You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi & Happy new year!,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice. I'm a user of Affinity Designer I've trawled the forum and tutorials but can't seem to find an answer to my specific query (I may be being stupid) 

I am trying to make an image larger. Its current dimensions are:  361.7 mm x 241.6 mm. I want it to fit the default for A3 on affinity designer. Doing this by just adjusting is making the image distorted. Is there a way I can make it bigger without it looking stretched in this way?

As I say please excuse my ignorance here. 

Thanks for any help! 

Tomm 

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this but it meant that only half the image fitted in the space. I then used the size handles to adjust it so it fits but now it just looks stretched.

Is there any other way on designer? 

I created a new document using the default A3 size, I then opened the image I wanted, copied the image to the clipboard and then went back to the A3 and pasted, I then dragged out the corner handle so the image kept its aspect ratio to fit the width of the A3

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your help but how do I copy the image to the clipboard?

CTRL+C to copy, ... CTRL+V to paste.

Or, on a Mac, Cmd+C to copy and Cmd+V to paste. ;)

By the way, a 361.7 mm x 241.6 mm image doesn't have the same proportions as an A3 sheet, so if you maintain its aspect ratio when enlarging it to make the long side 420 mm, the short side will only be 280.5 mm (instead of 297 mm).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just a quick heads up:

As MEB noted, dragging the corner handle may not keep the proportions intact if the settings have been changed in preferences.

If that is the case, it sometimes might actually seem like you are keeping the correct aspect ratio when dragging the corner handles with the move tool, but you are actually not.  (Depending on how you drag it)

You can check this by trying to deliberately change the proportions when dragging the corner handles with the move tool.

If it keeps the proportions you are ok.  If not, just hit "Command + Z" ("Control + Z" for Windows - is that right Alfred?) to undo that change.

You could then try holding down the shift key when dragging the handles with the move tool and see if that keeps the aspect ratio intact.

Also - as Alfred noticed - your image doesn't have the same proportions as an A3 sheet.

One way to address this is to resize the image (with the correct proportions) so that it large enough to fill the short side.

Then sacrifice the areas that overlap the A3 sheet on its long side.

:)