You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color profile looks different in different device after image export

Hello,

I am new to affinity photo. I am shooting in sRGB all the time. After export of RAW files to JEPG format, i have observed that the color profiles looks drastically different in my macbook, iphone and ipad.

I am mostly doing web publishing. 

I am using the pre-calibrated "sRGB" color profile for macbook and I am importing the same profile in "Develop" module and during "export" of the images.

Most of the time i transmit these JPG to my iphone for uploading in flickr or instagram.

It is at this instant , i find that the colors look dull and i need to edit them again using the above two platform's option.

It would be very nice if someone can guide me out of this puzzle !

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not knowledgeable on the topic of color management (I'm just starting), but if I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't embed your monitor's sRGB profile into the picture; wouldn't that profile get overloaded on top of your iphone/ipad's display profile, causing further alterations in the colors?

Instead, I'd embed a generic sRGB colorspace into the picture such as the sRGB IEC61966-2.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, when you preview the .jpg in Apple's Preview does Inspector show that the sRGB profile is embedded? I don't have an iPhone but I will test on my colleagues iPhone tomorrow ( when he's back in the office ).

• Staff

Hey mayukh, as F_Kal mentioned above, could we just clarify what you mean by using a pre-calibrated "sRGB" profile? On MacBooks, the default colour profile is usually "Color LCD". Are you assigning this as the colour profile when developing your images?

If that is the case, you should really avoid using "display" profiles with your images - use standardised editing profiles like sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto etc.

The loss of "punchiness" or saturation when viewing on the iPhone sounds like the exported image isn't converted to a standard sRGB profile before or during export. To my knowledge, iPhones only work in sRGB, and they won't convert images that are in other colour spaces, so you must make sure you convert to sRGB beforehand.

If you're working in some other profile like a display profile, that profile will be embedded with the JPEG on export, and you can guarantee that image will then look wrong on other devices like the iPhone, because they will assume an sRGB colour space.

It might be helpful if you were able to provide a screen capture of your main Photo interface. If you could, would you be able to select the View tool (the hand icon near top left) then screenshot your interface using Shift+CMD+3 and attach the image here?

As an aside, how "wrong" does the image look on your iPhone? Is it just the colour saturation, or does the image look warmer/cooler etc? Do you have a spectrometer or profiling device to profile the Macbook's display with, to ensure it's displaying colour accurately?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Me again :)

I've just transferred a couple of images from Affinity, and other apps, to .jpg with sRGB embedded and they appear fine on the iPhone. We transferred the images using AirDrop and Dropbox. How are you transferring the images to the iPhone?

I can only suggest what James stated above, make sure sRGB is being used.

Hey mayukh, as F_Kal mentioned above, could we just clarify what you mean by using a pre-calibrated "sRGB" profile? On MacBooks, the default colour profile is usually "Color LCD". Are you assigning this as the colour profile when developing your images?

If that is the case, you should really avoid using "display" profiles with your images - use standardised editing profiles like sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto etc.

The loss of "punchiness" or saturation when viewing on the iPhone sounds like the exported image isn't converted to a standard sRGB profile before or during export. To my knowledge, iPhones only work in sRGB, and they won't convert images that are in other colour spaces, so you must make sure you convert to sRGB beforehand.

If you're working in some other profile like a display profile, that profile will be embedded with the JPEG on export, and you can guarantee that image will then look wrong on other devices like the iPhone, because they will assume an sRGB colour space.

It might be helpful if you were able to provide a screen capture of your main Photo interface. If you could, would you be able to select the View tool (the hand icon near top left) then screenshot your interface using Shift+CMD+3 and attach the image here?

As an aside, how "wrong" does the image look on your iPhone? Is it just the colour saturation, or does the image look warmer/cooler etc? Do you have a spectrometer or profiling device to profile the Macbook's display with, to ensure it's displaying colour accurately?

Hello James,

Thanks for your exhaustive response. Regarding your query on pre-calibrated "sRGB" profile, i had selected this  from the drop down list of the "Display" option in my macbook and i had assigned the same during developing images.

While exporting to .jpeg, i didnt include the sRBG profile since i read in some articles to undo the option during export.

After trying out numerous option, i finally bought Spyder5 Pro calibrator and the output have changed drastically. However I have one query. Shall i assign the calibrated profile during developing of images in Affinity?? or shall i use the generic sRGB profile?

Thanks in advance.

Me again :)

I've just transferred a couple of images from Affinity, and other apps, to .jpg with sRGB embedded and they appear fine on the iPhone. We transferred the images using AirDrop and Dropbox. How are you transferring the images to the iPhone?

I can only suggest what James stated above, make sure sRGB is being used.

Hello Leigh,

I generally transfer using the iMessage or Airdrop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

While exporting to .jpeg, i didnt include the sRBG profile since i read in some articles to undo the option during export.

This will be the issue. If you embed the sRGB it should look as expected.