You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to quickly crop a document?

Hello,

I am new in AD and try to find my marks. So far I didn't find an answer for this: how can I quickly change the size of a document? The Crop tool doesn't seem to work to set the size of the canvas.

Thank you

• Staff

Hi Veti,

If you are using a regular (non-artboard) document you have to go to the Document Setup dialog ( menu File ▸ Document Setup...) and change the document dimensions there. Make sure Objects will: Anchor to Page button is selected.

If you are using artboard based documents, you can use the Move Tool or the Artboard Tool to drag the boundaries (bounding box handles) of the artboard (make sure the artboard layer is selected in the Layers panel).

If you are using a regular (non-artboard) document you have to go to the Document Setup dialog ( menu File ▸ Document Setup...) and change the document dimensions there. Make sure Objects will: Anchor to Page button is selected.

Hi Meb,

thank you for the help. Hum, what if I can see where I would like to crop but I don't know which dimension it will result to?

• Staff

Affinity Designer doesn't have a document based Crop Tool (similar to Affinity Photo) so there's no visual feedback for this. There's some workarounds but they are not that practical: you may use a stroked rectangle to "position" the "crop area" then look at the Transform panel to see its dimensions before using the Document Setup dialog to resize the document or alternatively convert the document to an artboard, use four guides to define the crop area you are interested in then drag the artboard boundaries to the guides (make sure Snap to guides is checked in the Snapping Manager).

• 2 weeks later...

These features need to be enhanced to meet user expectations both Fireworks and Sketch has a resize to fit option and I really need it using affinty designer. If you had a plugin architecture API we could write our own, is this available/planned ? This is one of the best features of Sketch, users writing plugins to fill in missing functionality and its why Sketch is so popular as the extensions are way beyond the initial product vision/capabilities.

I'm a big advocate of designer but some things really need to be there to convince people to make the jump.

• 4 years later...

It's 2021 and there's still no document type crop tool? You know, some people just like to clean up their files, remove any unnecessary white space before saving and handing it off. A nice button would be much faster than the current workarounds. The fact that people have been working around this for over 4 years after asking for it is a little crazy.

Please add this. This is a quality of life improvement.

Would creating an export slice not be a good way of doing this?
You can set-up a slice which is the exact size and position you want to have as a finished product – with all the export settings you need – and then, when you are finished, go to the Export Persona and export the slice and get the result as you want. You also have the advantage that your document still contains the original ‘non-cleaned-up’ work which can be modified later.
In other words, don’t “clean-up” you document for export, just export what you need instead.
Or am I missing some important information?