You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Eliminating reflections and equalizing exposure for digitized old photographs?

I have digitized several thousand old family photographs and saved them in the native ap format. This was done using a tripod, and a glass plate to flatten the pics. There are some reflections in all the pics which can be see as a darker outline of the camera in the pics. So there are light and dark areas in the pics due to the camera being right over the photo and plate glass.

I would like recommendations on what tools would be useful to equalize the light/dark areas. There are just too many for me to figure out without some assistance. I would like the tools to be smart enough so that I can automate the process with macros if possible (non-destructively of course).

Recommendations?

If I understand correctly, you are 'copying' old photographs.   I use cross polarization when I am photographing any image.   Photos not larger than 8.5 by 14, I use a scanner.

Without the scanner, consider, if you will, two lights, 45 degrees off the axis........the direct line between camera lens and original photo.  Put polarizing filters over each light and another over the camera lens. 

Look up on google, copying photo.

Now, I know this doesn't answer your very question.   For the future, my suggestion would be helpful.

Another AF user will help you.

Cheers,

Davod