all my interface adjustments.

How do i get them back. Its faster, but no where near close to as fast a PHOTOSHOP. I can load 10 images faster than one in AF.

Doesn't seem to matter that size. 5mp to 23 mp in size.

Processing is quite slow as well.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Its faster , but now i have lots all my interface adjustments.

How do i get them back. Its faster, but no where near close to as fast a PHOTOSHOP. I can load 10 images faster than one in AF.

Doesn't seem to matter that size. 5mp to 23 mp in size.

Processing is quite slow as well.

Gary

so no one replies.

Not good support so far. The program has problems. I bought designer and photo, hoping for a photoshop replacement.

I use these programs for a living.

Perhaps paying for photoshop is better, they answer my questions.

Hopefully this improves soon, or this will be a short lived diversion.

Gary

The maximum speed and minimum app size can be achieved ONLY by using macro compiler.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

The UI adjustments you made will need to be redone, as those steps resets some of the settings to default.

Is there no way to preserve UI adjustments while resetting everything else? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Is there no way to preserve UI adjustments while resetting everything else?

You can manually copy "UserInterfacePreferences.xml" or save its data from Affinity's "Settings" folder from your user's "AppData/Roaming" folder in windows.

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

You can manually copy "UserInterfacePreferences.xml" or save its data from Affinity's "Settings" folder from your user's "AppData/Roaming" folder in windows.

Thanks. I thought the settings would probably be tucked away somewhere like that, enabling them to be stored and retrieved with relative ease, but Lee's words "The UI adjustments you made will need to be redone" rather suggested otherwise.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)