You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This one is driving me crazy, particularly as AD's freehand-like selection savvyness is one of the things i really love about the app.

I have this world map with african countries on one layer, the rest on another (and a third layer for text).

I want to scale the whole world up, so africa fills more of the artboard, but I can't select-all, 'move' is effectively  stuck as 'pan'.

Is this a bug or what stupd thing am i missing.

A bit urgent this one! I really don't want to resort to using ai to do something so basic.

thanks

video elements 1.afdesign

one planet, one chance

• Staff

Turn on "Edit all layers" - button at the bottom of the Layers panel.  Then you can select everything and scale.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

My "move" and "pan" tools are getting stuck as well - already reported.

Zoom in and out again seems to bring it to its senses but it's becoming a real pain.

No reason why it shouldn't all scale - there's a "scale with object" check box in the "Stroke" panel you need to select.

At present text will scale (I think the bug was fixed)  

As a FH user myself I find the selection methods really frustrating. In FH I got to the point  where I never used the tool box - all achieved with keystrokes.

I'm finding the endless trips to the toolbox tiresome - and the Move/Zoom* bug maddening.

Great potential though - I'm sure it'll get there.

• Staff

Ok - so this is actually a bug not a usage question?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I think it's bug - hard to tell.  Thanks for the "Edit All Layers" - didn't realize that was a thing. But doesn't seemed to have helped.  

And I've unlocked all sub layers.

But the problem seems to be intermittant, i just cant' work out what is making the difference. SO sigh… have had to go back to ai to get the job done (also fore the multiple artboards and pasteboard) - which I HATE.

Gonna keep at this though.

one planet, one chance

• Staff

I've just had this happen myself.  It's very hard to recreate the problem every time, but we know about it and someone will try fix it.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - pester pester - this is SO constant I can't believe it hasn't been patched within a week, let alone three weeks.  Driving me bonkers  - I SOOO want to use this app but almost anything I do triggers this issue and I have to reopen the file not once, but at least twice to be able to use it again.  

Here in the trenches, we could use a little hope! 

one planet, one chance

• Staff

Hi Tim,

I don't want you to lose hope, so I thought I'd post a reply to you! :) There will definitely be a beta really soon - I wanted to get the Corner Tool in and working properly before updating the beta, so this has been the delay, I'm afraid - basically all my fault... We could release an update at any point, but I am very close to finishing it and I'd really like it in there because it changes a lot of things behind the scenes and I want it to go to beta so it gets lots of testing so we could update the Mac App Store version as early as possible... I haven't spoken to Ben about his findings, so I don't know if he has been able to reproduce and fix the issue, either - I'll check with him when he gets in... :)

Maybe I'm guilty of wanting to get too much in each new beta - I just don't want people to get it and go 'where is this feature? I've been waiting for it for months!?!' so I'm trying to make it do too much each time? I can only apologise - it's not because things aren't getting done - I'm just maybe trying to do too much each time? :S I'm hopefully going to be done with the Corner Tool this week so fingers-crossed there'll be an update very soon - and if I'm not, then maybe we should just update the beta anyway? :)

To give you some idea of the scale of the changes, it took Adobe a team of 6 developers working for 6 months and they also had to call in 2 of their 'top guys' to help with the maths behind the problem in order to reach their current solution... (they obviously got stuck on exactly the same thing we've just been stuck on!)... I intend for ours to be better... and we've had 2 people (including myself) looking at it on and off for a few weeks - and we're nearly done now, hehe :) If we'd gone for a simpler implementation like the one in Sketch it would've literally taken a couple of days - but it's ultimately not as useful, so... if you're going to do something, do it properly! :)

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the update Matt - much appreciated.  I understand the desire to roll out a substantive feature upgrade - and when I use AD I get  (something of) a clear sense of how much extra work must have gone in to make AD's implementations so demonstrably better than any other app I've used (frequently including FH, which is saying something). 

I guess I'd want (from the sidelines) to suggest that rolling out bugfix dot-dot-dot update might be worth the bother of the  forking required, for an issue as pervasive as this one.  But whatev's - looking forward to it when it comes.  (that would be the next beta? not the release?)

one planet, one chance

• 2 weeks later...