You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a chart or list of which Wingdings symbol is bound to which key on the keyboard? In other words, how do I select one symbol from all of the Wingdings without having to press each key on the keyboard to find it? How do I distinguish the keystrokes for the various groups of Wingdings on the Fonts list? Where can I find a chart or list if such thing exists?

Suppose I want to insert a right-facing arrow into a photo I am editing...

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Mike. That is the type of chart in need, but I'm on a Mac, and the variety of Wingdings symbols in the font book is immense. Do you know of a chart for those symbols?

I tried to attach a screen shot of some of them, but this forum won't accept any of the usual extensions I tried to use. I guess that is another question I'll have to submit.

Thanks again.

For attaching saved screen shots, you need to click on the button on the bottom right of the reply box, More Reply Options. Then just hover over the buttons and you'll find the right one.

If the screen shot is hosted, from the normal reply box you can enter a URL for it using the Image button.

OK. I assume that on the Mac, all 3 Wingings fonts are rolled into one, but I have no idea. So I don't know if the following page is any better.

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html

Note that there are other pages via the text link. I would think that the Mac has a preview facility where one can copy, then paste the required glyphs?

Mike

Mike: I haven't yet checked the link you sent, but I found a number of sites via Google. It looks like the keystrokes are universal, i.e: Windows and Mac. This is a very extensive website:

http://speakingppt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wingdings-webdings-character-map-speakingppt.pdf

Thanks also for the info as to how to upload to the forum. I don't know why I didn't look there myself.

post-47757-0-24109100-1483574931_thumb.jpg

Hi ajd1170.   To add to Mike's advice, but for your Mac...

-- Font Book" Utility allows users to select, copy and paste a glyph (but doesn't offer keyboard shortcuts).

-- Keyboard Viewer indicates which Command, Shift, Option modifier keys offer standard glyph choices.

Neither of these offer a quickly placed glyph in your AP or any other file.

So:

Have you explored "System Preferences > Keyboard"? Make sure you have ticked "Show input menu in menu bar" near the bottom.

At the right side of the top menu bar, you will see the keyboard language input you have chosen. Click on this to reveal other languages you may have chosen, as well as "Show Emoji and Symbols" and "Keyboard Viewer".

Choose "Show Emoji and Symbols". This offers various subsets of available glyphs (but note that the specific "Dingbats" collection glyphs are mostly if not all in "Private Area" and not readily available.

Select a subset and find the glyph you want to use (the various font versions will appear in the right hand column). Once selected, double-click the glyph and it should appear where your text cursor is placed.

Note that all Unicode variants are also available here.

Hope this helps.

Adding slightly to what Uuiop said, the "Show Emoji and Symbols" menu bar item opens a window that includes a search function, a way to customize the various categories shown in the list on the left, & Frequently Used & Favorites categories. You can add glyphs to the Favorites category, which is handy for ones that cannot be typed from the keyboard (or if you use too many to give each one a keyboard shortcut).

The Dingbats category shows a popup selector at the top that allows you to choose among Webdings & the various Winding sets -- since there are several hundred different glyphs in the Dingbats category this can be useful to keep the lists manageable, but of course does not make finding the glyph you want any easier.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Got it! Thanks, Guys.

I'm embarrassed . Duh - I guess I never thought beyond drag and drop, which doesn't work. Why I never tried copy/paste, or double clicking, I can't explain, other than for a gross lack of mental capacity. All those years wasted.............

What a great place this is. So many folks always ready to help. Thanks again.

Don't do yourself down, ajd1170. We all started from a pretty ignorant state and some of us have just been using this stuff longer.

Will you join me in trying to persuade R C-R to try out a few more of his cheerful hats that kept me amused over Christmas?

Will you join me in trying to persuade R C-R to try out a few more of his cheerful hats that kept me amused over Christmas?

Say no more.  :)

A. J., the "cheerful hats" reference is to the hats my avatar 'wore' over the holidays. I stole the idea from Alfred, whose avatar acquired an elf cap a week or so before Christmas. I gave mine a red Santa's cap for Xmas, & then a couple of party hats for the New Year's celebration.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Uuiop,

The prop is not for cooling. The cap is just another of Professor Farnsworth's ridiculous inventions, touted as an emergency escape device that would save Planet Express crews sent on one of his suicide missions. The prop is supposed to provide an autogyro effect.

Apologies to A.J. for the off-topic silliness.

Affinity Photo