You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Gujarati fonts in Affinity Photo - Not working

Hi,

I am trying to use Gujarati fonts in my Affinity Photo on my MacBook - I can see in the Font Book there are 2 Gujarati fonts available, 1. Gujarati MT and 2. Gujarati Sangam MN and they both are looking good in Font Book. However when I try to use the same font in Affinity Photo, somehow the writing remains in English only!!!

Steps:

Add either Artistic Text Tool or Frame Text Tool in the Photo 

Now select any of the above mentioned Gujarati fonts from the drop down above

Start writing words

Actual:

It is writing in English only

Expected:

It should write in Gujarati fonts

For your reference I have attached the screenshot of my image and in that words "asd" should have come in Gujarati however it has not. 

post-47906-0-87669600-1483420878_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi kedesol,

Welcome to the forums.

I've just done a quick test in Affinity Designer (Mac) using a font named Saumil_guj2 and typed "asd". You can see the result in the attached screenshot, can you confirm if this is correct. Can you also attached the font files you're using so I can do some further testing on Mac OSX and Windows.

Do the same fonts work as expected in other apps you have installed, such as Textedit or Pages?

post-22-0-34753500-1483444213_thumb.png

I don't know much about how this should work but I tried using the Gujarati Sangam MN font that came with my Mac, & got the same results as kedesol when I typed characters that Font Book shows at the standard Latin Unicode code points (like "a" at code point U+0061).

I am using a U.S. English keyboard & U.S. English as my system language, if that matters.

However, while I have no idea what code points or glyphs kedesol wants to use in place of the Latin Unicode ones, I can drag any of the ~500 glyphs in the Font Book repertory into an Artistic or Frame text block, or copy any of them from Font Book & paste them into a text block without any problems. (The repertory display is accessed by clicking the second Font Book icon that looks like 3 rows of four dots.)

So I am guessing this is working as expected, that the font is not coded to use non-Latin characters at these code points (assuming that is how some other fonts handle this, which may not be right).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...